Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Funny thing… they just updated 707 / 101 today… So I bet 8s will get it too sooner or later

2 Likes

When I saw the Innerclock litmus-numbers for the 8s my jaw dropped.

Damn, this is one tight machine. Love when the engineers care about stuff like this.

==============================================
Roland TR-8s

Sync Master

Audio Out Jitter >
16 samples / 0.17ms

Sync Slave - MIDI Clock

Audio Out Jitter >
16 samples / 0.17ms

===============================================

3 Likes

Everything as been told about tr8s here. I really like it. That’s not my only drum machine, and i have lot of fun playing it.
Despite it’s form factor, that correspond to confortable playability, and few minors defaults, already discussed here, it’s a keeper.
You can join a Digitakt to it, if appeals, do it, but keep tr8s !

3 Likes

Wondering is there anything like a jitter statistic on other machines? Would be interesting to compare.

You know this list by Innerclock Systems?

Edit:

Jaw-dropping indeed…I’ll just pretent I didn’t see this and listen to some dusty Rytm BDs instead…anticipating the arrival of the last dark trinity member (hopefully) next month. :partying_face:

3 Likes

Thanks! Interesting reading.

Strange to see that almost all Behringer products are rock solid with the clock, and that TR8 has a really big jitter (almost 2ms ) comparing to TR8s (almost 0).

Also this explains why most of MPCs are so “groovy”, especially 3000 and 4000.

1 Like

This sounds like a great trick - but I just cannot get it to work.
I have tried importing samples prefixed with bd_samplename and BD_samplename and even using folders named BD or bd, but everything just gets dumped into the IMPORT folder.

Could you provide step-by-(baby)step for it? I would be infinitely grateful.

Under Utility => Sample => Category you can create custom categories to help sort your samples. If you hit Sample, scroll to the sample you want to categorize then hit Shift+Sample, you can edit the category the sample is placed in. This includes the native categories and the custom ones you can create.

For general sample management, suffixing samples in a meaningful way is always helpful. I use BD_ for kicks SD_ for snares CP_ for claps etc. This makes it easy to browse your samples in the Import folder.

The functionality for categorizing and customizing your sample attributes is pretty full featured if not immediately apparent.

1 Like

You can.

:slight_smile:

Don‘t have tr8s , only tr8 . I can‘t decide if or what to get.
You are talking about jitter here or about the 808 style vintage ( a bit wonky) clock on tr8 that can be disabled in startup „menu“?
I dont know if tr8s has that too , if it can be enabled and disabled, or if less midi jitter is one of the many many advantages of tr8s compared to tr8.

1 Like

It’s all start to became obvious when the machine get recorded or play live in midi clock sync with other machines I guess. When it comes to “internal sounds” triggering it should be tight anyways… or I’m missing something?

I always enjoy tight and groovy analog sync (ie modular clock and old 808/606/303 din sync ). It makes big difference…

I guess in computer world it’s the same problem… I’ve heard Pro Tools provides the most stable clock / sync / timing.

Not an expert on this, would love to hear more opinions…

Don‘t know, im no expert. Very possible tr8s has less jitter or better acb of analog swing…Just to be clear you have this setting disabled on tr8?

The original TR-808 drifted slightly at faster tempos (like those heard in Drum and Bass) and snapped back at the end of a bar. If you like the sound and feel of the original 808 groove, set your TR-8 to this timing by holding down PTN SELECT and turning the device on. If PAD 7 is unlit, the TR-8 will operate with traditional TR-808 timing. When PAD 7 is lit, the TR-8 operates with modern, super-solid timing, bang on the beat every time!

Just found an odd bug and I’m wondering if someone could check on their unit with firmware 2.0.1 on it.

• Go to a new pattern and clear it so there’s no steps programmed (Clear+Pattern while in PTN SELECT mode)
  • Make the pattern two variations in length by pushing A+B at the same time
  • Program any instrument on step 16 on the second variation
  • Press play.

Step 16 in the second variation is played when step 16 is traversed in the first variation even though there is no step programmed. This behavior occurs in multi-variation chains in all cases on all instruments.

One variation patterns play correctly on step 16 but if you increase it in length, step 16 from one variation is always triggered on step 16 of the one that precedes it. Tested on new pattern. No LAST STEP settings on any tracks.

If someone could confirm this behavior on their 2.0.1 unit it would be greatly appreciated.

:slight_smile:

There’s a v2.0.1 ?

Yup. Bug fixes. Came out in January I think? Introduced this bug afaict.

Cause of issue found though I’m waiting for a reply from Roland. I did not do a factory reset prior to upgrading so they suggested I do a back up and start there. The default pattern did not exhibit this behavior. I restored my backup and the issue persisted.

Support also asked me to check my shuffle settings.

I checked the shuffle and there was a +30 shuffle applied. Setting it to 0 remedies the problem but I am at a loss as to why it causes the behavior it does.

If I have |----------------|---------------X| programmed and apply anything above +5 (all the from +6 to +127) shuffle it plays |---------------X|----------------|. Why would it rush the kick by 16 steps? This makes no sense and is clearly a bug.

Curious if others can reproduce this as I don’t think this has anything to do with failing to default before doing a minor upgrade.

Oh. Im using OS v2. Im not keen to update my machine for a minor bug fix, (which I personally have not experienced ) only to introduce another bug…

Can you revert to V2? How did that work for you?

1 Like

Can find v2 for download and deleted my download awhile back. Not sure the effects of a downgrade either. 2.0 was working without issue.

Hopefully Roland support can reproduce it then submit it as a bug. I defaulted my machine again and tested on factory pattern that I cleared. Issue is definitely there.

Edit: Support reproduced the issue. Hopefully something addressed in a firmware fix.

1 Like

Thanks for the response - it sounds like I misunderstood the post from @flocked.
I was hoping that by following a naming convention the samples would be automatically moved into the correct category when they are imported so I don’t have to do it manually.

1 Like

Just traded for this thing and damn it is awesome.
Like when I built my x0xb0x…the sound I been chasing for years finally readily available.
Props to the designers.

4 Likes