PULSAR-23 by SOMA

Not really no :smile:
I did make a solid kick which sounds good but not with that specific timbre.

1 Like

yeah it’s weird, all the vids I have seen were like the same and very small palette of sound, but this new vid seems to be finally doing justice to this monstermachine. BUT… it is heavy modulated by external cv! Check topleft of the machine all those minijacks are cv inputs I think, also it’s Richard Devine, king of heavy modulation. I doubt it if we can get the same sound.
Did Vlad implement the option to quantize a lot of people were asking?

I respect how soma go about their business and they are a small operation but think they need to cover the basics with a few short videos, core sounds, looping etc. I’m more interested in knowing how open the instrument is. The demos are in crazy town.

Devine actually said it’s all pulsar, I don’t think he’s modulating it with external cv

2 Likes

I’m going to ‘say’ it.

Random bloopy glitchy bulls@%t
Better demos please.

5 Likes

I don’t think am blind! Look at the manual, eurorack pin adaptor and check again the vid topleft, I see 8 eurorack cables going into the pulsar. That’s cv from his other eurorack stuff! I also see 4 or 5 alligator clips are used to route the cv to different parts of Pulsar. The sound is all Pulsar but he used a lot of external cv to make such complex patch on pulsar!

4 Likes

I hear you. I want to know I can control the pulsar and get crazy and bring it back. I get that its meant for weirdness but being able to go on the journey and come back would be good. building to madness and bringing it back was good enough for Stravinsky…

The question was about external FX not modulation. I expect there’s external modulation; the sequencer seen through the cables seems synced.

From the manual:
While Looper Recorder has a basic quantize option for individual LR channels, it does not allow for step-by-step editing of a rhythmic pattern.
So it does quantize now? But basic what does that mean?

I think its all Pulsar too. It seems to be connected to external gear yes, but i dont think modulation comes from there. I own SOMA Lyra-8 (and I preorderded Pulsar) and it can get heavily modulated and very strange ways by its own. If you look at Pulsar’s modulation options there are even more of them than there is in Lyra.

If i remember correctly, Vlad posted some info that he added quantize option to Pulsar. Personaly i am not intrested in this option, because i think the whole thing of Soma’s products is that you play them like they were traditional instruments. I mean that you really have to learn to play them, not just program them like computers. And that was the reason i got intrested of Soma’s stuff at the first place.

I dont like Random “Random bloopy glitchy bulls@%t” neather, but i think that is what people want to hear. And its far more easier to make glitchy sounds than good music.

1 Like

pff then why would he stack 8 eurorackcables into pulsar to not use them, just for show and more messy cable??? Look at where the crococables toptleft of the machine goes (they convert incoming cv on minijack to output cv on bolts.
DO I really need to analize the patch a bit further for you:
Red croco modulates something of the first looper module
White goes to the fx section and the other white one goes to the 4th looper
Think the green one goes to the LFO section, perhaps to reset the internal lfo
etc.

well, doesn’t mean they are connected on the other end. I do that all the time, I keep connexions ready on one end in case I want to use them, but I don’t most of the time. He probably did used them at some point. But since he claims it’s all Pulsar on the posted jams, why not take his word for it ? It’s generally a loss of energy trying to figure out Devine’s patches :slight_smile:

I guess it’s gonna be a pass on the Pulsar for me despite a quite early preorder, will wait for more use cases demos as well, quite tired of the glitchy stuff and I have a hard time figuring out the whole potential of the machine. Although I’m sure it is brilliant, I love my Lyra

2 Likes

I agree, it seems weird that he would flat out lie about what he’s doing…also if you watch some other videos he’s posted, he’s got nothing external going on and getting insanely wild modulation going on, that’s definitely all pulsar.

3 Likes

Exactly. My stuff is connected to other stuff all the time, but that does not mean i dont use them stand-alone. And when Somalab especially commented the video thats all pulsar, why would they lie?

2 Likes

Yall: He said “no other effects”, nothing about external modulation.

He didn’t lie. But the original question was not about external modulation.

4 Likes

For me, it would be because of a talent gap,
not lack of modules. You don’t need complicated external gear to get weird-ass results from Soma kit. My challenges with the LYRA-8 are always in channeling it predictably.

1 Like

well its good we have some stuff to talk about! its been very quiet. to me the videos are not all that useful in trying to understand what the machine does. you can have glitchy and musical, they are not mutually exclusive. I like glitch when it creates a ‘broken groove’ but a groove nonetheless. I don’t know Richard Devine and expect he was excited and wanted to show some pulsar stuff asap, but they don’t work for me.

1 Like

Yes some simple patches that show how the loop recorders work with quantization and more specific sound design examples would be really nice to have before paying for the preorder. I believe any drum machine should be able to run synced beats.

2 Likes

It’s typical soma. It can be beautiful clean or dirty chaos. It’s the spaces in between that are interesting. Basing this off of owning lyra and still not able to tame it.

Starts clean with spending ages tuning the voices then 30 minutes later opening a wormhole in space and time with sonic nonsense.

My neighbours must hate me :grin:

8 Likes

I feel like i’m making sonic taffy. Sticky, folding in on itself over and over.

1 Like