RIP Yukihiro Takahashi

Sorry to hear tonight that one of the Yellow Magic Orchestra -guys has left us. For years I’ve been afraid of getting these news of Ryuichi Sakamoto as his health has deteriorated, but now we lost another beautiful soul instead.

Together they were the eastern Kraftwerk, but each one of them is/was a genius in their own right.

51 Likes

R I P
What a talent

3 Likes

This is sad news. Yukihiro Takahashi was a fantastic musician and one of the rare species of drummer-singers. Yellow Music Orchestra, while certainly in the history books of electronic music and well regarded, are underrated in my opinion. Takahashi’s drumming was slick and blended wonderfully with TR-808s and other drum machines and his singing had a kind of casual British kind of quality to it. What a legend.

5 Likes

Oh man.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s sad. I only just discovered him a few months ago. I thought he might be due an “autumn years” appreciation chapter, like Lee Hazlewood had, or like some of those Light in the Attic artists do, but I guess thats been snatched away. R.I.P. Takahashi-san.

2 Likes

What a visionary. RIP. May his music live on. YMO!!!

2 Likes

R.I.P.
YMO is legendary! A big inspiration of mine when I was first getting into synths

3 Likes

RIP
so kool!
:hearts:

2 Likes

Awful news. 2023 continues to wreak havoc with legendary musicians.

安らかに眠る、先生。

4 Likes

Damn, this hits hard. YMO has been on constant rotation for me in the last few weeks. I just listened to Neuromantic yesterday. :pensive:

3 Likes

So sad to hear. I’ve been doing a deep dive into the history of Japanese pop music this past year and it’s incredible the influence and cross pollination between a certain number of individuals who started in the scene in the 70s.

For example before YMO Takahashi had joined a band called the Sadistic Mika Band. I just read this on Wikipedia - “Katō (their guitarist) passed the album to Malcolm McLaren who passed it on to Bryan Ferry, whose band Roxy Music Sadistic Mika Band would later support on the European leg of their 1975-76 Siren Tour. The band played live in the United Kingdom supporting Roxy Music including a show at Wembley Stadium. It was the first ever UK tour by a Japanese rock band.”

Amazing.

4 Likes

NTS is doing a whole day on YMO and related stuff, just heard this at the tail end of one of the mixes -

Really beautiful little tune.

4 Likes

And this is the music video of that -

Very poignant.

4 Likes
3 Likes

It has broken my heart that such a beautiful voice has been silenced.

2 Likes

Always loved this one:

8 Likes

:expressionless: RIP

1 Like

YMO on Soul Train!

Questlove shared a post on Instagram: "Man. Yukihiro Takahashi of the awesome, futuristic innovative #YellowMagicOrchestra #YMO has transitioned.

Man….*sigh* the history man. I can’t place into words. ☹️". Follow their account to see 8639 posts.

3 Likes

RIP legend

1 Like

His last appearance in NHK for a special very recently 坂本龍一ニューイヤー・スペシャル(2023) - YouTube

1 Like