Roland TR-06 Boutique

Watch this.

1 Like

But ignore the bit where he selects the wrong sound in the TR-06 for the blind comparison.

3 Likes

Full midi CC for one thing. RD-6 has very basic midi.

1 Like

My reasons:

• Adjustable sounds
  • USB audio with individual outs
  • Enhanced sequencer
  • Trig outs
  • Boutique form factor + metal enclosure is very solidly built
  • Behringer one looks weird
  • Behringerā€™s behaviour over the past year has made me ashamed to buy any of their machines (just a personal stance; I donā€™t care if others buy their products)
2 Likes

No love for bad design cues and weird colours? Me nether :joy:

I went with the Roland based on comments/analysis vs. the RD-6 that was posted on this thread months ago.

I donā€™t believe in blindly choosing something just because itā€™s analog. I will take well-designed and good sounding digital over crap analog anyday.

7 Likes

This 100%!

3 Likes

ā€¦ or just because itā€™s cheaper.

2 Likes

The entire Behringer range has drastically reduced in price in Australia in the past 24 hours, the prices are ridiculous now.

I ordered my TR-06 for about $330-ish. RD-6 is $180 in this country. I didnā€™t think it was worth saving the money. If somebody else thinks it is for them, thatā€™s their business.

Didnt know that. Shops are probably struggling to sell them, which doesnt surprise me at all.
ā€œBut why is it so cheap?ā€

1 Like

Probably not shifting, even for someone into clones of old gear there is only so much of it you want/have money for/mixer channels/physical space/midi channels etc. I think maybe Behringer over estimated demand, I mean how many colours of RD-6 and TD-3 are there, 10 or so?

Then when you look at offerings from other companies with more modern features, better design, for not much more money, some of those potential Behringer customers are going to choose the alternatives, and of course Behringer does not have the best reputation due to their behaviour.

Also I think fielding customers for what your company should make is a very dumb business decision, people are pretty fickle and what they say today might be different in 6 months, by the time that thing they said they wanted hits the market.

Hey ho.

4 Likes

Roland just did a very good job on the TR-06. With the 08 and 09 they made exact replicas with a few very minor enhancements, with the TR-06 they probably were more like ā€œOk, what would we do in 2020 if we were to make a compact performance drum machine? How would they way people want to use such a thing be different from what people did in the early 80s?ā€ And then they proceeded adding a lot of nifty tweaks and new features without taking away from the original.

Itā€™s not just a replica; itā€™s more like a redesign. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Itā€™s so cheap because in essence the designs are simple, they are now free to re-use, and if you can apply automation and scale as behringer can , they can be produced cheap as chips.

As above. The tr06 feels like they actually tried to enhance the original without straying too far away. Something Roland doesnā€™t do enough.

I get that the td6 is analog but honestly that isnā€™t everything. Lots of people use it as a crutch for failing to try and compose and/or mix better.

For analog I went for the Acidlab Drumatix. But it had to be returned due to some faults.

1 Like

Okā€¦ i see why Roland over Behringer.
But why n0t get a TR6s?
Thinkingā€¦

1 Like

More present hands-on control, trigger outs, slightly different 606 model (they made a new ACB model for the 06 that is more aggressive). The TR-6S is a cool box though.

I considered this question as well.

Once I decided to get a Matriarch, I went with TR-06 for the multiple trigger outs - a no-brainer for patching to Matriarch gate inputs for all kinds of fun.

I think there are a couple of people on this thread who got TR-06 and are leaning the other way now, because the sound is different as mentioned. TR-6S is more like the little bro of the TR-8S, including the new FM engine.

1 Like

I love the 606 and wanted a modern version. I have other machines that can act as all-in-one grooveboxes so didnā€™t need the relative freedom of the 6s.

2 Likes

Thisā€¦ I had a TR-8S and sold it to go all in on ARmk2. I didnā€™t need a worse TR-8S, I wanted a 606+.

1 Like