Ricky 'Overbridge' Tinez

I search such things often, and I’ve never seen that chord pack… :sunglasses:

1 Like

I want to punch this drip plugin guy in the face with a fire emoji.

2 Likes

On second thought… The reason I’ve never seen it must be because I only watch things in incognito? :thinking:

Came here to get something off my chest that’s bigger then Ricky Tinez. But I’m starting to really be bored of the recent “yeah I get paid to show this product, but also I’m still honest in my opinions cause I still have one gripe with the product” spiel.

Just needed to get this off my chest after seeing the same new act for the 1000th time in the last couple of weeks/months (I’m sure it has to do with new guidelines /laws regarding YouTube advertising).

Thanks for letting me complain #miserablegit

(All his new videos just seem to be new ways of him getting entangled with himself on how to newly describe sponsored content as something else then sponsored content… #miserablegitV2)

12 Likes

ive stopped watching them all pretty much. check Tinez every now and again. he’s the only one I dig watching.
tired of their schtick…lost its luster

3 Likes

A lot of you-tubers try to make a living out of all this. And that is ok. Some do it good some don’t. I really do enjoy Ricky Tinez videos, because of the way they are made and because I like (most) of his play outs. Especially when showing off what you can do with Elektron gear. But one always has to keep in mind that he as all the others are trying to sell you something more or less. That is the price you pay for watching tutorials (which is what he also does) for free. And that is why I have all the Elektron gear around me and it started with him and Cenk and Cuckoo and my first Digitakt. :slight_smile: So… thanks?

7 Likes

Captain8, you aren’t the Tommy guy are you, the one testing the deluge and the s2400? Something in one of your posts led me to believe that might have been u, but can’t recall why

In fairness to the reviewers, people are making really good gear these days, and it’s not hard to imagine that someone with some skill and experience can find a lot to like with most machines made by reputable companies. Especially if they’re able to be somewhat selective about what they decide to review. I have no desire to ever post a youtube video, but if someone were to ask me for my thoughts about most of the gear I’ve bought in the last few years–even stuff I eventually sold–I think I’d be pretty positive.

So, adding to that the pretty valuable tutorials the good reviewers give, I think they’re overall a good thing. I’m usually able to tell whether something fits my sound/workflow/needs from watching a couple videos, and I can’t recall a time I ever bought something I GASsed about from Ricky, Loopop, etc. and felt duped or misled. I’ve certainly decided not to buy lots of stuff from watching youtube reviews.

And there are options for reviews of gear that isn’t very good, or even Bad Gear…

7 Likes

Are videos still a thing?

Asking from the future.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s still a thing here. I will see you in the future dude.

1 Like

Writing from the future: yes, they are, but now you watch them from a device implanted in your nose (that’s my stock prediction about technology in the future–everything is implanted in your nose).

3 Likes

Well that’s a relief. Of all the places to be implanted, the nose isn’t so bad.

1 Like

when I first got into synths and drum machines and such, youtube didn’t exist and there really weren’t any videos of gear demos for the most part. the best we had available were mp3 demos. years later, you could search YouTube for a demo of pretty much any synth you were considering purchasing. mostly they didn’t have any talking or tutorials, just someone playing. for vintage synths, Retrosound and Jexus were my go-tos. they made these videos simply because they loved these synths, and wanted others to hear how awesome they are; given that they’re rare and/or expensive, many could not otherwise.

then I took a break from music and came back a few years later; these guys making money to do YT “reviews” are everywhere. you search for a piece of gear and the first dozen videos are people paid to make them. I thought “what the hell is this? we might as well go back to just having mp3 demos if the videos are going to be like this…” BUT if you wade through the crap a little bit, there are still some good demos and tutorials out there (Retrosound and Jexus included). it’s pretty easy to spot the crap too. if it starts off with “if you like this, smack that subscribe button and check out my other videos…” sorta thing, then look elsewhere. “no talking” videos are also usually good.

9 Likes

Even in paid videos you can see a little bit of workflow, listen to the engines, see some features in action. Way better than buying by reading a (also paid) review in a magazine years back.

7 Likes

Says you. The single worst pain I ever experienced in my life was an injection directly into my nose.

There’s a butt joke in the making here. I can feel it.

2 Likes

Ironically, I also benefit from dipping into the completely amateur videos of “my first jam” or “tonight’s noodling”. I can’t play like Cuckoo and never will, but it helps to watch random people who are just as bad as I am, to get a sense of what is possible. (There are, however, way too many videos of this sort for my needs!)

1 Like

15 Likes

When I first started messing around with computers (this was before I could afford hardware) and trying to get FL Studio to make sound, there was no YouTube. I had to read the manual and get on the forum. The FL forum and this forum have been the most helpful and friendly compared to everywhere else. The OP-Forums are pretty chill too (except there’s this one guy…). Here’s what bothers me the most about these YouTubers; they get everything free. I would rather watch someone who paid for their equipment and is just trying to help people get to grips with their gear. It just seems more honest. I know people on here (and I include myself) who are way better musicians than some of these popular YouTubers and they can’t get 50 million gazillion views no matter what they do. I don’t know, the whole culture around it just irks me. Don’t get me wrong, there are some who are great, like Cuckoo and he seems pretty genuine about wanting to help people. The ones that really piss me off shall remain nameless but, they tend to sign up for the forums just to advertise their videos so they can get some more views and get some more free stuff.

2 Likes