Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

I think so too.
I just think the digitakt is just made for different purposes. Maybe the TR8S might be a better drummachine (I’d still miss condtional trigs). But I bet DT is the better allrounder. Sampling and more advanced sample manipulation.
I see me creating whole tracks on the digitakt very easily. On the TR8S I doubt I would get far more out of it than a nice drumbeat (which is ok for a drum machine) or some minimal stuff.
Just what I assume. Haven’t tried one yet obviously.
But turbocharged DT… No. I don’t think so

5 Likes

WRT the gender thing - I did notice the Berlin sessions (that I viewed anyway) were all women, extremely talented and quite well known women, whom I felt did not need to be lumped together in some marketing ploy to somehow prove to me that “whoah bro, who knew chics could make techno” - because I’m not an idiot.

That said it did not bother me either way really, gender/identity politics is a construct that only serves to divide people, fuck that shit.

6 Likes

Agreed. I think in half a year or so we’ll finally see an even distribution in the advertisements, once the marketing people and the women and men and other genders involved in the ads realise that it’s about equality, equal merit, and not being part of some quota.

1 Like

Perhaps some aren’t as knowledge as you?

I think the idea is to bring exposure to the divisions that persist to this day. The division happens when people respond with…

OT: very nice machine. Def gives Elektron a run for the money.

2 Likes

So to get back on topic, I decided to make a slightly tongue-in-cheek list of the advantages of the original TR-8 vs. the TR-8S:

• 4 directly accessible parameters for BD and SN instead of 2.
  • More scatter presets.
  • weighs about 200g less
  • green edge
  • cheaper and easily obtainable
  • eight times less patterns to get lost in

I’m keeping mine for now, the OT does all the other things better anyway.

4 Likes

:yum:Also TR-8 has a more vintage sound.

5 Likes

Indeed! I forgot the old-skool bonus.

1 Like

Totally dont need this but…WANT!

probably supports 96khz Wave files

1 Like

You ripped my words Out of the context and let them Sound worse than they are actualky meant. But lets Not start a diversity gender discussion.

stop, you’re reversing point #5!

:joy: Touché, but even without mine, they’re being sold for around 300 EUR at the moment. It would be bad timing.

2 Likes

I hope the old TR-8 also gets the Overbridge support!

5 Likes

Not bad Roland. Nice that it has full size knobs, and 1/4” jacks (and lots of outputs). I think Roland will be a selling a lot of these given the price and the features.

A few general remarks regarding highlighting women:

1. If you don’t want to discuss gender or diversity then don’t bring it up to begin with.
  2. Don’t pretend that gender inequality is a solved problem. As long as gender equality has not been achieved, there aren’t a lot of sensible arguments to be made against attempts to highlight women in whatever field women have historically been underrepresented in.
  3. The “marketing ploy it’s only commerce” complaint feels rather hollow on a gear forum run by a high-end manufacturer.
  4. Ask yourself why the type of remarks that have been made above always happen when only women are featured, but never when only men are featured.
  5. Instead of complaining about it, why not take the opportunity to look up the actual artists featured that you hadn’t heard about before? You might discover some cool new music that you previously wasn’t aware of existed.
21 Likes

#5. For real.

1 Like
2 Likes

The TR-8S has LFOs I think

Seems like a great upgrade to the TR-8. But apart from song mode, I don’t see anything here that I don’t already have with the Digitakt. Am I missing something?

@t I’m gonna go with the lesson I’ve been taught and say if people want to discuss gender a thread about drum machines isn’t the place to do it. The mods must hate it when this stuff comes up cause it stirs up a lot of feelings for a lot of people, everyone ends up arguing even though everyone agrees, the point is inequality is bad and I’ve never seen anyone disagree in the slightest. Cant we all just get along?

6 Likes