Post your artwork here - please read the "rules" : )

Do you have a website/Instagram etc?

Not atm but just today I was thinking about creating a website.
I will share it here when Iā€™ve got something done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see some of the same techniques that Francis Bacon used.

Nice colors too.

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™m a huge fan of his work.
Iā€™ve made an effort to steer away from that influence since though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah these are great. Interesting, minimal, tasteful. Would love to see more

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ve been too busy with painting lately. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh! I called it!

Iā€™m glad you said that, because I almost pointed out that your composition had nothing to do with him, but I didnā€™t know if you were going for it or not.

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting. I see such great art on here and sometimes itā€™s discouraging knowing my stuff isnā€™t as evolved. But then I remind myself that a primary and basic style was the same merit. Yes, it is amateurish, but there is a need for that kind of contrast.

If I was as good as everyone else, then there wouldnā€™t be anywhere else for me to go.

Same for music. Iā€™m so happy I struggle with it so much, so that way there will always be a place for me to go. Something just out of reach.

2 Likes

A cool workaround would be to paint the generated image. The use of reference images also leads to some issues though, like Fairy and the Obama painting, or Lichtenstein and the comics.

But even Norman Rockwell painted from photo references that he shot himself.

Two of mine, Pastel Chalk, Pigments and other stuff.

14 Likes

I hear you. I guess no matter how good you are, happiness comes from the struggle.
The attitude of Francis Bacon was really crucial for me to start painting.
There are some good documentaries on YT that made me think why not give it a try.

Learning your own technique and just trying to find your own style is very fun, and often times tedious and infuriating hehehe.

1 Like

Yup. I see the economy of technique in some work in museums. Sometimes itā€™s the limitations that dictate the composition. And as long as you stay quiet about it, it can be seen as intentional, when really itā€™s a compromise.

Look at Van Gogh. His style was trash compared to his contemporaries, but defined his generation.

Iā€™m interested to see how far I can take it, for all my experiences led to me being here and now, and it informs all my decisions.

And Bacon literally willed himself to being an artist. He was a furniture designer. Saw Picasso, and declared that he could do the same thing.

His later work catered to expectations though because of his need for fame.

Itā€™s funny, Iā€™m in school now for art at City Colleges. And I had to do a paper on an artist, and I chose Bacon. Itā€™s documented that he was sexually attracted to his father.

So the title of my paper was ā€œI love you, daddy.ā€

1 Like

Never worked with pastel chalk or dry pigments before, care to share any thoughts on your process?

Nice focus points, looks kinda gloomy otherworldly landscapeā€™ish to me. Good choice with the frames too!

1 Like

5 Likes

Started playing around with data-bending the other night. Excited to learn more about this, these were all made by importing the photoā€™s raw data into Audacity and then applying various effects and then re-exporting as the original file format. These are very half hazard and random, but I can definitely see the possibility for more deliberate results that are still somewhat unpredictable.

17 Likes

deadly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah please do!

1 Like

Neat! Iā€™m curious how the green tint comes to be in the third image.

Any approximate guide on how to do that? Is there anā€¦ ā€œexport as .wavā€ feature hidden somewhere in your photo editing software or something, haha

1 Like

In Audacity there is an ā€œimport raw dataā€ option where you can import other file types and it converts them into wavs. .exe files are instant harsh noise tracks lol. Iā€™m planning on doing more with that and cutting up weird clicks and pops it makes to use as attack transients in my rytm. Hereā€™s a video I watched to get started

Also Iā€™m not sure which was which anymore but i think the third image was a pitchshifting experiment.

7 Likes

Quick self portrait :sweat_smile:

5 Likes