Reason 12 is coming... GOTcha

Maybe they are hoping to push people to subscriptions…

2 Likes

When I was a Reason user back in v3/4 I never used the stereo channel inputs on the mixer, I would always run the l/r signals into different channels. The difference in sound quality was night and day.

Just wondering if this still makes a difference in v10/11?

Still cheaper than cubase.

500 for a mixer interface that makes you go blind on a 5k monitor. Thanks bro. Sure Reason 12 devices looks good on my iMac but the size of the EQ knobs are ridiculously small.

1 Like

I guess that’s no longer an issue with the zoom and HD graphics thingy though, right?

Back then there was no SSL style mixing console.

1 Like

It works but I’m spoiled with the SSL 360 software where the default resolution for 20+ tracks for the channel strip are easy to recognize without zooming. The experience of going to an EQ setting to cut/boost is easier on the eyes.

I end up just using reason as a plug-in to track it on live/cubase then use the 360 program to mix.

I got Reason 12 at a discount and was upgrading from R10 so that was good value for me.

I can’t see anything they add in R13 being worth £200. I just hope they iron out all of the bugs before the next cycle. That way I can just stay where I am or wait another cycle.

I’m not too optimistic about the future since the venture capitalists took over. The timing of this price hike comes days after the latest CEO laid out his road map for Reason - basically admitting R12 was a rushed release. He got praise for putting minds at ease but this price rise feels a bit like a sucker punch to me.

2 Likes

My story as well. I stopped using Reason awhile back but I have enough history with it that it was worth upgrading to get the Rack as a VST.

The R12 price hike has definitely enraged a lot of long time users. For me, R12 is probably my last stop on the Reason train. I’ve got the HD graphics, and the rack plugin will let me take all the rack extensions I’ve purchased elsewhere. The R+ subscription service essentially holds your work hostage if you stop paying for it. My prediction is that the venture capitalists will eventually dump Reason so it’s good to know I can take my ball and go home. I’m certainly not dropping anymore money into their ecosystem, and I’m amazed that developers are still working on new instruments for it.

1 Like

It’s to push the subscription model. SSL charges 1499US to own the suite of their plugins or you can pay 150US to get a fell access year to all their plugs. But if you’re smart you can buy separate plugs on sale on the SSL site to save even more money

Started with cracked 2.5 (ouch!!) and thinking of going to ableton. I may still use some devices I love as RRP.
It looks like nobody has something positive to say about Reason here too…! Reasontalk has turned into a big rant arena (with questionnable moderation) mainly, I believe, because of the disappointment about the updates. The last well-received update was… what… 6.5?
:frowning:

3 Likes

Not for nothing but most of the original folks there were from the Propellerheads forums proper, when that got shut down by the Props Reasontalk was set up. Toward the end the official forum got kinda out of hand so I’m not shocked?

But also lots of forums get like that, so… :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Oh more on topic, I’ve been a Reason user since v4. I was checking out Reason+, I nabbed a three month trial thru Splice. I don’t think I’ll be progressing past 12. I know there’s more expensive software out there, but it’s tough to justify these costs as strictly a hobbyist.

Yeah, ReasonTalk turns into quite a moanfest with every release…, and the end of Reason is always just around the corner. When they announced Reason + the thread exceeded 100 pages in less than a week.

In reality though, most of the traffic in that place is a small handful of people making most of the posts and replies, and of course the mods who participate just as much to counter the complaining. I don’t think there’s a lot of music making going on over there.

2 Likes

I have a reason 11 license. Use Ableton now 99% of the time but I see Reason 12 upgrade is on sale. I kind of miss using it sometimes but its been a while and I see they are making new plugins…etc. Just sucks because as of today R12 is not silicone mac compatible and while I hear a release is coming, I am not sure when or how stable it is.

Have heard the latest version is running pretty good on m1, and the native version is on its way as per their roadmap, now that vst3 is just around the corner (public beta).

1 Like

Nice, yeah I was also thinking maybe to run the rack in ableton as well. Just some ideas, I am not sure how unique the new sampler is or if the grain plugin is worth it when I already have GranDad. I typically use the DAW to make samples with creative samplers and sequencers, Fx etc and then sample the results into hardware.

Do you not already have the Grain rack extension? I’m sure I remember it being in Reason 10’s release along with Europa.

Oh yeah I probably do then. I have not installed R11 on my new Mac M1 yet and its been a long time since I used it at all. Went to download today and say R12 upgrade is $139 so I posted here. Not sure if I am going to use Reason again or not. Still assessing I guess. It is easy to get bogged down in software deals this time of year.

1 Like