Polyend Play

stocking up on diapers just incase because if it’s only a sequencer I’ll be pissed.

1 Like

Some of the teases kind of gave me the vibe that it could be some amalgamation of a looper and sequencer… which I guess would kind of be like a sampler but with focus on live input and the ability to sequence that. If it is that it gets a :+1: from me.

6 Likes

norns with built in grid. something like an oxi one with a big enough case and battery to power a shield or something

2 Likes

a norns / grid all in one combo machine would be awesome

5 Likes

neither confirm nor deny. THB a sampler makes sense given their track(er) history

Screenshot 2022-04-14 at 09.33.53

1 Like

Looks clearly like an 8-track sampler to me. 8x16-pads are steps 1-16 and 8x4-pads are solo/mute/fx for each track. So similar to the tracker but with horizontal sequencing and lots of rotary controls for sample editing.

Yeah ,after rewatching his video again, it looked like he was muting drum tracks. Could be like a drum sampler with 8 knobs. I know for sure it has at least 8 knobs from the first leaked image. So I imagine you can edit a few params for the samples.

But if you can’t play chromatic shit, and it’s good just for drums… meh…

The Sonicware guys got it right for me so far. But September is so far away :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds great to me! Hopefully not too long to find out…

I‘m also slightly disappointed as I was hoping for a groundbreaking sequencer…I guess that happens when you draw out the teaser period for too long!

Yep, unfortunately they‘ve already shot that down on IG.

The first leaked image showed around 15 knobs, I think.

id be interested to see what sets this device apart from the others in this saturated market, if it indeed is a drum sampler.

Well, as far as stand alone grid instruments go, there’s not a whole lot out there. Deluge and Circuit are the only ones that use that kind of interface in a grid-like environment with onboard sound sources. Grid needs a norns, tracker’s nice but not really grid-like in the sense that the Dellie and monome’s grid are, Squarp did a sequencer only …

So if someone nails the gridbox concept, I believe there’s a place for it. Deluge got it conceptually right, but there’s room for someone to take it to the next level, if Synthstrom doesn’t do it themselves at some point.

6 Likes

Something deluge-ish with a decent small screen and some more dedicated buttons (versus the combos that always get criticism) would be welcome here.

OR … something hapax-ish with internal synth and sample sound sources … equally welcome.

5 Likes

I’ve totally dismissed the Hapax since it didn’t generate sound on its own and I’m not looking for a sequencer, but yeah, that looks dope!

1 Like

Just to continue the speculation, it is indeed confusing that he is also using the RM1x, he is controlling external synths with it and it seems that it is what starts the sequence on the Polyend device as well but towards the end after muting and unmuting some tracks there is a filter sweep on the Polyend device controlling multiple tracks. It could be MIDI (and I can be off) but this suggests that some of the sounds are coming directly from the Polyend mystery box so it is probably not “just” a seq.

Do you feel the release date is coming close?

3 Likes

My guess is sometime this week coming.

1 Like

yeah i agree. the internal sound mutes make sense. but i also use digitakt in a similar way, to control all of my hardware synths, and sometimes ill use octa mutes to mute audio, but most of the time i mute midi tracks on the digitakt

you’d think the release date would be close after the teasers, but i would have expected them to announce it by now

It’ll be the Seq meets a sampler - great to run your own samples and sequence them, equally great to run external hardware.

Polyend’s good at both, so their combined exp from Tracker and Seq into one machine.

But in stereo, Polyend, ok? And with streaming. Not even Elektron will get away with this mono-only SillyTinyRAM one more time.

7 Likes

‘one more time, we’re gonna celebrate, oh yea alright we’re mono-samplin’!’

Seriously though, I hear you. I’m sick of mono samples… On the one hand I respect that lots of drums are mono but for one thing, there’s the MFB Tanzbär clap that is pure bliss in stereo.

And as for the tiny RAM and disk streaming, again I hear you loud and clear. Just hope Polyend do too.

1 Like