Polyend Play

Ahh man, was really hoping for a synth engine (Subtractive/FM) but going off those images and labeling, it looks like its just the Tracker but in a groovebox/grid sequencing format? Still hoping it does have synth engines like the Deluge though, cos’ I still have my eye on one.

2 Likes

I think I’m safe from this one regardless of whether it samples (which it surely must?). It’s the same story as the Syntakt, too much overlap with gear I already have. So once again it’s the GAS-addled, middle-aged gear-gathering lunatics who’ve been let down and hung out to dry. I might have to dress as Batman and climb up Big Ben.

6 Likes

If this thing turns out to be a Sampler and Sequencer, so we can use 8 Sampler Channels and 8 Midi channels to control 16 devices in total i will be floored.

I hope it becomes the successor to the OctaTrack that we all so dearly want this year.

The workflow of this device has my speculative imaginings in overdrive…definitely looking forward to the release video and demos of this box.

Odd question, what abbreviation will we use for this device?
Is it the PEP or PP?:crazy_face:

1 Like

i muted this thread yesterday… might be worth unmuting, … unsure if its basically a digitakt with easier to access functions.

i’ll wait a day or two think.

KRKs!!! No wonder why PT’s low end is so flaky!! He thinks it’s booming!

7 Likes

No let’s hope it’s the OT upgrade we all want :wink:

1 Like

If this had a drum synth hidden in there Syntakt orders would be falling off a cliff.

2 Likes

If it’s as good or better than the OT on paper it will sell amazingly well. We already know the workflow will be better if the Tracker UI is any indication of what is possible on a device with this form factor.

Hopefully the code base is the same for the Play + Tracker to insure a good platform upgrade cycle.

They’ve already declared it the new Trinity. So….

But, maybe they could break new ground to have the first Quadrinity….[doubt it]

This is cool… But honestly I’ve been messing with my mpc all day… and I don’t see how anything can be measurably better… I just don’t think I need much anymore…

It does seem like these more generative stuff moves you too make a certain kind of music different then I make on mpc… but I already have elektron, opz, etc… I’m not sure how many of these things do I need?? Lol

2 Likes

Is there any Inputs (at least, 4) or any Cue Out on this thing? Does it have a Cross Fader?

3 Likes

Elektronauts be like:

13 Likes

I didn’t say i was getting rid of my OT :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I have a feeling this is actually more of an entry level kit. Fun as hell, like them Models, but not aimed for the audience searching at the deep end of the pool.

Yes, there’s always the argument “But even something simple is awesome in the hands of …” sure, and that’s impressive, but it’s not interesting

Give me something interesting. I’m impressed all the time by what skilled musicians do with rocks and scissors. But I’m interested in kits that actually do more than just challenge the idea of making something with nothing.

11 Likes

Market saturation ahoy…

I’m thinking with a name like “Play” it may not be too deep, but shines in performing. So maybe no sampling? Like some others have said, maybe similar to an M:S. Just a guess. And If that is the case I would expect it to be priced similarly to, or even less than the Tracker. The form factor of the grid with all those knobs could also open it up to different variations, like an FM synth version, wavetable version, or even virtual analog. Just speculating of course.

1 Like

I reckon it won’t sample, but maybe will resample.

1 Like

As a lot of others have mentioned, if this thing doesn’t have onboard synths that will be a pretty big miss IMHO. There are some Deluge features that I’m happy the device has but I rarely use (full size midi, CV, etc.) but onboard synths seem like a table-stakes thing for a device like this.

5 Likes

preach I keep getting urges to get other stuff then I sit down on my mpc and it just kills. I really think the thing needs a UI refresh. Wouldn’t complain about an update in general but that’s mostly a desire for novelty than a dire need for anything more

if it can resample my interest will be piqued

and by resample I mean live old school elektron esque stuff for mutating on the fly type scenario. not static ala digitakt.