PULSAR-23 by SOMA

yeah. although he’s in love with it.

Nevermind, they’ve already gone!

I just recently got one. It’s a monster drum machine but the Pulsar won’t give you anything remotely conventional. It sounds harsh, rash and bold, almost lo-fi. It’s very primitive in a lot ways yet super complex. I would compare it to a self contained modular system. With that you get endless possibilities of sound design. The bass synth on the Pulsar is the most diverse module and the only module that can be played chromatically via midi. The snare and hi hat are very expressive noise synths but don’t sound like any normal snare or hi hat. The bass drum is powerful and deep yet you won’t get 808 or 909 type kicks. The effects are probably the best I’ve used on a drum machine. You can sequence the Pulsar with a Digitakt or Digitone. I prefer using it with the Digitakt because I like to sample it and expand my kits. You can live record onto it’s looping sequencer but it’s not quantized and you can combine the two methods. I like to midi sequence simple beats then add hits into its internal sequencer. This give me a nice organic rhythm and feel. The Pulsar doesn’t record midi. I don’t know any down side to owning a Pulsar. In fact I feel an instrument like this would push you into new levels of electronic musical expression.

10 Likes

My Pulsar should be here Monday. Before I can say anything about the machine, I can vouch for the fact that this company = great people.

3 Likes

Congratulations! You’ll definitely love it.

2 Likes

for those of you who are getting it around now when did you sign up for the waiting list?

Have you uploaded your pulsar-23 music anywhere?

Joined list mid 2018 and my spot came up late last year, but had to defer purchase until now.

1 Like

I’ve been toying with it for 2 weeks now, I know it better.
Totally agrees with the self-contained modular system analogy.

I like the distorsion. Pretty hard to dial a decent snare or clap for now.
Got really good kicks. And bass module is insane.

I don’t know yet if I’ll keep it, though.
I ceased to enjoy Eurorack because despite being fun to patch, I found it hard to reproduce sounds I had made earlier.
Same here, each time I’m in front of it it’s a different journey.

I came to the conclusion that I should indeed pair it with OT or DT, and sample the hell out of it. But I do believe if I don’t fall in love with it in a month I’ll let it go to someone eager to put their hands on it.

2 Likes

Where are you from?

Reason I’m asking - they’ve set up a European operation in Poland and seemed to have increased production there quite substantially.

I emailed them almost exactly 3 months ago (I’m in UK). At the time, the people that were receiving theirs had waited 8 months, so I expected my turn to come up at the end of the year.

Got a surprise email 2 days ago that mine is ready, so I should be receiving it in the next week or two.

However, I believe the Americas are still being serviced out of Russia, so the situation could be completely different there.

I’m in Japan and I registered at the end of May. I wouldn’t mind waiting a few more months. Ready for xmas would be perfect :slight_smile:

Yeah tbh I would’ve preferred later in the year. Wasn’t expecting it now, so bought other gear just last week, so I have plenty of stuff I need to learn atm. But when the Pulsar came up this week I decided to just go for it… :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

No not yet. I’ll post something on YouTube soon.

2 Likes

Looking forward to see what you are doing with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re serviced by Russia, as they serve the waitlist for the world outside of the EU. To give you some insight, I preordered in July of 2019 and still have not received a notification. I ended up buying one from a private seller, so as soon as I get the notification, someone can have my spot.

1 Like

I may produce a track with the Pulsar as the only sound source. I’ll combine different takes to give the composition movement. I’m not sure if I’ll use samples to expand the melodic depth.

1 Like

This is entirely pulsar except for the drone (Lyra8) and the break fills. I think creating something entirely with pulsar is possible but you’ll notice the track lacks some depth without other elements…

32 Likes

Dope track!!! I enjoyed that a lot.

3 Likes

I enjoyed that.

Lovely subdued tones, patient and ponderous, simple yet emotive… Good work.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Awesome track. I really like how you build it, plus there’s some kind of Headless Horseman feeling about it, the same dimension of space and darkness: very impressive!

5 Likes