Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Very nice for pads and stabs where you’re using detuning between the left and right channel or where you’ve applied stereo effects.

4 Likes

Pretty obvious
It’s better than mono

2 Likes

thanks for the clear answer :wink:

1 Like

yeah ok, I get that. But I can pan it in the DT and apply it’s nice stereo effects… Not the big problem for me.

FYI. I’m putting my Digitone up for sale on the Seattle Craigslist tonight. Possibly the DT if the 8S is as rad as it appears to be.

You’re welcome :+1:

1 Like

The TR8S does fm synthesis? :thinking: :yum:

1 Like

from what I can tell it might not be as fine detail as the elektron microtiming more like picking different timings but not quite to the micro level and not meant to sound unquantised

I don’t think it does any kind of synthesis

Roland ACB digital engine vs real analog circuitry, not ridiculous at all

1 Like

Yes it has drum synthesis for everything but the samples

honestly, people are crazy !

The new Studio Electronic Boomstars are $1399. That’s for a mono synth module. You can also get a Behringer mono synth for $299. These are choices one has the luxury to make if they want.

3 Likes

You get twice as many samples.

1 Like

Just try to joke, referring to you selling the digitone :wink:

The TR-8S? Sure it does.

"The Roland TR-808 drum machine uses six audio square-wave oscillators, all mixed together with no precise tuning. These are mixed together and used as the input of two separate bandpass filters. The output of one bandpass filter drives one “gating” circuit. The output of the other drives two “gating” circuits.

Each gating circuit is an inspired concoction of transistors, diodes, resistors and capacitors which distorts the signal - imagine limiting a wide ranging signal between two limits, so it is basically a square- wave, and then changing the limits to control the volume. The three gate circuits have various time-constants for their volume.

Their outputs go into three separate high-pass filters, whose outputs are summed to produce the final signal."

Sounds like a synthesizer to me. Source: https://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_percussion.html

1 Like

Gotcha :wink:

Well I guess it does some synthesis (ACB) but definitely not FM. Or maybe it does.

I’m selling the DT now because it’s still relatively unavailable up here in Seattle. And honestly, I get on just fine sampling VSTs. For some reason, I just feel like live synths are harder to manipulate, manage, whatever (I know, that doesnt make sense) but when I’m working with computers, as soon as I find a cool VST sound, I turn it into audio. I don’t think I know how to use midi.

1 Like

I remember this was frequently brought up as a negative when Digitakt was first announced, but peeps went and bought it anyway, so go figure.

I’ve heard some tracks made with it that sound really good to me, particularly some ambient stuff.

1 Like

Mono sampling is fine. Most synthesizers are mono too (as opposed to stereo) until you start adding effects.

1 Like