Red eye

That doesnt look like it has a blue tint. Does it?

I bought white on black. There’s was several different colour options. Was debating red on black, to kinda stay with the original vibe
but red just won’t werk with my eyes.

I AM noticing there is some delay
like blur on the LCD, when states change. now, that’s either how it was, and I have forgotten that since using the OT with OLED for so long
.or could there be a power issue?

Could be a refresh rate issue, happens with some third party screens
 Hope not though. Looks gorgeous.

It’s not a big deal. I mean LCDs right. Just can’t remember if it’s reaction is the same or slower than the old screens.

More importantly I can see the MDs screen now. WITHOUT eye pain :+1:t6:

2 Likes

I always thought those Daft Punk masks were costumes. Apparently they’re just welding masks to prevent MD eye fatigue.

4 Likes

The whole ‘red eye’ thing reminds me of Cowboy Bebop. Quite apt really! Clearly Asimov spent too long looking into that red screen of doom.

3 Likes

Don’t know if it was mentioned anywhere, but gel photo flash filters are great way to temper with lcd color :slight_smile: I’ve bought mine with lcd changed to white on black lcd, but eventually decided to get back to red one :smiley: I bought set of filters really cheap, the size was slightly bigger than screen opening so it’s ideal to just tape it underneath. This is the result:

3 Likes

Interesting. Have you got a link to the filters you used please ?

would be cool for the M:S!

I bought at our local polish ebay alternative :slight_smile: I suppose you can get that anywhere.

Cool. Thanks for posting.

Hi everybody, yesterday I decided to change the screen of my machinedrum UW mkii as I thought it would have been quite easy after reading on the forum how to do that.
I unsolder the 20 pins of the old screen, I soldered back the new one and the result was that the screen would light up but nothing was showed on the LCD, the machinedrum still worked perfectly as a i plugged the jack to check the audio and it worked well “except the screen”.
So I thought the new screen would be broken or maybe it could be the wrong one.
Then I decided to out back my old screen, did the all process again and the result was pretty bad, was almost crying :cold_sweat::cold_sweat: since the machinedrum would only turn on sometimes, screen was not working and the machinedrum is not even working properly, some leds stay lighten up, the tap tempo led it’s blinking randomly, can’t change patterns and lots of other bugs.
Sometimes I just disconnect the power cable, wait a few minutes then plug it back, turn it on and it works again as normal except the screen.
Now I’m really worried, I’m scared that maybe I was staying to much time with the solder on the PCB when trying to unsolder the 20 pins, and maybe broke the motherboard?:cold_sweat::cold_sweat:

Did anybody had the same issue ?
Do you know if elektron still sells motherboards?
Or if they still change it if I send my MD to them ?
Hope someone could help me out to bring my MD back to life, can’t imagine living life without this beautiful drum machine.:dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:

Have you checked the cable linking the two internal circuit boards? This is a frequent source of weird issues if it becomes unseated. Electron were able to service my mk2 a few years ago to replace a broken pot, but I’m not sure if they still have motherboards. I’d guess maybe not.

1 Like

this probably needs its own thread to help track your repair.

Do you know if elektron still sells motherboards?

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/sold/184031 hard to tell if this is sold or not as title contradicts last post and know there were other things for sale in the post. but could be your saviour.

the only other things to suggest are, reseat the cables as just suggested, visually check the pcb to try and notice if you damaged any traces, then you;'d need to check continuity on all components to see if any are not connected or damaged from heat.

2 Likes

Sorry to say, but both the ui board and tm-1 sold yesterday.

Oh no :slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face:

To set expectations, I do not believe they have stock of them or may service them in this state.

I would check for an experienced local technician who may be able to see if this is fixable, if pads had gotten lifted, board layers delaminated or whatever.

Still cheaper than buying again :frowning:

1 Like

Contact Elektron support, they may have some leftover UI boards for this purpose. Worth asking them.

5 Likes

So i’m the one who just bought that (after staring at it for a couple weeks waiting to see if anyone was gonna spare me the decision if to buy it for the f*** of it).

I was just gonna see what I could do with it or just keep around cause why not, its cool.

If you need it/want it, its all yours. Id rather see you fix yours than me turn it into a fridge magnet

11 Likes

That’s super kind! Best wishes to Andrea in resuscitation.

1 Like