Polyend Play

What if, in the interest of simplifying and being able to learn this thing right away, there’s no external sequencing? Would that be product suicide? Or if it was really good at what it was focused on (and the price was less than an all in one box) it would be worth it?

1 Like

It wouldn’t be a dealbreaker for me, IMHO. It certainly doesn’t seem like it’s going to have a ton of I/O, so cutting it completely wouldn’t be that big of a change. It doesn’t seem like they’re going for the Deluge/Oxi One level of I/O, so maybe you’re right and they just redirect resources to other things. Personally, I’d love to see velocity (or even aftertouch/MPE) buttons, but I know that’s very unlikely.

2 Likes

Releasing 2 samplers in a row. Bold move.

3 Likes

A MIDI in/out splitter seems unlikely as these MIDI jacks usually use TRS connectors, so you’d need custom sockets and jacks to carry two signals. This does make three sockets a tricky guess - maybe it only has MIDI out? That’d leave room for audio input and output, and on a device like this I could see MIDI in being sacrificed without too much hoo-hah, especially with a USB port available… that’d make much more sense to me than not sampling, because that’s a lot of hardware to throw at a sampler without an input.

On the other hand. maybe it’s designed to sample over USB? But for a device designed like that, a hardware MIDI input wouldn’t make much sense, so the three ports would remain a mystery.

Or maybe it does all its MIDI business over USB, and the sockets are phones, audio in and audio out.

Ah, excellent, I think I’ve speculated myself to sleep.

4 Likes

I figure it’ll come in at around about this price point $idon’tcare.00

2 Likes

It’s interesting to see them both side by side. The Tracker has all those capabilities that makes it a kind of simplified DAW. Maybe the Play is something more focused, so they can make a good pair without much overlapping.

2 Likes

BTW, nice place, Piotr!

Seems the tracker has been a huge financial success…

I have invested 600 usd in that house!!

1 Like

tracker has a big knob tho’

So I just saw this picture on Facebook… seems legitimate, but still who knows

4 Likes

I think it’s a Polyend Tracker ‘custom performance / launch controller’ + parameter (Trig) sequence (overrides)

Enough buttons to immediately trigger (launch) patterns beyond the 48 buttons, 96 , or double up and sync up another tracker (like two Technics TTs side by side this being a ‘super fader with additional dj eq fx / filtering?) and having control over both 48 first pattern sequences. (you can go beyond but not have instant control - if only they made a oct up / down button that could double up as a pattern row up / down. like e.g. the launch :wink: )

The rotary knobs offer direct control over the parameters in performance mode, + delay / reverb or even any custom instrument parameters like e.g. granular control for those nice snare buzzsaws???

Rotary knobs to have more precise control ( micro steps 0 - 128 on e.g. Filtering, cut/rez)

• track mutes / solo buttons x 16
    or maybe assignable buttons to have the rotary control multiple performance parameters at once when ‘holding them pressed down’ ?

Yup, Polyend Launch is my wild guess

Stazma was using some custom launch device before, which would unfortunately only run on an old version of Ableton, to do those nice and crazy instant break core and fx tricks (extreme ‘square pushing’) looping / triggering / filtering…

so maybe this is like a live performance tool for skilled Polyend Ninja’s?

(damn the picture of the dj controller in the previous post - kinda beat me to the punch. Would be the most obvious choice for a supplement to the Tracker and a nifty little device! + audio interface and monitoring?)

Am i the only one whos a little nervous about the dude not having a powercord for his laptop with him?

The crossfader is interesting, but doesn’t it make sense only when you have two units of the same gear? Or maybe they will make a way to link different gears.

Nah, you can crossfade between any audio devices. You can use two different samplers, drum machines, instruments, whatever, and perform/DJ between them.

Looking forward to see some wax wizardry

scratching with 2 Trackers. Some looping + fader flipping action and one should be good to go??? Scratching (of sorts) with the Polyend Tracker :slight_smile:

A polyend ‘midi fighter’ with some more crazy granular fx could also be another nice addition???

Now if this DJ controller could double up as an OverHub ??? You could hook up some more midi controllers ??? like a KB, Faders, midi fighter etc (or Behringer BCR32 !!!)

While this dj device supplies power to both Trackers (midi keyboard / gear) + keeps the class compliant audio over USB ??? !!!

Or even A nice Polyend Tracker sized velocity sensitive keyboard, like those korg
mikro controllers but with additional ribbon sliders PB / MW ( freely assignable ofcourse ) Nice sleek flat Polyend design.

Yeah, but usually you want them to be doing something “connected”, right?

Not really. In a classic turntable set up the DJ crossfades between two turntables, just the DJ beat matching them by ear. Here’s an example: So lets say you are playing/performing a track on something like a Tracker, and you need to load another project, well there is a load time, so you get another track started on another sampler, or drum machine, or something else that it is midi’d up to, and then you crossfade over and load the next track.

I can’t really tell beyond this point.
Anyone have better de-blur tech ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, that makes sense. I think OT has shaped how I use crossfader too much.

1 Like

Labels are already (mostly) figured out. See post #607 in this thread :slight_smile: