Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

They Just follow the Trend. Thats why they Chose a rather Helga-ish diversity representing Woman and not a Hipster beard-o tatooish Guy Like when introducing Aira for the First time. Nothing to blame them.

I don’t agree with you here. I indeed liked the first TR8 for its simplifity. But i find the new Model a rather me too model. But If someone wants exactly this…who am i to criticise? Whatever makes your boat float.

Erm…Not.

1 Like

yep, fuck this sort of comment, basically. sorry to get ratty, but this is the sort of attitude that needs to be challenged every time.

36 Likes

Yes I remember those, thing with Aira link though is that it does not rely on a computer, if my MX-1s and boutiques and Aira modules are still working in 7 years time I don’t see any need to update them or for continued support. Like dinsync, Roland dropped it around the advent of midi yet I still use it today without any need for it to be updated or supported, it just works.

1 Like

Impressive. Please make list of things that woman are allowed to do in public that do not offend you! And make sure Steffi gets the list! But be aware she might be busy preparing her next Berghain set and ignore you.

15 Likes

The first version was a little too dumbed down.
Nice upgrade by Roland. Tempting.

Some random observations after quickly looking through the manual.

• FX per channel, though only filters/eq/compressor/bitcrush types. The modulation/rev/delay stuff limited to master fx via sends. One LFO. Feature dejavu right there.
  • Being able to edit a pattern variation before actually having it play is something cool.
  • Substep feature seems exactly the same as Elektron retrigs. More dejavu.
  • It can generate random patterns. No settings on this though beyond all or nothing.
  • Max 400 samples loaded at any one time, with max of 180 seconds for a single mono sample.
  • Can accept 96k wav format, but only 44/48k aiff.

On pixels (blindly ignoring Roland’s legacy) its kind of a modern take on the Machinedrum, with ‘different’ machines available to each channel, p-locks etc. More advanced sequencer and tactile interface but lacking in the resampling dept. I think Elektron should be slightly flattered by the imitation.

4 Likes

That is a reality you are choosing to see and it is in conflict with actual reality.

It isn’t.

10 Likes

Yes , I’m cynical .
I guess my main point , which wasn’t eloquently stated , was I personally wouldn’t choose an artist / musician , writer , new hire , politician based on gender . Some things maybe ( like if I had to hire an actress for a specifically female role like Wonder Woman or Harley Quinn )

I do see imbalance in genres / roles / diversity and I’m aware / experienced in recruitment ( for example ) where it didn’t matter who I hired , the quality of the work made more of an impact than almost everything else in the decisions to interview and take it forward.

And this thread has been hijacked by a touchy subject which I didn’t intend it to be , I’m mostly happy it hasn’t got green trim.

Oh god. There’s a woman in the video and now you think it’s because they neglect all the men in the business? How do you explain ALL other commercials targeted towards men with women in the videos?

3 Likes

It is sad that you choose to set the emphasis of your reception on this issue. I was focussed on the gear in her studio and how they made the different camera perspectives and how she mounted her speakers to the ceiling. The idea to think about “gender topics in modern society” did not cross my mind.

They’re adverts , someone has chosen who the target audience is , how best to appeal to that audience within the brief of the advert .

Hands up , I made a stupid comment on a non stupid topic.

5 Likes

This thing seems like a turbocharged Digitakt plus forthcoming Digidrum all in one, at the price of only one Elektron device.
Pretty impressive. Great work Roland

3 Likes

Please let’s not get bogged down with identity/gender. I agree with you on one thing - that it’s annoyingly trendy to bash lads for being lads right now, but humanity does have a bit of catching up to do on this account! The ideal case would be 50/50, male/female, tentacles/protuberances, green skin/orange skin, but since we aren‘t there yet, it’s totally ok to see just ladies or three legged rhinoceroses do a demo once in a while. Right?! Let’s just chill and talk about the finer points of life, like the gentlemen we males would all like to be. :v:️

3 Likes

If they add wheels and an engine I’d reconsider

I can’t see that.
Digitakt is a sampler.

2 Likes

Yes but it has a lot of features Digitakt doesn’t
I think it’s great value

2 Likes

You do realise that Steffi has been a major player in the techno scene for over a decade, right? She was resident at panorama bar ffs. How accomplished does a woman have to be before she’s finally proved herself?

10 Likes

This is for you and all the other tediously repetitive green-haters :wink:: :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:
:frog::crocodile::turtle::lizard::snake::dragon_face::dragon::sauropod::seedling::evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::palm_tree::ear_of_rice::herb::shamrock::four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

I think for me it is mainly individual track lengths (with what appears to be sensible page view) and the sequencer refinements, being able to edit a non active sequence/page is quite a great concept, the fill and pattern scheduling methods, all these are at least from Roland gear new and exciting.

4 Likes