PULSAR-23 by SOMA

Yes. Its possible to create softer soundscapes. Its also a dream machine if you are looking for an experimental groove box for your live setup.
It plays very well with octatrack, and as you’ve noted, has amazing I/O capabilities for mixing and recording.
Its not perfect though. I find that the shaos module and LFO are hard to synchronize when using an external clock due to the fact that they are constantly running.

2 Likes

Hey:) I’m using it mostly for what I think could be called the softer side of things. I made a video a while back using it as the main drum machine (some digitakt perc samples in addition) Even when using quite a lot of the distortion I think it can remain inside a more soft and organic context. Feel free to check out the video:

4 Likes

Thanks for the demos! @fifac and @vibko

Both songs are great!

It definetly shows of the softer side…

I have some money stashed away which i Will have stashed away for This puppy.

I have a morphagene incoming so I don’t want to fully give up on modular just yet.

3 Likes

Thank you. The morphagene seems like fun. Been wanting one for years. The Pulsar is really cool in the way it integrates with eurorack too:)

damn! I loved this track.

I went to follow you on Soundcloud, but I already do. :upside_down_face:

this is okay here. =)

2 Likes

Ok, so Ive been going back and forth regarding This device.

I watched Vlads Clock and looper tutorial and was amazed at the way you can phase each looper track and then resync it, I haven’t seen anything like that before really!

So I figured I’d contact soma and ask them how big the Que is.

The contact person asked me where I lived I replied that I live in Sweden.

And then he replied back to me in perfect Swedish that they can have one ready for me next week… I was gonna take it slow and digest this purchase but f-it YOLO.

I guess I will have a Pulsar 23 pretty soon

13 Likes

You won’t be disappointed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dude, it was meant to be! Have fun!

1 Like

looking forward to your instagram jams w/it. be stoked. you’ll probably love it. enjoy it. make sounds. make tunes. be inspired.

1 Like

i just ordered an orange one. No idea what I buy, but we will see. Thomann says next week I will receive mine.
I need to sell some stuff to finance this one. The question is, will I sell my A4 mk2 or my OT mk2? I keep my Matriarch and one of these 2 elektron boxes. Also I will keep my heat.

i see many people using ot, but how stupid is it to keep my a4? I am a noob with cv, how can i compare it with midi?

OT works so well with it. I’d keep the OT, unless you really want the synthesis capabilities from the A4. Just my opinion though…

1 Like

If you have to sell either the OT or A4, I’d say keep the one you currently use more - both would have their own (different) strengths with the Pulsar. I am very biased towards the OT myself though…

1 Like

the A4 has 4 CV outs, so it also would be a good companion to the pulsar-23. Otherwise the pulsar also has a MIDI-to-CV converter, so the OT will be a good choice too. Hard decision - i would keep all, these and the matriarch are a really nice setup :panda:
Difference between MIDI and CV is the resolution.

1 Like

Personally I would keep OT…

You can have so many creative routings with OT and Pulsar…

How bout a feedback loop from pulsar to OT back into Pulsar and then back into OT all with different effects on…

You can use Pulsar as a Filter bank for stems on OT…

You can send each track of pulsar into OT with different effects.

Then we have OT’s midi capabilities which beat A4’s by a mile…

2 Likes

what is the strength of the a4? I know it is CV, but why is it a strength? Or is there any other strenght?

I like my A4 a lot, I am struggling my OT for many years.

Yeah I was referring to the CV capabilities. Since the Pulsar has a cv to midi converter, like @7schlaf pointed out, quite frankly it’d be OT all the way for me. Some people do consider the A4 fx better than those on the OT but I didn’t think much of the A4 fx when I had it, to be honest.

Hi all,
Comming from eurorack (I sold everything). I’m looking for a fun, performance box for some industrial techno sound.
The pulsar seems to be the right thing to take. All control at your finger tips, great sound, dirty FX and distortion, quite experimental but also immediate.

But I’m also very interested by the rytm mkI. Of course half the price, also very capable and with a wider sound palette. (And no cable in the way :sweat_smile:)

Any of you have switched from one to another ?

Sorry if this has been discussed already but I haven’t found too much talk comparing the both.

I’m not sure I’m gonna help you but having both it’s impossible to get rid of one of them.
They sound so different but complement well each other
I don’t know what do you have in your set up already which could help to decide :slight_smile:

I don’t know what do you have in your set up but I’ll def keep the OT if I was you
The pair very well together !

1 Like