Roland TR-06 Boutique

Something interesting I found exploring this today, is that upon start-up, if the volume is randomly very low, it increases to full volume by itself over several minutes. I wonder if this is a firmware issue or an issue with a capacitor.

I would be grateful if anyone else can shed light on this

Thinking about random patterns. You can temporarily put a rnd pattern over the top of your saved pattern. But you can only overwrite the current pattern. I canā€™t find a way to save it to a different pattern to the one it was generated on. You generate a random pattern with menu+tap and save it on pattern write mode with menu+ hold tap.

Yoooo I remember bashing this thing when it wa announcedā€¦ but I just watched a few videos of people actually using it, and itā€™s SO AWESOME!!! Ugh I want one bad now, why did I do this to myself. Still stunned that itā€™s $400 though.

If you get the TR8-S, it has the ACB models of 606, 808, 909. Plus all the other TR machines, plus user samples, plus FM engines, effects, you name it.

you actually save money

:wink:

6 Likes

Did you saw this :
https://tubbutec.de/6m0d6/

So like, iā€™d be spending money to NOT buy it?

4 Likes

Exactly!

Its a no brainer

4 Likes

The sound is great but itā€™s more that I think it looks really fun to use, and the size.

TR-6S also has these ACB models

As discussed in some detail upthread, the ACB model in the TR-06 (and the really nice Cloud version) is different to the one in the TR-8/TR-8S/TR-6S.

3 Likes

Hey TR-06 owners / users, I have a couple of questions (seeing as the manual is up to Rolandā€™s piss poor standards of intelligibility):

1. What are the maximum decay lengths (roughly speaking) of the various sounds?

2. Can each of the Trigger Outs be used simultaneously?

My primary use cases for this will not be to use it as a drum machine but to create various long one shots that I will turn into synths / chords / noise with Digitakt and also to fire a bunch of rapid triggers at my Subharmonicon with probabilities. Thanks in advance!

I did a quick recording of each sound at maximum decay using the standard 606 set and whatever my tuning/gain/etc settings were set to:

Yes.

Honestly if this is why youā€™d buy it, Iā€™d advise against it. Itā€™d be better to get a MIDI to trigger converter and use the Digitaktā€™s MIDI channelsā€”youā€™d have better access and easier control over the trig conditions. And the TR06 sounds donā€™t really go very far beyond the standard 606/808/909 sounds; I donā€™t think itā€™s worth it if youā€™re not going to use it as a standalone drum machine.

7 Likes

Craig if you do get one, they are blowing them out (at Sweetwater in the US at least), my rep told me at least $55 off, not sure what it might be for you. If you scoop and donā€™t like it, sell it to meā€¦

1 Like

A cv.ocd might be an option (or Mutant Brain).

Triggering from a drum machine is fun. The Behringer Rd-6 has two trigger outs and clock sync. And separate audio outs for some voices.

I played with a Tr06 yesterday. It feels well made (better than the wobbleknob SE02 the shop had) and the ā€˜boutiqueā€™ form seems cool for a home setup, but I found it very underwhelming.

I quite liked the TR8s though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I spontaneously pulled out the TR-06 today and had a bit of a jam with it. The kick really distorts quite nicely with the gain up and a bit of compression. The 808 kick in particular has some interesting weirdness coming in from that distortion coupled with long decay. Really dynamic.

Despite the menu diving, it really is a performance oriented drum machine. So good.

8 Likes

I kind of want one again :upside_down_face: and a sh01a.
I sold them mainly because integration with ableton wasnā€™t very good.
USB audio was not working very well, and USB midi was full of latency. But this time I would avoid the struggle, use the audio outs and normal midi with the OT.

3 Likes

I use normal midi and normal audio until ready to record. At that point Iā€™ll record my midi into ableton, and then trigger the tr06 thru MIDI and do a single multitrack pass through USB. Iā€™ll then have to do a little lining up afterwards.

Using audio through USB is always tedious to be honest with any device. Especially if wanting really tight sync across multiple devices using hardware midi etc. The convenience far outweighs the practicality when multitracking for me as I have a bad habit of recording so clinically.

2 Likes

Has anyone paired his TR06 with a M:C? Does it match?

Yeah I played a set with that combo at the beginning of the year. Sounds massive.

Actually I think I may have a recording somewhere, should dig it up.

edit: yes I do, and Iā€™d totally forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder :laughing:

3 Likes

:ear:

1 Like