Roland TR-06 Boutique

Probably only per pattern on the TR-06, the TR-6S possibly might though, given that the MC-101 has it?
Probably worth a peep at the manuals.

Pretty certain itā€™s total pattern length, for ā€œlast stepā€ function, not per instrument.

The manual says nothing about it being per instrument.

Iā€™d use another sequencer if polyrhythms are a crucial desire.

If it is only per pattern, the feature that allows shifting a trackā€™s sequence left or right with each trigger input could be used to fake a per-track length, for one pattern at least. Probably not quite the same, but it is definitely an interesting feature!

This is the best overview of the features they added to the 06 so far:

32 steps per pattern! \o/

2 Likes

The TR-8S is per track, so Iā€™d imagine the 6S will be. The 06 almost certainly isnā€™t.

1 Like

I am such a 606 head and I have to remind myself that between the Drumatix and TT-606 multisample Live drum racks, Nithonat, samples in my MS, and samples in my OT, that I donā€™t really need this TR-06.

But darn if I donā€™t want one. :sweat_smile:

The FX section, compressor, alternate sounds, pattern memory, mix input, and trigger outs are most appealing to me. They put far more into this Boutique than I thought they would.

Pandemic isnā€™t helping since Iā€™d get the most out of it in a live context.
I think the best way forward is to only get it as a reward for myself down the road, or a celebration once things go back to ā€œnormalā€.
Meanwhile, I got a great sound out of Nithonat last night. :dark_sunglasses:

7 Likes

Sure you do. :slight_smile:

:evil:

Everyone needs a 606, oh wait no thatā€™s a 303, false alarm, as you were :laughing:

1 Like

Obviously, you need both.

16 Likes

Love it. Looks great, sounds brilliant. I like all the new features.
If I didnā€™t already have the 8S I would probably want this.

Roland totally nail it with the boutiques. I have the 09, its awesome! Just a shame it doesnt have all the cool new stuff that the 06 has.

Some people say that the boutiques are too small and fiddly, to that I say, yeah and the digi boxes are too cramped and fiddly, plus the lights burn my retinas!

Playing catch-up here and I thought Iā€™d add to the chorus of praise for this. I donā€™t have any boutiques or aira drum machines so I really should prefer the TR-6s but there are just so many nice touches to this that take it way beyond simple rehash. Time will tell but I would get this way, way, way before Iā€™d even consider the ā€˜Bā€™ option.

I always thought nithonat was noisey and harsh sounding , is it accurate ?

It seemed different to many sample packs / tr8 expansion etc .
The rd6 seems fine except for cymbal being very loud. (Cymbal or another one , canā€™t remember )

I think it is capable of a cutting, aggressive sound that a few of the noisier TR-606s Iā€™ve used also have.
But it can be rather mild as well. It has an interesting hardware-like behavior when pushed.

I like it, just hate the interface (last software update was 5 years ago so itā€™s awful on retina displays).

Try using zone by audiaire ( something like that )
Great synth but the automation Lane stuff is in tiny little boxes and not scalable.

Nice art beats functionality :joy:

Preorder placed. Iā€™m so into this one. It will pair perfectly with my Erica Synths DB-01.

3 Likes

Yea, I am eager to use the TR-06 with my Typhon.
Both are battery powered. Can run the Typhonā€™s out through the Boutiqueā€™s mix input with a single stereo cable.

Wonā€™t need much else for some live electro funk.

1 Like

Just be aware the Roland boutique stuff chews through batteries, realistically get a few hours from fresh AAs.

1 Like

I would just use a usb bank like on my Typhon, but thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Yeah that will be better, kind of sucks though that they could not make them a little more power efficient, I think it is due to the processor being pretty fast/powerful.