Post your artwork here - please read the "rules" : )

I keep forgetting to browse my external photos drive for more examples so I just snatched a few from my heavily neglected Behance profile:

giveup

(when I was mostly into blackletters)

21 Likes

Ah, thats brilliant, thank you :slight_smile:
I have been thinking of getting a few t-shirts printed up and booking a space at a local market here in Oslo, just to see if I get any interest. Sold a few kids ones before, but fancy seeing if I can create something that would appeal to adults.

A great thread. Complete lickshot for me!
Drawing was my ting!!! I used draw all the time. I went to college when I left school to do further my studies but I bummed out massively. Everybody else was much more talented than me and I wanted to rave and havenā€™t looked back until recently.

My job as Preschool teacher which Iā€™ve been doing for 7 years now brought back the love for me. I often sketch with the children during morning free play and then I started making countless worksheets. Although the school is an expensive private school for the students it doesnā€™t have a lot of resources. We are still using a 2010 version of word. Seats in the staff room are poop and have back injury written all over them. There are t enough computers for the teachers. For that reason and because some people were saying I was spending to much time on my worksheets I started going in an hour early every day. Rinsed out a years worth of worksheets for the Year 2ā€™s (4-5 yr olds). I got made a main teacher for the Year 1ā€™s and Iā€™ve been doing that for the past two years. Iā€™m using mostly free images and a lot of the ā€˜insert shapeā€˜ features of word and after a year I had a heaps of worksheets. Although all children are Japanese, they are nailing English.

I find myself at the photocopier a lot and it makes sense to make a book. Problem with pictures. Found pixabay. Problem solved. But now I am going deeper still and have set about creating all the pictures. I hope this will benefit my technique and I can hone something by the end of it. Then Iā€™m going to work on my children story book that I have the sketches for and one book written.

Does anybody have any experience with releasing picture story books for children or educational material. Iā€™d be very interested to broaden my knowledge in this aspect.

Here are some drawings Iā€™ve been doing on my bus commute and some eveningsā€¦

Lastly, just like to add that drawing is so cool. One kid was upset on the steps yesterday so I went to talk with him. I was like ā€œWhatā€™s up, buddy?ā€ ā€œDo you want to be at home with your toys?ā€ He was like ā€œYeahā€ and I was like ā€œMe too, I love being at home. But we have to here right? So letā€™s do something fun.ā€ His favourite thing is drawing. So we sat down together with pencil and paper and talked about some ideas to draw. We ended up with aliens. This next part is very interesting; I find if I am at home and I am going to sketch ideas elude me but when Iā€™m acting as a vessel of inspiration it just pours out of me. Ideas flow out of me and it in turn has a positive effect on the atmosphere and the little kids around me.

I drew this karate alienā€¦ took a photo of it and imported it into an Affinity project on my iPad Proā€¦ he loved seeing the results this morning. We drew again this morning. Anyway, here is ā€˜Karate Alien.ā€™

7 Likes

Iā€™ve just downloaded your painting and Iā€™m going to use it as my lock screen. So good!

1 Like

Loving this!!!

1 Like

cool thread! wish I had discovered it earlier

Iā€™m not able to draw but I like a lot to tweak stuff in audacity/processing, this is one of the latest pics I made:

10 Likes

Throughout my life Iā€™ve met a bunch of people who are really into art / drawing / painting / image manipulation - whatever you wanna call it and theyā€™ve told me they canā€™t draw.
In most cases this is because they think what they draw needs to resemble what they see to some kind of photographic precision. That comparison is unreasonable even for people that do have that level of skill but it certainly doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t draw.
I believe everyone can draw - uniquely and very well. You just have to do it and see it for what it is - Nobody can see and move their hands in the same ways and that in itself is a very powerful thing.
Most people looking at David Shrigleyā€™s drawing would say the guy canā€™t draw but heā€™s made an entire career out of it and personally I find his work amazing on so many levels.

Just draw.

19 Likes

Well said.

Also, thank you for pointing me in the direction of David Shrigley - his stuff is brilliant!

2 Likes

Lewis Trondheim, a well-known French comic-book writer, likes to say that before he wrote ā€œLapinot et les Carottes de Patagonieā€ he didnā€™t know how to write.
He totally improvised on 500 pages and after that he had enough material to start very different series. Published in 1992, this comic book received a price in 2005.

Another very ugly drawing (still French, sorry) is ā€œGeorges Clooney, une histoire vraiā€
This looks like itā€™s been drawn by a teenager and the scenario is very poor, but the story works and the author sold his book while the story was for free on his blog.

I feel like with internet made ā€œgood tasteā€ filters between artists and crowd a bit obsolete, or at the very least made it possible for the weird and ugly to find their audience.

Anyway, itā€™s a very good reason to go wild and care little about what people around you think.
Talent comes with passion, work, determination, and some taste for whatā€™s new I guess.

2 Likes

This guy does similar artwork, he does the drippy cartoon character thing (Simpsons, Nightmare Before Christmas & some of his own characters) but makes wood cut outs of them. Been watching him for awhile, your art reminded me of his. Good stuff

1 Like

Thanks for adding the link - I like the Georges Clooney strip a lotā€¦ It looks like itā€™s drawn with the Paper app on an iPad (which is very nice for this kind of thing)
Thereā€™s a lot to be said about good and bad taste and how the internet has influenced pretty much everything. Saturation beyond saturation and a very unhealthy dollop of subjectivity masquerading as fact.
Not to derail this awesome thread hereā€™s an ink drawing of mine. Itā€™s taken from a google maps view of an estuary / tributary system. But it could also just be a monster. Or a splurge.

10 Likes

Badass I assumed youā€™d bought a pair of tiny glasses to put on him, never expected that

@HisMostDarxxxellent I had a pal who did a pink drippy style with paint pens over some photos a few years back and I wanted to have a bash at it in my own way, bit trippier. Iā€™ve seen a couple of people doing it with pop culture characters as of recent like @Sharris posted. I was majorly into graffiti for years but kinda stopped once dad life hit. Still drop a piece occasionally but ainā€™t rattled a can in years now. Plan on drawing more

@Sharris thatā€™s pretty sweet, I donā€™t know what Iā€™d do with all those big wood characters once I got bored of them though. I was gonna make some prints to hang in my studio. I did a bart one as my first test run but the other ones came out much better imo, probably gonna redo Bart

6 Likes

So here is a piece of art from me.

Work process is as follows

I saw a cool YouTube video on my phone and captured a screen shot

Some may call it copyright infringement but to me itā€™s a captured frame and a remix of a picture that has been drawn and wasnā€™t finished or so I think

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

I melt glass in my spare time, when Iā€™m not in surgery, making music, or hanging with the fam. It is very engaging. And hot. And bright. I also use UV reactive glass in some of my pieces.

22 Likes

In a past life I was a graffiti artistā€¦

24 Likes

How do you melt glass? With volcanic heat source?

Amazing. Where is this? North America or Poland/Belarus if Europe?

2000 degree blowtorch. It used to be my second job while my wife was taking care of our kids when they were little. Now itā€™s a hobby, like making weird electronic music, only hotter, with a steeper learning curve.

7 Likes

Thanks. Its in Norway. We have a small population of these animals up in one mountain area.

image image image image

15 Likes