Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

If you are happy with mono only that’s great.
TR8S can do mono for you also :wink:

Sounds like you buy the TR8S? :wink:

No not at all
No need as I use my computer and DAW for all drums and sampling

I know :wink:

You are buying and selling gear more frequently than I eat junk food :rofl:

1 Like

Gotta strike while the irons hot with the DT

And my studios pretty sparse…it probably just seems like I buy and sell a lot of stuff. I don’t think I do

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if you do or you don’t. You’re posting more of your music than people who seem to think it does matter.

2 Likes

Roland is making a lot of good stuff these days. They did a management buyout a few years back and stated that they needed to take the company private to avoid having to satisfy the profit targets that shareholders were demanding. It seems like they are less under the gun to release a bunch of junk for quick profit grabs and able to focus more on product development. I like the direction they seem to be going with this and the SE-02.

3 Likes

My curiosity was piqued about TR-808 synthesis - I knew it was analog but didn’t know much about the architecture. Never would have thought it had 6 OSCs. I’m still a noob at drum synthesis, but have had fun mucking about w/ drum patches on the MS-20 Mini (only 2 OSCs) and other synths.

Actually this isn’t exactly correct, they are tuned to precise frequencies and these are 205.3hz, 369.6hz, 304.4hz, 522.7hz, for hats and cymbal, and 800hz (adjustable by trimmer between 359.4hz–1149.9hz) and 540hz (adjustable by trimmer 254.3hz-627.2hz) for cowbell. However, due to component tolerances there is likely to be +/-10% variance from these values, which is why no two 808’s sound the same. Getting the correct frequencies within these tolerances is key to getting a passable metallic sound which is then filtered to create the iconic sounds.

4 Likes

The majority of my OT sampling has been mono - just my viola or guitar.

No argument from me against that those who really need stereo sampling - I’m sure they have different workflows and rigs than mine.

Don’t forget that’s the Devilfish guy who said that, not me.

Synth secrets entry on 808 and 909 snare - I make no guarantee about the accuracy of the info:

Yes I know it was a quote :thup: and for the most part it is correct, but “no precise tuning” implies (to me) that it doesn’t matter what tuning is used for each oscillator, but as someone who has an interest in drum synthesis I thought it best to clarify that the tuning is important to sound correct, you can of course use different tunings for other sounds but for the 808 they need to be in those ranges.

Took another look at the quote. It’s from Robin Whittle. Dunno where he got his info - perhaps it is lost to time.

Also the TR-808 service manual has the frequencies and decay listed for most of the sounds.

4 Likes

TR8S is a step away from being an ACB Roland Groovebox
Dig the TR8S and will probably scoop but would be stellar if it had a couple of ACB synth tracks

2 Likes

Most likely from the service manuals and working on 808s, I’ve had a few email conversations with him in the past, interesting character for sure.

Yeah, that would be amazing if it had two additional sounds; one with their 303 emulation, and another with a 6 voice Juno.

Thanks, Prints! Good points for sure

1 Like