Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Will it have boutique type midi lag?

I reckon if I get the TR-8S I’ll still be keeping my TR-08 and TR-09, so damn cute, focussed on one thing and tiny that it doesn’t make sense for me to get rid, plus the TR-8S can do the 727 and 707 duties whilst the boutiques handle the 808/909 stuff :wink:

1 Like

My £155 used/beat up MPC1000 with JJOS02XL (custom firmware) tops all these machines in terms of hardware and software capabilities. I’m seriously considering selling my DT as its too limited and the much promised OB is still vaporware.

MPC1000 JJOS adds

1. Step Sequencer
  2. Active Live looper
  3. Multi-Timbrality
  4. Non-destructive Beat Slicer
  5. Micro timing
  6. Instrument Program mode

the JJOS list is VERY feature rich
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/os2xl_os3.htm

what MIDI lag ? if you mean MIDI clock I’ve found the Roland stuff to be rock solid ?

the very reason to avoid it. 808/909 is soooooo over used/over rated now. its 2018, time to make new drum sounds not look backwards all the time?

4 Likes

…& we’re back to that.

yep - better stop making acoustic pianos, guitars, Marshall cabs, trumpets, Ludwig snare drums too then… avoid avoid…

seriously though - this gives you all the classics, a bit of in-between by basic sound edits plus any other sound you can throw into it as a sample. Job done :slight_smile:

Uh you’re also forgetting it’s not an analog drum machine at all, thus the half the price part making more sense.

Oh shit. Just saw the price tag. Nevermind.

People were saying this in 1995 and they were wrong then too. One thing that some people do not seem to get is what a great job Roland engineers did when designing these classic drum circuits, try making a Rytm or any other analog drum machine or synth sound as good as an 808 BD and you realise why people are still using that ‘tired old played out’ sound.

I could continue but I think the point is made, I get that some people are tired of these sounds but I think that they and others will still be tired of them in another 20 years too, others won’t :thup:

2 Likes

The overused sounds go well with all the overused loops people make.

3 Likes

Indeed, but Arturia made the Drumbrute cheaper than both and analog, but shit :rofl:

3 Likes

“GB color faders and TR-REC buttons let you customize the brightness, glow, and color of each element”

Nice touch - being able to dim the LEDs is a big improvement.

This is an insta-buy for me. TR-8 is the only drum machine left on my table right now. Been through lots. Now you’re telling me my favorite drum machine has a new & improved version? Very nice. This thing looks like a live Dub Techno powerhouse. Checks all the boxes for me. I’m all in. Hell, I would have been happy with an all-black TR-8 - everything else is gravy!

4 Likes

It’s nowhere near as easy to use though. People buy the TR8 for simplicity.

Plus the MPC1k with JJOS goes for around ÂŁ400 these days, not ÂŁ155

1 Like
1 Like

oh ohhh, where does that one come from ? was that announced before anywhere ?
this thing will be sold out immediately - i propably won´t buy it, but anyway

I guess they used 303 day (get it?) to tease this one but that’s about it as far as “advance warning”.

Yes, we know the 808 and 909 are the most imitated drum machines of all time, but the combination of usability features on the TR-8S (velocity sensitive pad, dimmable lights, separate analog outs, etc) does represent an advancement over past incarnations of those two machines.

Nevermind. Saw some more videos. Must buy.

6 Likes

Even though Roland’s device it is not analog (and yes, that explains part of the price difference), the modelling of the TR8 has already been quite ok, and it seems all the more with their effort to enhance the modelling in the T8s. It does not just offer 808/909 modelling, but all the x0x sounds modelled in one device - with additional user sample use, multiple outs, excellent UI/workflow and easy DAW integration.

As I said, if Elektron doesn’t get overbridge into working condition for their present device generation VERY fast, they will be watching this thing being sold like sliced bread, while they can write minority reports about their shrinking user base.

It’s funny how Overbridge (and FAR better communication with users who bought Elektron gear, trusting in the Feruary release date in good faith) might become Elektron’s most important survival tool in no time, looking at things to come.