Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Same here.
You can always use the OT to motion sequence the TR-8, of course.

I find quick fader movements on the hats and cymbal create some very snappy rhythms with almost a reverse effect on the cymbal, not sure ot could do this but then it is full of surprises.

Like if the OT and a mixer had a babyā€¦

Exactly what I think, no disrespect to Elektron but this almost universal praise on a product launch demonstrates that Roland are offering what a lot of people have been asking for, and undoubtedly they have borrowed ideas from Elektron, and more importantly listened to their user base, something which Elektron seem to be less interested in since the past few years.

I think it is going to be a tough sell for Elektron, considering how great ACB sounds, and the realtime and live use stuff is very close to the surface, rather than cryptic button combos and menus etc.

7 Likes

You can, although you need to disable notes from the TR-8.
Hereā€™s a short and crappy video I did four years ago, automating hihat decay:

1 Like

Had a quick perusal of the manual but, um, no Scatter fx? :thinking:

Others
SIDE CHAIN (for EXT IN)
SCATTER (as one of Fill-In function)
Sample reverse
LFO ā€“ 1 LFO per kit with instrument settings of parameter and depth

(from CDM),
http://cdm.link/2018/03/roland-tr-8s-hands-playable-powerful-drum-machine/:

I donā€™t pretend to know what that means, heheh.

1 Like

Cheers, I couldnā€™t do a search but it seems a bit vague doesnā€™t it?
Mmm.
Probs should check the vids!

They gave me conditional trigs for the OT. I forgive them everything else :rofl:

3 Likes

Even if it only took 7 years. (Request#3 my first post in this thread) http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=113562&catid=9

:wink:

3 Likes

Yeah itā€™s not much infoā€¦ but I guess they ditched some of the original scatter presets.
I hope they kept the looper one (preset 5 or 6, not sure), which is dead simple, predictable, and can make some pretty cool stutters.

2 Likes

I think it only eats into sales for people who are looking for something like this.
I realize a lot of people really love this thing, but itā€™s definitely not everybody.

2 Likes

you were way ahead of your time mate :wink:

1 Like

Page 4 on that thread my post about slices - youā€™re welcome :rofl:

1 Like

Visionary, thanks! Why did they stop listen to you? :grinning:

1 Like

Anyone know what the construction is like on this; any metal pieces at all? I never messed with the original TR8 because the limited 16-pattern memory made it very unappealing to me, but it always kind of gave off the impression of looking flimsy.

I wonder if everyone who celebrated how creative the TR8ā€™s limitations made them are upset that their creative limitations are now gone.

Build on the original is not tank-like, but surprisingly durable and light.
New one is 2.1 kg, so thereā€™s likely more metal in there. (more outputsā€¦)
Just donā€™t throw it at the wall out of frustration and youā€™ll be fine.

The limitations of the original can be compensated, if one is fortunate enough to own an Octatrackā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a head scratcher: All modern USB audio interfaces are ā€œclass compliantā€ which means you plug it in and the n+m channels of audio just appear. You can get like >16 channels in and out w/o a driver.

Why, then, do both this, and Elektron gear need a driver on the computer to provide multi-channel audio via USB?

I wanna use this stuff on Linuxā€¦ well that, and I donā€™t trust them to keep the drivers up to date as computing platforms changeā€¦

Follow up puzzle: Does this, like the other Aria gear, insist that the USB audio runs only at 96kHz? Who thought that was a good idea?

1 Like

Good question, . . .

I can answer the follow up puzzle: no one thought that was a good idea, and the most recent update allows you to send audio via USB at 44.1 khz

Roland has just added a few interesting videos of a few gret artists jamming on this thing to their YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC4vbiZMU_yrheYVZH393-Zw (click the videos tab and sort on date added).

I really kinda sorta want one now.

2 Likes