Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Easy then!
Maybe the kit switch thing is a limitation of the DSP? There’s a hell of a lot going on when you think about it.

Quite likely. The only things I could think of that would mitigate at least one of the undesirable behaviors would be to have the EXT IN settings configured globally rather than per KIT (or option to do it at the KIT or GLOBAL level). The EXT IN drops audio for a split, but noticeable, second upon kit change. That should be an easy, non-DSP taxing change.

For preserving onboard instrument and effects tails, if possible, use some type of 1 bar buffer for tails that gets routed out the master at the moment of kit change. I’m sure in programmer land there’s a method for these types of scenarios. I think the MC-707 did something similar with clips that were cutting off tails. This bit might be constrained by DSP limitations though.

Wouldn’t mind to have an option to set user parameters to all three cntrl knobs, not only the last one

Also would be nice to have custom user selected ALT sound per every instrument, not only for a few sounds

Trig Conditions / probability

More fx (chorus / flanger / phaser / rumble verb per instrument )

LFO per sound, not only global

Ability to easily set sample parameters in real time like start / end points, loop playback, and lfo control over it

Add that!!!
And I think we’ve done : )

@Microtribe

Do you know if there is a way to change the kit via midi without changing patterns with kit switch turned on?

I had my 8s set up to follow OT pattern changes, but got tired of manually having to copy over a kit every time I switched patterns. (I was using a blank template)

The TR-8s is such a fun, jammable drum machine once it’s all set up, but I’ve really gotten frustrated with the menu scrolling at times.

Would you be willing to share your setup strategy with regards to pattern / kits… especially when using the 8s with the OT?Any tips for streamlining this process?

Suppose you want the moon on a stick as well?
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Here’s how I work it.
I have my TR8-S set up so kit and pattern are linked. I work with Bank per song.

Utilies/General/ kit select = PTN

Also important-

Utilities/General/ start pattern LAST

This means TR8-S will load the lasr active pattern when you powered off, just like elektrons.

Then I use SHIFT+WRITE to save pattern and kit together.

The first pattern of a song, kit sw turned ON. So when I select Bank 1 pattern 1 for example, the correct kit is loaded with the pattern. I do this from my OT, and all other machines in the chain follow That command.

From here on in, all patterns for a song have kit sw OFF
Pattern Settings/ SW OFF. I turn it ON for the first pattern of the new song that needs a different kit.

This means I can progress through any of the patterns in that bank, and the kit remains consistent.

As for writing new patterns/kits, I find copy pasting them to an empty bank is a super quick way to maintain consistency across the songs in the project. Its easier to edit an existing kit, and save to a new kit slot, than it is to start from scratch. Same for patterns.

Its actually more complicated to write up than it is to do.

6 Likes

@Microtribe

Wow. Thank you so much for the detailed write up. I really appreciate it.

So kit sw… settings are saved on the pattern level? I somehow missed this. Also, the shift+write shortcut will help.

1 Like

No problem! Hope it helps.

Yes its worth noting that rather than scroll endlessly through menus and sub menus, you have direct access buttons to the relevant menu.
So:
Kit edit
Instrument edit
Sample edit
Pattern edit
And lastly, Utilities, where you find everything else.

Every menu has its own button. Not unlike Elektron really.

2 Likes

I just had a session with the TR-8S after months not using it… the TR is still king of the techno improvisation. And that sound !

6 Likes

Just did the same. I think I just realized that the TR-8s is almost certainly the most fun and playable instrument that I have. I do get frustrated with the setup / saving structure, but once I’ve got a kit dialled in it’s just so fun.

3 Likes

Heads up - if you head over to the speculative “SP404MK2” thread, you’ll see there is (apparently) a “TR editor” MacOS/Windows app being released soon…

2 Likes

From Roland?

1 Like
5 Likes

Cheers, need to check this out today.

Can you load samples from this editor?

Nice. I look forward to giving this a try.

the link is taking me to an unsecure site… is there a link to the official roland cloud site?

I’m hoping there is another firmware update with probability and the ability to play chromatically.

I have a tr-6s, thats a noice sample fodder.
I like to dial in kits and sample that into digitakt, mc707 or bitwig.

I would like to see some screenshots or something of this software, so I can know if I really need it.
My Google-Foo is a bit meh.

it’s not yet released, we’ll have to wait until the 19th

1 Like