Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Reminds me of something Akai Dan would do.

2 Likes

Can I use a keyboard controller to trigger my drums with velocity with this machine ?

Yes you can trigger the drums sounds with an external controller and it will use its velocity

1 Like

hello. hope you are all well.
lord knows how i have ended up here but ive read a few posts and even thogh i havent got a clue it looks interesting. took the plunge on a tr8s. for the love of god i cant get any sound out of it through my mac. i have a clarett 2 pre lightning all working as my interface. driver seems loaded ok. ive added midi device etc. i can see it as an input in preferences and the noise meter goes up and down with me stop starting a pattern. just no sound. hopefully something simple. its moody when i turn it off as well as it freezes my mac. i know you have to let the thing stop playing but im sure its having me at it.
any help much appreciated even if its just to take the mick.
thank you.

just turned it off and it froze my mac again.
i think its going back in the box and im going to admit defeat
roland can shove it.
thanks anyway !!

I would like to share some thought about TR8S. If could help maintain/stop gaz about it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1/ When i bought it, my main concern was the direct hands on drum and tracks. I still think that it’s very immediat. Lot of usefull knobs combinaison that well extend the faders and the rotary parameters.
I find the menu diving well organised. It could have been a problem. But with shift button (that facilitate skiping within menu parts) it is pretty easy.
But, when it comes to deeply shape the sound to make it alive, you have to go into menus, and must precisely look to the screen to find the parameter you want to apply to the sound.

That’s a main difference with the AR. In TRs8, you must read and tweak before deeply modifying the sound. In the AR, you haven’t to focus to the screen because that’s not menu diving. The screen is just the reflect of the parameters. That mean it’s easier to know were you are with just the leds, and, synth physionomy is easier to remember. At a point where you can play and tweak without looking (not too often) to the screen.
So it’s more confortable and natural, nearest the one button one function than it seems.

That’s the main point wich immediatly appears, in my practice of drum machine, the TRS8 is more in the ability of play drums and improvising patterns than in deep sound tweaking. That said, of course you really can change the sound easily, but that’s not as easy as AR when it comes to evolving sound.

That mean, the TRs8, for me, is the drum machine to have if the kits are prepared and shaped (before begening of session). If you still have a good possibility to shape sound, you mainly can focus on patterns and improvising (with the fantastic ability of writing patterns during the main one is playing !) their evolution. A bit like Jeff Mils with the TR909, playing drums is the object.
5/ I also bought it for the sound. All TR in one… that’s true for me. Nice sound. Not a big deal to reach good and clean sounding. A bit like MPC’s. I find ACB does well its job.
Well, one more time, when it comes to sound, my preference goes to AR. The sounds is more alive, uncertain, and core (if I can use this word). Maybe that’s because I always prefer raw underground type of sound than clean club/hifi raw one. Question of vibrato.

3/ I really like the TR8s, it’s immediacy, it’s raw clean sound. I have a lot of fun with it, it’s exactly what I wanted, exactly why I bought it.
I would advice it to any human that love drum machines.

4/ I understand the great price difference between AR, TR8-S. These are not the same objects.
But I really would like have the best of the two world
:zipper_mouth_face:

11 Likes

Hi guys! One question:
If I glue 2 variations, let s say A and B, and I want to modify the kick in B variation and I am in A… How can I imeddiatelly go from A to B for the kick part let s say?

I don t see an arrow to go to step 17 and so…
Thanks a lot!

Or just say I want to program the kick for 32 or more steps… how to easily go from step 16 to 17 and on?

Press and hold TR-Rec, then select the variation you’d like to edit.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Also when I want to program a melody, not drums, how can I program different notes on different steps?

I think you just hold a step with an instrument selected and turn the knob of the parameter you want to set, but I could be mistaken. I think you need to have the motion play button activated to hear the change take effect.

2 Likes

Hold down a step you want to edit, look at the screen, you can cycle through pitch, decay, ctrl, and velocity. Use the edit knob to dial in values.

Or, turn motion record on, hold down a step, dial in a pitch for that step using the pitch knob.

4 Likes

Thanks guys!
Is there any UNDO feature for wrong recording?

All the answers to your questions are in the manual

“Clear all motion record” = undo.

1 Like

I saw that…

Does the TR-8s allow 2 mono external input sources like the Digitone? Anybody who owns one - how does it work?

Yes, you can run two mono sources, however, unlike the digitone, I don’t believe you can control the pan settings individually.

2 Likes

Another question… can the factory samples be removed and completely replaced with user samples? Or is it like the Model:Samples where the factory samples reside permanently in the unit selection?

Pretty sure they’re locked in, but I could be wrong. I pretty much only use TR / FM sounds.