Reason 12 is coming... GOTcha

Aye, sure, it’s a tough market now, I expect, and it’s obvious that Reason have put a lot of thought into ways of addressing that. I’d hate to see Reason go away - it’s never been my primary DAW, but it’s always had a lot of features that have kept it in rotation, and stuff it does better than the alternatives. And maybe they can pull it off and walk that line, but I don’t have a great deal of confidence - not because of Reasonstudios themselves, but because I think the subscription model itself eats away once it’s in place. I guess buying the paid version is the best way to counter that…

3 Likes

I got the R11 upgrade from JRR shop, applied the voucher code ‘forum’ which brought it down to £60 after conversion from US dollars. License number email arrived quickly. Installed today, and Mattias HG has confirmed 3rd party upgrades applied after May 1st qualify for free R12 upgrade, so I’m very chuffed.

6 Likes

Reason is near and dear to my heart. Long time user but strayed away after no upgrade deals from 10 to 11. Just purchased the upgrade using the code on JRR. Saved another $10 CAD. I’m happy to support them and I’m looking forward to now having the Reason rack available in Ableton! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I am a big fan of Reasons instruments, but there is something weird with the summing as you say. I have tried importing stems from my hardware in to Reason and Ableton and A/Bing the results and there is a noticable difference. Reason sounds flat and dull. Only reason i stopped using it

2 Likes

I use the RRP all the time within live, love it. The new combinator, presuming it will allow greater flexibility, will be an excellent addition to my arsenal. That plus the high resolution thingy if it is zoomable, will make for a more pleasant experience. I cannot wait for the new version!

2 Likes

Fully agree, and I’m so happy they added the mixer channel devices to the rack. Now the mixer is almost always closed, taking up that strip of space on my laptop :roll_eyes:

(Speaking of which, I hate those bars for opening/closing the panes … such a waste of screen real estate)

The separation of Record was a good idea but it should have been a mode in Reason not a separate program.

1 Like

:laughing:

1 Like

Wonder if they’ll let you nest combinators now …

2 Likes

Started on Reason v1 in 2001 I believe. Switched to Live around Reason v6. I get all nostalgic opening my copy of Reason 11 Suite. But that damn tiny interface is hard on these old eyes. If they make the interface large and crisp I’ll definitely update! The CPU performance is still amazing on my 2011 imac.

3 Likes

Yes- my suspect is that the audio engine was designed 26 years ago and never developed further

Interestingly if you export they sound the same. I think the render engine is good, but the realtime audio engine is screwy. Probably the source of all the arguments online now that I think about it. Because people are always A/Bing rendered audio on forums, but it when you have the programs open side by side and compare actual live playback. Have also done it with StudioOne and same results…

Ask Video Reason 11 explained
https://www.ask.video/course/reason-11-explained-and-explored

Sonic Academy Reason 11 Rack with Protoculture
https://www.sonicacademy.com/courses/reason-rack-11-with-protoculture

Groove3 Reason 11 Producing a Track
https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Reason-11-Producing-a-Track

Groove3 Reason 11 New features explained
https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Reason-11-The-New-Features-Explained

2 Likes

Nice, things start to get in shape :slight_smile:

Introducing Mimic Creative Sampler in Reason 12 | Reason Studios

7 Likes

I watch videos like this and almost always end up thinking “why do I even bother with OTB?” But when I sit down with an ITB sampler and try to get creative it almost always turns to shit very fast :joy:

Snowed the video though. I really should put more effort into Abletons Sampler/Simpler. Mimic looks nicer to use though. On the Surface, it looks a bit like Logics updated sampler.

1 Like

That seems very familiar to me :slight_smile:
Too bad that the Dude in the video does not show the back of the new sampler, I think there is all the magic of Reason, zap, zip a pair of cables plugged in and the fun starts. Luckily, it’s not long until release :sunglasses:

1 Like

Looks good and fun for sure! im not certain i’ll upgrade though, Im thinking of switching to Studio One (which I already own) and just use rack plugin with my existing extensions. I’ve been waiting for sequencer upgrades for a while now but I don’t think we will see any in this update either… hope to be wrong!
Studio one is just less clunky.
It’s too bad, I’ve been using Reason for 14 years or something by now.

2 Likes

Idea of the sampler did nothing for me at first but that video’s did a pretty decent job at selling it. Not worth a full upgrade but maybe if they offer it separately? Not too worried if it isn’t, plenty of workarounds with the existing sample editing but it definitely streamlines things quite nicely.

Tried uploading a screenshot but nauts keeps failing. Anyways, managed to get a brief glimpse at part of the back in the video and saw:

Cv & gate in
Pitch and mod in
4 extra cv inputs (so assuming some sort of matrix similar to Thor?)
8 audio slice outputs
Fx1 & fx2 audio send
Main out

Couldn’t see anything below that but those assignable cv inputs should keep things interesting.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thank you for the info and “backview” , I couldn’t wait to test the sampler. What can you say, it’s a lot of fun :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, there is no matrix like we have with the Thor Synth.

But you get at least six CV in destinations

• Start position mod
  • Stretch Speed (Playback speed) mod
  • Pitch mod
  • Filter freq mod
  • Amp mod
  • Pan mod

no real matrix but also not too shabby

1 Like

That’s a bit of a shame but the destinations look reasonably useful enough to liven things up a bit.

No doubt we can expect a whole lotta overcooked lofi warbling for a bit til people (possibly including me) get it out of their system and drop back to tasteful levels.