Question: Is linear midi recording possible?

At least I reviewed some of the descriptions, the manual, and infos. Great sequencer this is, but AFAIK - or better understood - it’s a typical “step-sequencer”. I did not find anything about linear sequencing in the manual.

The manual tells about 24 or 48 ppq resolution/time synchronisation. Don’t know if this might be a little too low and create steps during recording lave CC animation from the synth?

At least I revied some of the descriptions, the manual, and infos. Great sequencer this is, but AFAIK - or better understood - it’s a typical “step-sequencer”. I did not find anything about linear sequencing in the manual.

The manual tells about 24 or 48 ppq resolution/time synchronisation. Don’t know if this might be a little too low and create steps during recording lave CC animation from the synth?[/quote]
It does do standard ‘record and play back’ sequencing via an external midi keyboard defo

1 Like

Do you have more information about the Cirklon?

From the manual I had the impression that there is some digging through menus required to operate the machine, is this correct? That would be ok in a studio environment, but are there short-cuts for live performances also?

I considered to buy the Cirklon before I decided to go for the Octatrack and it’s live-performance capabilities.

Does MPC1000 allow to record notes, while it plays back (switches) patterns?
I love that the Analog Four allows this with patterns in song mode. I know the terminology is different… :S Sorry if this was already (indirectly) answered in those more complex questions.

At least I reviewed some of the descriptions, the manual, and infos. Great sequencer this is, but AFAIK - or better understood - it’s a typical “step-sequencer”. I did not find anything about linear sequencing in the manual.

The manual tells about 24 or 48 ppq resolution/time synchronisation. Don’t know if this might be a little too low and create steps during recording lave CC animation from the synth?[/quote]
I think that you might have misunderstood the Cirklon.

The Cirklon has two kinds of pattern: “P3” patterns are step-sequencer oriented, but “CK” patterns are linear and polyphonic.

The reference to 24 ppqn and 48 ppqn in the Cirklon manual are configurations for its DIN Sync output. In fact, the internal resolution of the sequencer, and therefore its MIDI or CV/gate output, is 192 ppqn.

I think that you might have misunderstood the Cirklon.

The Cirklon has two kinds of pattern: “P3” patterns are step-sequencer oriented, but “CK” patterns are linear and polyphonic.

The reference to 24 ppqn and 48 ppqn in the Cirklon manual are configurations for its DIN Sync output. In fact, the internal resolution of the sequencer, and therefore its MIDI or CV/gate output, is 192 ppqn.[/quote]
You are completely right.

There are so many sections in the manual that explain about P3 - before and after section 10 discussing the CK - that I missed that out completely.

Totally new persective now. Thanks.

1 Like

Do you have more information about the Cirklon?

[/quote]
See

which is useful as an indication of it’s more advanced features
also mentioned extensively by Aphex Twin here, who also raves about iot’s advanced features :
http://noyzelab.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/syrobonkers-part1.html?m=1

also a cursory glance at the manual here
http://www.sequentix.com/files/ck-manual-1.08.pdf

"12. Real- and Step-time record
It is possible to record in real-time into both P3 and CK patterns from an attached MIDI
keyboard or other controller. The differences between the two pattern types mean there are
some differences in the record options depending on which type is being recorded into.
In both cases, real-time record is enabled by pressing the record key. The record mode
settings are found on a special menu, which will appear while record is active after pressing
the MENU key.
The current edit track selection determines which pattern will be recorded.
Also, if the FILL pattern field is selected on the TRACK page, recording will apply to the fill
pattern. "
demonstrates a further explanation
as well as various reviews etc

and finally :
http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm
youtube vids

I actually don’t know because there’s no need to do this since your sequences (the closest to what would be a pattern on the A4) can be any length.
You can set a specific length and loop, but you can also have the sequence you’re recording to increase its length while you’re playing.

Thanks again for explaining that. I guess I’ll have to see how i’d work with it then. Its too bad the mpc doesn’t have some mini keys like the A4 does. I do like the idea of all that sampling power and midi power, portability, multiple outs…

It has 16 nice big velocity-sensitive pads you can play chromatically! There are even 4 dedicated buttons to quickly jump between a bit over 5 octaves.

the micro timing resolution is 1/384 steps

I thought the resolution was 1 step/384, but it seems to be 1 bar/384 . Am I wrong ?
I noticed there were 24 microtiming steps on one step (16th), so as 384/24=16, 1 corresponds to 1 bar.
Usually the the resolution is PPQN, so in Ot it would be 96 PPQN.
It is not clear in the manual or I missed something…

I was quoting the manual, which is poorly written. Your interpretation is correct.

Ok thanks. So you agree that they should have precised it or write 1/96 instead ?

If I were writing that section of the manual, I would say “Each tick on the TRIG OFFSET grid corresponds to 1/24th of a sequencer step.”

Personally, I wouldn’t SAY that the resolution is 96 ppqn, because I associate that terminology with high-resolution linear sequencers.

Cirklon… :eyeglasses: 192 ppqn ?
Mpc 1000 and Squarp Pyramid are 96 ppqn too.