RIP: Ryuichi Sakamoto

:pleading_face:

he was unfortunately ill for quite some time now, but I really thought that he was ā€œback on trackā€ quite recentlyā€¦such a big lossā€¦

:slightly_frowning_face:

I only recently discovered Sakamotoā€™s work and Iā€™ve been listening to his album ā€œ12ā€ a lot recently.

R.I.P.

Rest in peace sir.

Dear Mr Ryuichi Sakamoto,

As an artist, you had that magical and rare ability to accurately paint a scene and mood, only you used a piano instead of a brush or pencil to create it.

Iā€™ll never forget coming across ā€˜Rainā€™ after someone had used it on a YouTube video. I instantly fell in love with it. At the time I had no idea what it was about, who wrote it, or even that it was called ā€˜Rainā€™. Nevertheless it made me think of Japan as night time falls, with neon reflecting in puddles as people hurried around in the rain with their umbrellas up.

Testament to your skill then, when I later found out who was responsible for this masterpiece and that the track was called ā€˜Rainā€™.

R.I.P. Master Sakamoto.

6 Likes

Sad to hear. He was a pioneer and an innovator.

Truly heartbreaking. What a wonderful soul and musician. He was among my favorites of all time and I cherish the times I saw him perform. Rest in peace. May his music continue to bless this world!

2 Likes

I first became aware of Sakamoto after his collaboration with the band Japan (who Iā€™m a huge fan of).

5 Likes

What a hero. Never stopped innovating.
RIP

A titan. I first learned of him through his collaboration with Fennesz, Cendre. I was so moved by his playing: the choice and placement of notesā€¦just gorgeous. I still havenā€™t dived deep into YMO, but will do that now.

Too soon, honestly. He was still working and, more importantly, finally starting to see the wider recognition he well deserved.

3 Likes

Shit.

Rip.

A hero, gone too soon.

Absolutely devastated.

3 Likes

ā€¦also, i know this choice is the equivalent of Alan Partridge professing his favourite Beatles album is ā€˜The Best of The Beatlesā€™, but this tune has never failed to absolutely slay me

6 Likes

Ah geez thatā€™s sad news. Just earlier this week I was playing a playlist of his for my students. Couple were really into it. His legacy shall carry on. RIP

Another favorite Sylvian/Sakamoto collaboration

2 Likes
6 Likes

Me too, Japan were my favourite band back then & forbidden colours/bamboo houses led me to discovering YMO & merry Xmas mr Lawrence which I was mesmerised by. Here he is with Japan on the old grey whistle test RIP

4 Likes
1 Like

Sakamoto was the Boss.

Iā€™m sad that heā€™s gone.

:frowning:
RIP