Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

But wait. If you can use your own samples. How do you control the ADSR? How would I set a sample to play a specific number of steps?

Curious

if Elektron dont release overbridge for DT this month, i will sell my DT for this

2 Likes

Roland actually included what i’ve been asking for some years ago for the Analog Rytm:

Beat Variations (and a good fill-in function) .
You can have 8 variations per pattern, and 16 patterns per track
and then you have substeps, scatter and much more.

i hope it is not limited to 4 bars :wink:

but really good sequencer , Roland, though intelligent Ghost notes would be very nice too !

How do you get samples on an SD card in this day and age? Curious.

So many questions…

SD card reader. I use this one:

SD card reader (my laptop has one built in) if you have an iPad or iPhone the CCK works… many ways

1 Like

Lots of laptops have SD card readers right on the chassis.

From what I understand from the video each pattern can have 8 sections (the OG had 2 per pattern) and these 8 sections can play sequentially or in isolation, on the fly as well. :wink: So each pattern can be effectively 8 bars, then you have 2 fills which can be triggered manually or every x bars automatically and this can also be changed on the fly, flexible and simple.

2 Likes

:thinking:
Am I correct to think (comparing DT, OT and the subject of this thread) that TR8S, if everything goes as planned, is a more straightforward and “effective” performance drum machine (although with no cond. trigs.) than DT. And at the same time OT is a far deeper sampler than DT that works good both without and with (when it comes) Overbridge.
So, OT + TR8S = ultimate power? :smile:

4 Likes
2 Likes

Hmmm - I have a 2011 MBP. I’m thinking it has an SD reader built in. But I’ve never used it, so I don’t know here in my work cubicle, working or work stuff…

The sample parameters actually seem rather comprehensive. From the manual:

8 Likes

a live streams on facebook right now with artist demoing the unit:

I might just keep my TR-8 and lug along the OT if I need samples.

1 Like

Its very very very tempting, in combination with my modular. Those outputs and all… but I am not gonna step in to it at the moment. First I want to see/hear more. I find the Rytm and the DT very musical and love the workflow. Same as the toraiz that I use at the moment with my modular because of its individual outs and direct sampling. This tr8s will not fill a gap for me so it has to be very very good… maybe when it hits the second hand market in about 6 months…

Edit: and this time I - must - be - strong…

4 Likes

Great news and I‘m glad I let my TR-8 go a while ago. This will likely eat into DT and AR sales and I hope Elektron will up their game as a result.

5 Likes

How much did you get for it, if I may ask? Now seems to be a bad time to sell my TR-8…

I had just convinced myself that I should save for retirement rather than get a MD or Ableton Live 10 and now this drops lol. I have very fond memories of my TR-8 other than its sound was just a little to limited for what I wanted to do. Great fun by itself or with friends. I’m curious if this signals a ‘MKII’ of all the Aira range or some entirely new pieces.

1 Like

I was thinking if I already have tr8 & OT2, what does new tr8s bring?
Motion record - does it record fader movements?
Multiple outs
Samples, but then I have ot
A few other nice additions. Will buy after the fuss dies down…

1 Like

I was thinking same - updated mx1…

1 Like