Roland TR-06 Boutique

Quick little thing I made with TR-06 and Typhon today.
16th hat is CY Gated with shortest decay, that way I could bring the 4/4 combo hat in independently later.
Kick switches between 606 and 909.
Snare is 909 snare too.

I didn’t expect to appreciate the variation sounds (beyond clap and rim) as much as I do. Having different kicks to easily switch between on the fly is a lot of fun.
Typhon is running an internal 8 note sequence, with some realtime octave shifts on a couple steps for emphasis, my favorite way to play the sequencer, really.

10 Likes

Can owners confirm if the 909 kick is actually present as an alternative kick in this box? Or is it just an over driven/saturated 606 kick?

They are not labelled as 808 and 909 in the manual but that’s what they are, yes. They are different to the 606 kick.

1 Like

Yeh the manual just says rich or fat

Is the 808 kick the fat one and 909 kick the rich one?

Other way round. :slight_smile:

1 = 606 BD
2 = Rich = 808 BD
3 = Fat = 909 BD

3 Likes

nice. is that just using internal effects, or did you add post processing?

There is an Ableton Live limiter on the master, just to get RMS to around -5dB.
Also a simple side-chained compressor on the Typhon, and a couple Valhalla reverb plugins in series that both Typhon and TR-06 send into, with LFOs on the send levels.

I used the TR-06 comp, reverb and filters.

1 Like

Wow thats not much! Then again I guess techno needs to be full on

I brings da ruckus.

1 Like

Completely off topic, but your reply made me think of this Technical Itch track. One of my all time favourite DNB tunes.

4 Likes

Got my 06 today and have got to say I’m very impressed so far. As soon as I opened the box the build quality was apparent. Nice and solid. Got everything set up as an aggregate so when I open ableton I can jump straight in. Means I can use it standalone and then plug in usb and it fits right into my set up.

As others have said, enough variation in the sounds without going too far to make it really versatile without getting lost. I sold my 606 a while back, but the 06 has certainly got the sound, although perhaps slightly more controlled and little less ear piercing on the hats. I’m gonna have to go through the variations to see how much variety on the 606 sound it gives, but so far I’m pleased.

Really think Roland did well with this one. Looking forward to really digging in with the sequencer tricks.

1 Like

Really finding my groove with mine, using a lot of features I didn’t anticipate using.

The side band filter is a ton of fun if you just send a few things to it like Clap and CH.
Love how versatile it is for techno, house, or electro.

Been making a lot of live break downs by just combining the HPF and changing between alternate sounds on BD and SD before bringing the bass back in. Really pronounces it. Gonna be great live.

6 Likes

got mine yesterday. didn’t bother to compare it to my old 606. honestly, I don’t care if it sounds the same or not. So far i like it a lot for its versatility and same time simplicity. sound(s) is (are) very nice and can be close enough. what I really find terrible is this “manual” - not that it is needed a lot - but just from reading it, I get a headache… the online manual is a bit more up to date - for instance the tempo dependent decay of the open hihat is missing in the printed manual. what I really don’t get is what LUL.C is doing (I know it should be read LvL.C / Level Curve) can somebody explain what this setting is doing? - I couldn’t figure this out, and I found no information anywhere.

1 Like

Changes the way turning the level knobs changes the volume of each sound.

4 Likes

^^ this

The taper of the volume pot…really interesting that they added this.

Depends on how you want to implement the volume knobs, for example, if you want to use the knobs as a sort of real time accent you’d choose the softer curve if you want the part you’re turning down to decrease volume quicker, using the volume to mute parts, you’d want a sharper curve.

Similar to a hard vs soft “knee” in compression determines the rate of reduction.

3 Likes

I need to check out that setting. I wasn’t getting the kind of behavior out of the accent knob that I was expecting.

So I’ve played with the two level curve options.
The first (default) “nrN” is an entirely linear curve.
The second “SPL” seems logarithmic. You get a ton of level at only 12 o’clock, and little additional level above that. 12 o’clock sounds like maybe 75-80% level.

I didn’t think I would, but I can see the advantages of using the “SPL” option live.
Not having to turn it all the way up to get a very loud signal out of an individual drum sound is nice. And, if you’re using the instrument gains under the hood, you can look at the top half of the knob range as where any overdrive begins.
So long as you set your instrument gains accordingly, SPL almost makes it easier and quicker to get a stable mix that works well from pattern to pattern.

So I’m gonna spend a week or two with it set to SPL. Yet another TR-06 feature I didn’t anticipate using.

5 Likes

Anyone else getting down with the master probability? (hold menu button, turn value knob ranges from -100 to 0 to +100)

I discovered it by accident, after making a lot of trigs around 80% - 90% probable. It’s a great way to break down a pattern to more minimal elements (-100), then bring it back (0), or make it more busy (+100). Combined with the FX, I’m getting great fills this way.

1 Like

Yes. Lovely way to do breaks and fills.

1 Like

2nd thing I’ve made with TR-06, but first video

Two TR-06 patterns against one Typhon pattern.

10 Likes