Repair scratch

Hi!
So I’m a bit pedantic and my b-stock digitone had a tiny dent in it when it arrived, I managed to paint it black with a marker, but do anyone have an easy or hacky way to ”rebuild” the corner?

Super glue with black pigment, applied in thin layers until you fill the hole.

If you want to see it done, look for “guitar spot filling”.

Nail polish might also work but it will not dry solid so you might not want it.

Definitely try it on a piece of scrap metal first because I have no idea how well it will work on the Difitone and it might make it look worse.

4 Likes

you’d have to use something as a filler and then sand it down smooth but that would then scratch the paint around the dent and also still be a different texture and colour. I’m
Sure you could make it work if you have insane craftsmanship on a miniature scale but getting it right is gonna be about as complicated as stripping it and filing it down and repainting it then needing to redo the lettering. Just not worth it, this is the discount for b stock. You’ll forget the dent in no time but I’m sure you want it gone for resale eventually. Best to avoid b stock on anything you don’t intend to keep forever

2 Likes

Take the money you saved in physical currency and put it next to the dent. Take a photo to remind yourself. Then when you look at the dent, picture that money.

13 Likes

I think it looks pretty cool!

3 Likes

That’ll buff out.

5 Likes

Auto body filler?

1 Like

I’ve learned recently though trying to touch up a few spots on my MK1 A4’s paint that it’s bloody hard work getting black paint to match.

Leave it well alone, it’ll only end up looking worse, unless you’re skilled with that sort of thing.

3 Likes

Yea matching paint would be the hardest part, but OPs marker job looks decent enough to me.

Thanks so much for the advice! Wasn’t aware of the dark pigment glue thing. Will definitely look into that :slight_smile:

Yeah that does sound pretty complex. If I go for it I’d probably try the super glue method and just try to make it work decent enough without sandpaper.

Haha true. Didn’t know I’d love it so much when I first go it :smiley:

Hahaha love it, might just do that :smiley:

1 Like

There’s a big chance whatever you try it will end up looking worse, i would try and learn to live with it

2 Likes

It will be a good reminder to focus on the craft instead of irrelevant material details ;D

2 Likes

True.

i used this on many repairs. as mentioned above filling is one issue, finishing is another. the material sticks well and is easy to shape with a file and sand paper after it is cured. but paintwork wont be easy to do. i am not sure but takts are powder coated. if this is the case apart from matching colour it will be difficult to perform powder coating at home environment.

1 Like

if it hurts your eyes, sell it discounted a bit and get another one. it is the cheapest way of getting it right.

4 Likes

Not sure if this is helpful, I got some paint chips on my black ARmk2 not long after getting it so emailed Elektron to see if they could advise anything, they suggested RAL 9005 touch up paint would be the closest colour, but they couldn’t say for sure how well it would work.

I ended up just leaving it and I don’t notice it, all my gear eventually acquires little dings sadly, such is life!

1 Like

Just don’t forget to watch videos, test and practice on something that is not valuable. You want to do it in thin layers. You don’t want to end up with an uglier front panel, or worse, glue the buttons/knobs down.

1 Like

Try the filler method mentioned by @frekvencia and then consider an overlay if you’re not thrilled with the results?

1 Like