Polyend Play

I hope this plays well with Elektron boxes!

The tracker did not!

I can’t agree more. Years ago I was playing around with Elektrons and people would usually say “damn! those things are complicated!” and nowadays every neighbour’s son has one. So complexity levels have risen up and to make something innovative and even more flexible than what is already around is a very difficult task. I love to have the chance of doing whatever rhythmical mischief possible with my gear, but usually don’t do it. Just want the possibility to be there. I have a PT and have had grid sequencers too, but nothing like a good old linear 16 step sequencer. Best interface for electronic music, and imho, the original real and one and only Electronic Music Instrument. Like the electric guitar for rocknroll.

3 Likes

Old school Elektron? Im suddenly feeling ancient :face_with_monocle:

:sweat_smile:

I’m hoping this will be the little box that lets me do what the Digitakt does but with a grid interface. Skipping across the tracks was the only thing I didn’t like.

Are you sure about that? I’ll bet many who bought a DX7 back in day have no clue up until this day how to operate it. Same probably goes for Elektron gear. I’m willing to bet 90% (if not more) will stay on the surface and never go deep into these machines as the other 10%.

Ok, I listened to the whole interview. Peter said that this new device has very advanced capabilities and which allows you to do a lot, on which you will do a whole song and even an album. But they tried to make it very easy to use. Advanced capabilities but easy to use - a device he says is unlikely to be on the market.

It’s also meant to make it easy for people who are musically uneducated. He said that he predicts that a 30 second tutorial will be enough to know 80% of how to make music on this device.

Interestingly - in the 42nd minute of the interview he said that they are working on mini versions of the tracker and this other device. One that can be held in the hand, will be battery powered and will have a built-in microphone. So when the teasers start coming out again next year you know what to expect. :wink:

Other interesting facts from the interview - the biggest fail of the company is the jogwheel from the tracker.

27 Likes

Thanks for the translation. That sounds great. Brilliant ideas from Polyend in the future too!

‘Being very advanced’ and ‘80% learned in 30 seconds’ feels a bit contradicting don’t you think? :thinking:

4 Likes

that all sounds wonderful tbh.
looking forward to this and their future handhelds :fire:

That sounds to me like they’ve gone to town with the UI to ensure it’s easy to use but it’s capable of more advance stuff for those users who really want to dig deep and push things to the limits.

1 Like

He didn’t specify how long to learn the remaining 20% of the features :wink:

4 Likes

I really hope so! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope the headroom is improved on this vs the tracker. Worrying about gain staging is not a thing I’ve ever had to think about on hardware but I found myself clipping the outputs consistently when using the Tracker. Made the product feel “unpolished”.

5 Likes

I’m also curious if this is possible. In the interview he said that they were testing it on Piotr’s brother, who has no time and no skills, but would like to make music.

And one more thing - he said that they’re releasing teasers now, but they’re going to Berlin in a while, so they’ll probably show this thing at Superbooth.

2 Likes

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

• someone who wants us to believe this was said by Leonardo DaVinci

I love the idea of combining ease of use with expansive possibilities. That’s good design.

Edit: It has been brought to my attention that this quote is misattributed.

“The internet is full of lies about quotes and who said them.”

• Me, just now
5 Likes

Crap. Two more weeks

The first thing that popped my mind was the Novation Circuit.
At least the Polyend Play looks a million times more promising. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What I’m missing in all the material so far is a piano roll view. It all looked like 8 stacked tracks, similar to their Seq hardware. In the video you can even see how he’s editing a track in this view. Their Seq was the ultimate waste of a huge ass 8x32 button matrix.

I think it’s more like the MC 101. Hold a step and twist a knob for length