Roland TR-06 Boutique

Yeah probably a mix of the processor being decently powerful and by design the ACB stuff is constantly emulating the circuitry even if you only play one drum, so there really is no room for dynamic resource management to save power. If it’s on its running at 100%.

1 Like

Yep I was very happy to cancel my RD-6 order and upgrade to this.
Huge 606 fan, and this does look like one of the better jobs they’ve done with boutiques (and I love them, this will be my 7th!)

6 Likes

Lucky number 7. :loopy:

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: It’ll be my…

:sunglasses: 06th.

6 Likes

Kind of jealous, which is stupid regarding what cool elektron stuff I have.
But I often think about a simple boutique setup. Simple tools, that go together well

3 Likes

I’ve never sold any of the ones I’ve bought but the amount of use each of them gets varies a lot.

SH-01A: constantly
SE-02: fairly regularly
D-05: infrequently
TB-03: rarely (but sometimes only that sound will do)
JU-06A: only just arrived so we’ll see how it fits into things. I want to use it for chords and the odd bass part.

One of the things I like the most is how easy it is to just sub one out for another (same power, same cables, same size). Keep a few on the shelf and change things out if you want a different flavour.

2 Likes

Not really surprised. They just sound so good, have usable sequencers, and are built around classic sounds as well. I think your new JU-06A will get a lot of use too.

That’s real nifty, and something I hadn’t considered. I worry that even though it is less full featured, my electro desires for a TR-06 will eventually lead to a TR-08 for similar hot-swapping.

GEAR IS FUN
:smiley:

6 Likes

It is!

Yeah, you’re exactly right. Another reason the (flexible) monos get a lot of use is that the consistent parts of the setup are Monomachine, AR2 and Peak. So quite a lot going on there. Simple stuff that sounds good without much effort is therefore a good fit.

The SE-02 is the only one with different power requirements, which makes it slightly more effort to switch in. I tend to use the EXT-BOX with it as well which requires its own power. That’s probably the only reason it’s not brought out to play more often. It sounds :fire:.

1 Like

Just learned that the MOMA in NYC sells Boutiques. If you navigate to this page you might get a 10% off (or is it $10 off?) popup. No, I don’t benefit from you buying from MOMA

https://store.moma.org/tech/featured/roland-boutique

2 Likes

Yeah its kind of funny, a lot of people shit on the Boutiques because of the small physical size, and it is true to say they aren’t perfect, but damn they sound incredible, have full midi CC, USB and analog audio and midi over USB and din.

I have 13 of them now (a few doubles) and I’ll keep buying them for exactly the same reason as @finalform I can easily swap them out to change up the setup with minimal fuss.

I think the pricing is in line with or less in many cases than the originals cost without taking into account inflation (example 606 and 303 were £299 at launch in UK in 1982) so in effect you can have a 80’s dream studio setup for a fraction of 80’s prices.

I think for me Roland have really improved their range in the last couple of years, the new Aira stuff, the Boutiques, Modular, Jupiters etc are all pretty decent gear.

6 Likes

Yeah I’m very much on board with the boutique form factor now. I now wish I’d bought the D05 and TR09 on release… I’d underestimated the value of simple, consistent machines that are quick to get going with. I think the Model:Cycles helped me to understand that not everything has to be as complex as a Monomachine in order to inspire creativity.

5 Likes

They do!
Even just watching YouTube clips. I watched the TR06 and was all ‘oofff that sounds good!’ While the TD6 clip just left me feeling ‘yeah what ever’.

They might be small and fiddly, but then so are the digitone/takt.

Anyway, boutiques are legit. ACB is ace.

3 Likes

Has anyone found any videos that shows off the TR-06 CH/OH combo behavior (i.e. the third sound that is produced when both are triggered at the same time?)
And how that also sounds with accent?

I can’t find one, but I haven’t been digging heavily through the longer videos out there, either.

1 Like

Man, and i am still thinking … Digitakt with 2323 will Just do it…

1 Like

If it’s anything like the TR-09, it’s probably exactly like the original.

1 Like

Yea, I’ll believe it when I hear it.

I get that the TR-09 sounds great but the hat interaction on the TR-606 is the product of a unique gate function, and is atypical. Hopefully the ACB took that into account.

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to your inspection/opinion. I loved my 606. I think it was my favorite machine for jamming, and yes, it was mostly about those toms and hats. I don’t think I have the money to invest at the moment…but yeah, this is one of the machines I’ve always kicked myself for selling (to a friend, who sold it off without telling me :grimacing:). Let us know what you think when you find out.

1 Like

My local store already have the TR-06 in stock. I thaught it was suppose to be release in November.

Consider yourself lucky!

Most US shops show preorders shipping between Oct 15 and Oct 25

1 Like

Should I buy some and resell them to 606 junkies, though?

1 Like