PULSAR-23 by SOMA

this is tempting :smiley:

1 Like

Put together this no talking tutorial for getting filter pings on pulsar. Def one of my favorite things about the machine, filters have a lot of character and def a lot of scream.

10 Likes

here’s a snippet I did with the Digitone sending midi to pulsar. I cut together a few parts - it’s repetitive and not mixed well BUT I think this is a decent example of it being a bit softer. The riff that comes in a few seconds in is the bass synth. I feel like the snare is really what sticks out that this is pulsar.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OQWqrm9WMRsOCe2cmXh4Bl4x3CQ_8cUS/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

I have got my Pulsar 23 to make it working with the OT. The Pulsar is a very versatile and usefull tull to create drums, drones, edm,…

Has anybody interest to share ideas about the Pulsar 23?

Good for Netflix Horror Films.
I like it.

1 Like

If you send my your email contact I can send you a pulsar 23 pac in the ableton live format alc

1 Like

thanks man! i would love to make some OST for horror or dark movie…thats actually one of my goals/dreams. :slight_smile: im glad you like it bro.
thanks

IMO the concept and realization are both excellent.
It’s a fun machine to play with.
The sounds are not crazy, though. Snare is extremely weak, hats are okayish, kick a bit samey but good. Bass is the most versatile instrument.
As a drummachine, I find it way too expansive for what you can get with.
As an experimentation station, it’s good, but here again, too expansive for my own taste. I found that in the end I was using mainly the kick and bass, and stealing filters and envelopes from the two other parts.

This instrument made me realize that my modular journey was over.

3 Likes

oh I forgot this was possible, great to be able to do that!

witch one do you consider to be the snare? the third voice or the bass alternate setting?

EDIT : ha I just checked a picture of the panel, the third voice is the SD :sweat_smile:

I would rather abandon the idea of snare, and have fun with kick + lead/bass.

But I would rather get a Rytm as a drum machine, and a Lyra as an experimental station I guess ^^

4 Likes

This is the accumulated general wisdom, which the replies to your question also support. I would add a few things First, the bass synthesizer’s percussion mode makes for a great additional tuned percussion voice (at the expense of the bass synthesizer). Most importantly, it’s a performance/live composition system that incorporates a very cool, though also not “worth it on its own” FX section. As a drum machine, it has usable sounds with distinct personality that’s limited in its way. I mean, the Lyra-8 is quite limited in its way, but at the same time it’s wondrous. If you’re not interacting with the Pulsar’s loopers and/or making modulation transitions via live wiggling and patch changes, then it’s definitely way too expensive for what you’re left with. But as a percussive performance wacked-out-groove-box, there’s nothing else like it at any price.

It’s also primo quality: notice that no one has the opinion that the build—quality and quantity of materials, depth of engineering, etc.—doesn’t justify its price. It’s only a question of whether the way you plan to use it will cover enough sonic and performance range to justify paying for those materials and design.

4 Likes

i am checking the pulsar a bit because i am desesperately looking for an expressive, performable drum machine.

i keep thinking elektron is great but there is too much programming involved. complicated, too much brain involved!

i tried the rytm because the performance/scene features are intersting but it is SO boring and unintuitive to setup…

I would agree here. It’s also what sticks out the most that what you’re hearing is pulsar and not another drum machine. Doesn’t really come close to traditional snare sounds.

1 Like

Have to agree on the snare channel. But it makes an excellent percussive sound if you can make believe that it doesn’t have to be a snare drum.

2 Likes

As a drummer, no drum synth sounds like a snare to me. Snare drums have, well, snares on the bottom that a make a distinct sound that’s more than just some noise. But then again maybe drum synths have become their own thing where there is no expectation that a synth snare sound like a real snare.

2 Likes

I get the impression the Pulsar-23 was not intended to create traditional drum sounds…

5 Likes

That’s a correct impression :sweat_smile:

1 Like

In what sense?

I have since sold almost all my modular. Still have a few pieces left, but I will sell them without any regret…

2 Likes

I don’t blame you (except for the pulsar :grimacing:). Good thing modular value doesn’t really decrease.