Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Can’t agree more. I would rephrase “multiple uses of the CTRL knob” as “motion recording should be per-parameter instead of per-knob so that changing the assignment of the CTRL knobs doesn’t change the assignment of the recorded motion”.

I would also add the following:

• Add a way to input pitch per-step.

Not being able to record the sample voices chromatically is the only major fault with this box IMHO.

1 Like

yeah - what is the sample folder hierarchy ? I have a card but haven’t looked at importing any samples yet…

Did I read somewhere that you can have folders within the SAMPLES folder, but not nested folders ?

in othe words can you have say a folder for KICKS … one for FX… one for SYNTH etc etc. but no sub-folders inside those ?

I think you can input pitch per step but it’s using numbers not note notation so a bit fiddly. Hold a step and turn the value knob.
With motion record on.

I would actually prefer the TR08, but only because of massive space problems and the nostalgic look. Chances are high I can get the tr08 very cheap now (I assume they will lower the price also, as seen for the 09)
I have to say I love 808 sounds. I never got bored of them. . Only used samples so far.
My favourite sounding samples are actually in a free ableton drumrack by Legowelt.

Correct - no sub folders.

I know. Please see Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

I would like to have a dedicated way to input pitch per step that’s independent of what the CTRL knob is assigned to.

Currently it’s for example impossible to program a melodic line and then have a knob to tweak filter frequency during performance.

This seems like a major oversight from Roland, especially since they’ve included a lot of really nice single cycle waveforms and since the sample voices have a pretty decent filter with its own envelope.

We are talking about the same thing except that I’ve never used the ctrl knob for this - I’m not in front of my machine but try holding a step with motion record on and change the pitch using the value knob under the screen. Does this leave ctrl free for other assignments?

No, you can only change the value knob you’re talking about after you’ve first engaged the tactile knob (CTRL, Tune, DECAY).

You can’t start with the value knob under the text screen.

I thought I was on to something. When I first twisted that value knob. But I wasn’t

1 Like

Ah ok - I thought the same and it looked like it was “defaulting” to Coarse tune in semitone steps… maybe I was blinded by hope.

1 Like

No, it does not work like that.

I really like and use the four kick and snare knobs on tr8, shame if they have reduced those options

You mean you actually use the comp knob ? I never found a use for that…

I did but you have to drop the fader quite a bit obviously. It was a good sound to have deep and short with a long reverb tail. For soundscape stuff. Could live without it for all the other good stuff on the new box, mind.

Enjoying all your demos.

Which of the two machines is the master here?

Doesn’t sound like there’s a delay between pattern change on one machine, and the change to the new pattern on the other one - if there’s any pattern change happening.

Lol and here.

Hope I can try one of these in store. I wasn’t really interested but wow there’s a lot of positive response to this.

Thank you!!!

Digitone is the master. No pattern changes. But I am changing the variations.

I should clarify, if it already hasn’t been clarified, changing patterns with the same kit doesn’t produce an audio drop out.

Changing patterns with different kits, even if it’s a copy of the same kit, will produce the drop out effect.

3 Likes

Questions for owners:

Does it come with a proper printed manual?

How is the individual last step working when using all 8 sections of a pattern? I understand that each track has the same number of steps for all 8 sections, but if working on say the snare which lets say has 12 steps does each section move through each page/section at its own rate - assuming that you can edit/write across all 8 sections consecutively in a chain?

Yes

I have to say it‘s refreshing to get a drum machine that has all the advertised features, doesn‘t crash within the first five minutes of test driving it and that has all its buttons in the right place. Might just be a role model for other companies to aspire to. I like the TR-8s so far. I find its design a lot less repulsive than the previous one. I totally dig the faders as a performance tool and to my ears it does sound good, just one word of advice: if you can help it at all, don‘t play the factory patterns, I find them shockingly bad.

2 Likes