Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

2 Likes

Is anyone else chomping at the bit for a possible update to this incredible machine this Sunday (8/8)? Personally, I would love to see:

• Probability added to steps
  • The ability to lock the tune knob to chromatic pitches
  • One LFO per track rather than per kit

And a host of others that I canā€™t recall off the top of my headā€¦ anyone else?

9 Likes

Iā€™d love a tune option for all ACB drums. So for example: the 909 kick has a tune parameter, but it does not actually tune the whole drum, but rather the pitch envelope depth. I would love to actually tune the whole drum!

1 Like

These would all be great additions. Taking the tuning even further, it would be great to be able to select pitches within a scale.

Iā€™d also like to be able to set the fill to alternate between both fill patterns.

2 Likes

The main thing I want is an easier way to build or upload kits with imported samples. Iā€™ve barely spent any time building my own kits with samples because, well, Iā€™m lazy. If it worked like the SP404 where you could import a folder and the samples were auto-assigned in order, that would be great.

2 Likes

All of those would be fantastic.

Some good tips in here. I was noting the key combos, I didnt know a few of those.

I liked the filter tricks, sounds pretty good actually, I havent used the filters much at all since I use mostly ACB or the FM sounds for drums, havent really tried to make synthy sounds.

Iā€™ve just picked up a TR8S and find it unbelievable that thereā€™s no searchable term for ā€˜metronomeā€™ or ā€˜clickā€™ in the reference manual or owners manual, and that thereā€™s no obvious control/label ANYWHERE for a metronome/click track on a DRUM MACHINE!!!

Apologies for the rant, but Iā€™ve got off to the worse start with it because of this. So frustratingā€¦ still havenā€™t found it if anyone would be kind enough to enlighten meā€¦

Thereā€™s no metronome - like the 808 or 909, or even a machinedrum.

Use a rimshot or something.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up.
Find it hard to believe thereā€™s no click on itā€¦ having to make one is a PITA when youā€™ve been playing with an idea on padsā€¦ hmmm. :face_with_monocle:

Really? Loads of drum machines dont have a metronome. Kinda because they are a metronome I guessā€¦
Not that hard to put four notes in on what ever spare voice until youve recorded your beat then delete the four notes.

Yeah, thatā€™s fair enoughā€¦ it just makes it more of a ā€˜programmerā€™ than a ā€˜playerā€™ā€¦ I should have done more research and not presumed.

It also caught me out because I have an MC707 that does have a metronomeā€¦ anywayā€¦ itā€™s back in its box for now.

What if you play your quarter notes in? Or eighth notes or whatever, I mean, youre gonna need them anyway right?

My main units currently are an Analog Rytm and MPC Live 2. Iā€™ll come to both of these with a kit set up and start playing padsā€¦ as soon as I get something, itā€™s tap tempo, metronome on, then play in what Iā€™m doing.

Having to stop this to find a rim/hat, place in 1/4ā€™s or 1/8ā€™s stops that flow and I can easily forget/alter what I was playing with that delay.

I know it sounds like nitpicking and/or insignificant, but itā€™s important to my creative workflow.
When I come back to the TR8S, Iā€™ll now know that thatā€™s a factor of it I need to remember.

Itā€™s disappointing though because I genuinely wanted the TR8S to impress me from the off, and itā€™s failed in that for now.
(Usual caveats for ymmv, and Iā€™m glad if others like it as a drum machine.):v:

1 Like

Well if built in metronome is a deal breaker you can probably live without the TR8-S.

I like the TR8-S. Cant say I ever thought about metronome. I usually just bang in 2 snares, then play the rest in. Copy and paste to make variations after that. Super quick and easy.

Ive been considering an MPC for linear sequencing possibilities myself, not sure if i can be bothered learning another sequencer though. Got plenty of knobs to twiddle, and so little time.

3 Likes

Yes, same hereā€¦ that dawned on me with the first mess with the TR8S, I havenā€™t got the inclination to learn another sequencerā€¦ I thought Iā€™d be able to jump on and use my 707 knowledge, but I know itā€™s going to take a bit more than that.

If you did take the plunge on the MPC though, itā€™s a great time to do it with the recent updateā€¦ itā€™s not without itā€™s own learning curve, but it is a beast.

Hmmm, big update hasnā€™t arrived as we had hopedā€¦but a minor update was released today (2.03), maybe paving the way for a future biggie :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A couple of guys can dream, right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hoping they fixed the swing bug I foundā€¦just saw this and Iā€™m going to load it up today.

Edit: Just based on the notes stating one bug being fixed it looks like they didnā€™t fix my bug. And Roland Support had even acknowledged it as a bug.

Found this bug and support confirmed reproduction of it on May 19th. Sad if they didnā€™t fix it.

EDIT: Sweet Geebus! FIXED! Just not listed in the patch notes :slight_smile: To clarify, bug introduced in 2.0.1 and fixed in 2.0.3. Happy times. Minor but I put hits on that step often.

5 Likes