Pushing around the internet

apocalypse | apocalypses
SYNO Apocalypse | Book of Revelation | Revelation | …

i see it like that, it reveals a lot of things, some of which we dont like to hear. Better to have an escape plan.

1 Like

nod

3 Likes

Why did the thread continue after this? Question/Answer, Problem/Resolution.

Wrap it up- its done :grinning:

2 Likes

No-one tells me what to do.

3 Likes

Some positive things to think about / steps to take in this thread via @hausland and others.

Anyways, have a nice day everybody I am going on a retreat today at ashram.com see you all in 12 minutes.

2 Likes

Thinking about it now I can clearly see the parallels to other addictions, overlapping strategies and differences. When I was struggling to quit booze for many a year I would erect certain firewalls like: only buying a few nippers of alcohol a day so after my evening dog walk so I didn’t have anything to get too crunked on later or only drinking one varietal of wine, only drinking out at restaurants, the list goes on…but I always managed to punch holes in my plan. But, once committed things like eliminating problematic friends, not passing by the liquor store at night etc., were pretty essential to maintaining sobriety in the early days. The internet though, it’s not something most of us can totally avoid due to making a living or because of midi…so a lot of those so it seems to require different behavioral changes. The morning does to me seem like the key to figuring something out as it tends to set the mood for the day so that no surfing before noon makes a lot of sense, if one can do that.

I go on a hike once a week and generally leave my phone at home so when I get home 6+ hours later it’s almost exciting to check the interweb sort of like the ol’ days of dial up but having the fortitude to stop browsing once one starts, that seems where the real power over oneself resides.

I’ve never had any trouble with cigarettes, because I’ve always refused to smoke before about 3pm.

I used to smoke every day, but could always go without for days or weeks and quitting was easy, I just stopped smoking.

I do still smoke when I’m out drinking, but I don’t suffer with cravings afterwards, and I’d say I have a pretty addictive personality.

1 Like

No surfing before noon? Easy! Just wake up at noon!

1 Like

You don’t have any nicotine withdraw symptoms in the morning? I’m addicted to snus and if I don’t pop within 2-3 hrs of waking up my brain goes into a heavy fog. It does make me wonder about addiction though in relation to the unconscious mind, such as why I don’t wake up in that fog or that it doesn’t seem to effect my sleep.

Never did.

And I used to cram a lot of fags in that gap between lunch and bedtime.

1 Like

I also quit smoking cold turkey and never had cravings except during social settings where there was alcohol and other people smoking.

2 Likes

This is an interesting thing that I’ve noticed when kicking smoking with nicotine bandages.
I’ve forgot to put one on before going to work and on many occasions everything has been perfectly fine for many hours, until I’ve realized I don’t have the bandage on.

After that it has been hellish for I’ve suddenly felt I need it immediately or I’ll go and buy cigarettes.

The power and weakness of the mind haha.

1 Like

I’ve experienced that too. Like I’m totally engrossed in something and realize I don’t have a Snus in the opposite of that is I am idle or doing something I don’t enjoy and keep on replacing them. Nicotine withdraw is sort of an interesting sensory experience though, sometimes when I run out of Snus I have to drive 40mins to get some and I seem to observe clouds and such in a much more detailed way. Almost like the beginning of a mushroom trip.

1 Like

Yeah, I recognize some similarities too. It’s the nervousness that is kinda similar IMO.
Palms sweaty (mom’s spaghetti)

1 Like

…at least i can say…i never surf with my smartphone…never ever…
it’s “only” a telephone…a texting messenger…a music player…a photocamera…a note to myself recorder…a navigation system…an alarm clock…a calender/date reminder…but, errr, nothing else…

“online” happens exclusively on a laptop where i also treat my emails…

while my work machine is only connected during update duties…

so yes…right now i’m procrastinating and consuming again, instead of creating/working…damn.

1 Like

Same here. My telephone is a flashlight and a calculator that my mom sometimes calls. Nothing else. But then again I have an iPad which I take everywhere with me. I’ve even taken showers and simultaneously watched Netflix in the shower. I’m addicted to my iPad.

…oh, i forgot flashlight and calculator to mention…but still, it’s not that daily distraction device for me, as it is for way too many others out there…

aaaand my ipad addiction days are long gone…

while my daily abuse and mail laptop here is getting outdated and i think it might be time to replace it with a new ipad again this year…

neverendingstoooorryyyyyy…

1 Like

Disappointed. I thought this would be a thread about taking charge and bullying the internet a bit. Show 'em who’s boss and all that. :wink:

1 Like

I would if not for Stockholm syndrome but I don’t blame Elektron.

2 Likes

that is my thing as well, I’ve found a small thing that I enjoy doing without any obligations and that’s something I always happy to do, once I start doing it I forget about all the noise and I’m getting into the zone where I can actually focus and do stuff.
for me it’s a simple project of coding a desktop radio app based on SomaFM stations, I never release it, I only keep it as a hobby without any intentions except keeping it in the fun zone, I have long list of “features” that I can work on and I never feel bummed working on such project, once I do something for 10-15-30 minutes I’m no longer bored and I can shift to do actual work.

such method really helped me when I needed to focus and do work.

1 Like