Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Ah ! Good ! I was still on 2.0 nd decided not to move based on youyr feedback.

1 Like

And a 3-band Eq with variable mid frequency per track would be :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Howā€™s Program Change with an Elektron box?

Works fine so long as you are aware of one small snag

Thereā€™s more talk on this in ealier posts on this thread.

I ironed it out and it works just fine. I change patterns on my elektrons, TR8-S follows nicely.

Edit:
Sorry, programme change? Or pattern change?

Havent tried changing kits from elektrons.

2 Likes

Pattern change. Thank you.

1 Like

Yeah mate, if you track this thread its all in there. Or PM for me specific stuff.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Donā€™t know if Iā€™ll buy one but Iā€™m getting some infos first in case I pull the trigger.

1 Like

Excellent.
It has become a VIP (very important piece) in my studio. Solid backbone to my set up.

4 Likes

Some will already know this, but for me its new.

I just loaded a whole bunch of folders full of vintage drum machine samples onto my TR8-S. A total of 322 samples.

I thought it was going to be a painful experience but it wasnt at all. Thought Iā€™d share my experience. Surprisingly smooth and quick, I just followed the manual.

Not as slick as doing it on the octatrack, but not as slow as digitakt elektron transfer or C6.

Pretty stoked, the samples sound great through the TR8-S effects and filters. I didnā€™t think Iā€™d end up using the sample side of the TR8-S at all really, but it turns out I just write better grooves on this thing than on my OT, and I have more fun.

6 Likes

Now I know what Iā€™m doing after the next meeting endsā€¦

2 Likes

Emu Drumulator samples layered with an 808 snare and cymbal, tight room reverb and all punched into the compressorā€¦ OOF!

2 Likes

Cool cool ā€¦ Iā€™m just about to have another ā€œroundā€ of using it more ā€¦ Need to try ā€œpattern changeā€, maybe it will do magic together with DTā€¦ and I like the connectivity of it with triggers and all the stuff > into modular ā€¦ Itā€™s a good interesting machine ā€¦ Far from being perfect, but super usefulā€¦

But NO UPDATES ??? !!!
Still waiting for another one this yearā€¦ things from 707, effects, probability, more sample editing etcā€¦

Iā€™d be happy with not cutting off tails on pattern/kit change. Both of the onboard instrument tails and the external inputs. Iā€™m otherwise really happy with the feature set and performability :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Its got all the 707 sounds. (And they sound brilliant)

Its got more effects that you would ever need.

Probably = lazy mode.

:wink:

Not a fan of probability either. Now, conditional trigsā€¦thatā€™s a game changer.

2 Likes

Pattern settings, Kit sw OFF.
Doesnt cut tails when changing patterns.

I use a different kit for each pattern. So each pattern is essentially the jam-able framework for a live song. So that should be adjusted to ā€œdonā€™t cut the tails off external inputs or onboard sounds when doing a kit changeā€

Ah ok. Depends how you use it I guess.
I use a one bank for each song/track across all my sequencers. Keeps things simple and uniform. 1 kit per song/track.

Maybe theyā€™ll sort it in a future update?

1 Like

I hope so but Iā€™m not optimistic. I just have to work around it. Itā€™s a minor hassle but one that would make things a lot easier.

But hey, with a Digitakt on the horizon, I can juggle drum tracks between the two. :wink: Already tested that method out with a TR6-S in the mix. It works well.

1 Like