Polyend Play

I have a feeling they stopped teasing so they wouldn’t piss everyone off and overhype it, and they’ll probably show it at SuperBooth.

Honestly, I’m no marketing expert, but considering how many companies showcase stuff at these events, I would use the empty space between events to showcase stuff, because media outlets have nothing to post about and use every opportunity to fill the gaps. And then just use the event to allow people to get their hands on it.

That’s my 2 cents

2 Likes

hope so, I’m ready for the new era of portable beat machines that don’t skimp on sample storage/project mem… and that go overboard in the sample freaking territory… overboard with interesting audio fx for mangling, and overboard with great midi fx to compliment an elektron level sequencer…

why aren’t there any beat machines like the new squarp sequencer that samples and edits samples… it’s like a conspiracy to either put a dope sequencer in a machine or a sampler but there’s a reluctancy for both

7 Likes

PREACH :raised_hands:

3 Likes

:grin:

My thoughts exactly :))

1 Like

Or maybe the processors aren’t as powerful as we think. Maybe it’s not possible at this moment in time to have both in a small form factor. Not atleast with a decent price tag.

2 Likes

It’s doable, but it means either an internal network of smaller, relatively easy to work with chips, or moving up into cellphone-class processors that are much harder to build hardware around and have short part lifetimes, making it hard to keep a machine on the market for more than a couple of years if you can get it there. Neither is accessible to small manufacturers. If you could get them, your best bet might be to build around e.g. a couple of raspberry pi 4bs, keeping all the IO and interface hardware entirely USB, but good luck finding them.

2 Likes

Maybe the Tracker runs afoul of skimpy project memory? But it certainly combines a great sampler and amazing sequencer.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much a Norns (which uses only one RasPi and has its own custom sound card etc), which has several capable samplers and sequencer scripts available, with or without a Grid.

With the open source Shield version and a clue of Launchpads as a substitute Grid, it’s a very reasonably priced system, if not always the most immediately intuitive.

1 Like

Same as op-z. Great sequencer and (some) good sampling features, buuuut pretty limited storage.

Yet my lemondrop can store 32gb of audio and granualise two 30sec audio samples at once. The Microgranny can play back a 50hr sample!

What is the rational? What is the barrier?

Why not stick a massive card in a Tracker? Why not stick a decent sequencer on a Microgranny?

2 Likes

And weird / bad sample management :smiley:

1 Like

This is not the thread for me to raise my marginal grievances with op-z sampling. With the line module the op-z is actually a really great unit and reduced my gas for this new Polyend unit.

Almost my sole interest in this new Polyend box is around sampling though. And again I defer to @captain8

Polyend Overboard has a nice ring to it.

3 Likes

Are people really thinking this is going to be another sampling groovebox, with a near-identical form factor to the Tracker but a completely different mode of operation? From a company that only makes like five products total? If this is anything more than a sequencer I’ll eat a MIDI cable.

4 Likes

It’ll be really disappointing if it’s just a seq.

2 Likes

Honestly, “just a seq” is exactly what I wanted two years ago. Like, a Tracker, but more focused on MIDI, and with SEQ niceties and CV. But the Oxi One and Hapax happened in the mean time, and now I care less. No fault of Polyend, it’s just a brutal sequencer market right now.

And honestly I’m kind of in the same boat regarding a “Tracker but FM and/or VA”. Would have sold my aunt for it two years ago (the Deluge never clicked with me), but the M8 happened in between, and now I care less.

Though I should note that “care less” means I will still buy it to get into it, sorting out my favorites and putting the rest on the chopping block later. One benefit of crowded markets is that UI and “feel” count a lot more, and I’ve always liked the experiences Polyend delivers.

decent sequencer in a microgranny sounds incredible. even better if they somehow incorporate some of the thyme stuff as an internal effect. a bastl groovebox would be even more exciting to me than a polyend one, especially after i’ve seen what they’ve done with the softpop 2

polyend+dreadbox was cool but polyend+bastl would be even cooler imo

3 Likes

This is crucial. But I feel it’ll be purely midi-based :frowning:

Granular groovebox is the dream!

When Bastl did a call out for product ideas on insta I mentioned it. Groovegranny! Even a Polygranny with multi-timbrality would be halfway there.

That is basically what I hope this Polyend box is (plus some funky synth stuff, but I think that is a stretch).

I imagine it takes years for small teams to develop these devices though. So maximum respect to anyone who can actually ship such creative devices!

Excited to see what Polyend release and wish them every success…

3 Likes

Mostly noting that if you end up being CPU-limited, being able to dedicate one board entirely to audio and run all of your UI and midi processing on another board will get you a bit further along, but that doing that without a ton more hardware dev time means starting to deal with networks of machines inside the single unit, which adds a lot of complexity to software development. You end up paying the cost on one side or the other, and either way, it may just be too much for most teams right now. Even e.g. Digico/Allen & Heath struggle to build and ship hardware on modern high-end CPU platforms in the time window they have for part availability, per an engineer who used to work there, and they have a much larger team and a lot more resources.

nice find…

the Po Box

3 Likes