PULSAR-23 by SOMA

Hmm, that’s interesting. Do you thinking its sound is lacking in some way or is the patching complexity the problem?

The main problem is i’m not Vlad. But also I just generally am bad at modular synthesis. I love the idea of it, but for some reason I can’t get my brain to work that way. The Pulsar-23 is a work of art, but I wanted to make music with it in addition to looking at it.

In my short time with it, despite my inadequacies, I was able to create some moderately fun patches/grooves. And I will say, the patching is very very forgiving. You can’t mess anything up and it’s constructed in a way to invite exploration. I think the basic sounds are great. I would have kept it just as a straight up drum machine, but that would have been doing it a disservice.

If you like modular synthesis, and you like what you’ve heard of the Pulsar-23, I think you can’t go wrong. You may not sound like Vlad, but you’ll sound like @guictr, and that is just fine. And if you end up not liking it, it literally took 35 minutes to sell on Reverb.

2 Likes

I gave up my spot. Couldn’t afford it but I’m not really down with industrial or hard techno anyway. I often prefer bread and butter sounds that are perfected. Everyone has their own way. Felt mildly disappointing giving it up but it is what it is.

A small point about doing what Vlad does with it: not to be a RTFM schoolmarm, but the FX section has modes that make it more complicated than it looks. FX are one part of the manual that you really need to study to get the most out of. Maybe you didn’t miss out—there’s nothing too convoluted—but I just want to give a heads up to new users about the FX module.

I’m not sure why you assume i didn’t read the manual. and I clearly said it was my shortcomings, not the machine. you could state your point without being a RTFM schoolmarm.

I didn’t assume—on the contrary, I read what you said twice and considered it, then I tried to soften my comments to honor yours while posting some helpful information for the benefit of new users without being their RTFM schoolmarm. I hope I succeeded at at least one of these things.

Oh no this is inspiring… GAS alert :red_circle:

1 Like

I agree it’s not made exactly for bread and butter sounds, but do you think it’s too focused on industrial or hard techno?

Well my number has come up twice now (maybe the just move it to the back if you can’t buy at the time of receiving the email), and twice I’ve had to pass. All of you waiting in line, your welcome. Don’t say I never do anything for ya’ll.

1 Like

I think so. But it’s just my opinion. You can do anything with anything if you’re Macgyver, but that doesn’t mean a Phillips screwdriver isn’t nicely suited for a Phillips screw.

It can be very experimental noise/percussion as well. Those are its strong suits to me. Nothing I use even if I want to love it.

1 Like

Sadly, I had to jump out of line when my number came up recently. Covid hasn’t been kind to my financial situation. Fortunately I have several other great noisemakers :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s why I have doubts about getting one. It’s quite a lot of money.

1 Like

I think it’s range of sounds are quite wide. I don’t think my music is industrial or hard techno. To me it’s more about it’s ability to be organic sounding that defines it and the ability to reach into the sound instantaneously. The latter is something I kind of miss with AR. But I’m very centered around creating tracks through performance so this might not be so important to many.

1 Like

Something that came back to my recollection was the main thing that first hindered my interest in it were the soundcloud demos for the ARMK2 on the Elektron website.

1 Like

hahaha! im happy it makes you GAS… :wink:

1 Like

I went with the lyra-8 first. Should be a good intro to SOMA :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

yes…its a beast…i love it as well.
it changed it all for me actually.

1 Like

The unavailability of this thing is good for my GAS

1 Like

I just got one used from muff wiggler last week. I saw another one on there that was being sold brand new.

I bought one on muff-wiggler last year and one through soma direct this year. Pretty available if you ask me.