PULSAR-23 by SOMA

SOMA had a competition where contestants had to make a track using a bunch of samples they provided. There were some Pulsar-23 samples as well.

Here is the link to the contest: https://somasynths.com/soma-contest/

If you scroll down to rules, the first line contains a link to download the samples.

2 Likes

Thanks

100% pulsar 23
peace

27 Likes

This instrument really has its own signature :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Amaaaazing.

1 Like

Thanks bro.:pray:

1 Like

That’s the best sounding bit of Pulsar I’ve heard yet.

Excellent

2 Likes

Fucking amazing! So ominous, love it! Great visuals as well. Don’t recognise the place and it took me a second to realise what the people are doing, ha! Just goes to show the Pulsar can turn some pretty everyday footage into something almost otherworldly!

1 Like

Thanks a lot mate. Really appreciate .:pray:

1 Like

Thanks man. Yeah the instrument is so inspiring …and adding visuals helps to deliver the message :pray::wink:

2 Likes

One Pulsar just came available second hand in my hometown… Coincidence? Providence? Must… resist…

(Not that I have ~2k floating around.)

2 Likes

very clever visuals man, as for the sound of the Pulsar, nah, personally I don’t like that scratchy sound

Thanks for your feedback mate

5 Likes

hi, i did some tracks with pulsar 23 (and other stuff dg/dt , and a bit of eurorack).
for the moment I’m only scratching the surface of the machine but it’s already very pleasant :slight_smile:

3 Likes

hello, i am just discovering this drum machine. I am blown away because it seems very very expressive and hands on, prone to experimentation…a real instrument. It feels I could get lost exploring it for days.

on the drum machine side though, It seems to me that appart from the extreme modulation madness and whole noise and glitch territories available, the core timbres of drums available are fairly limited.
maybe it’s the demos on the internet, I don’t know.
it’s like it sounds awesome but always the same… for drum timbres it seems nowhere as versatile as an alpha base, or an Analog Rytm or a Tempest for example.

anyone can comment?

It looks and sounds amazing, but it is too expensive for me at least.

1 Like

Yea it’s almost impossible to produce a sound with the pulsar that isn’t already easily available through what you can sample from demos online (or the soma sample pack).

That said, I don’t think Vlad intended for the Pulsar to be a ball of clay that you mold into whatever shape you wish, but rather a device in which percussion performance become expressive through touch and physical manipulation. And that’s pretty much consistent across every instrument they’ve made with the exception of QO. No idea what that thing is.

3 Likes

I’ve had one since august and would say that on the drum machine side it can get pretty samey. Also think that we tend to show off the hard techno sounds in videos but it can get pretty soft and subtle. The bass synth sounds so sick as a lead tho!

If you’re looking to use as a straight drum machine I think it’s best to use this along side other samples/drum machines because it really excels at getting experimental.

3 Likes

I think of it as the loud, often drunk/high relative of the Moog DFAM.

2 Likes