Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

I’m absolutely loving the FM “Simple Kick”. With a long decay and the morph knob dialled to the left, it sounds like a boomy 808 kick. With a shorter decay and the morph knob turned more to the right, it sounds more like a punchy, distorted 909 kick. So many sweet spots to be found, with room for a bit of tweaking, while still fitting nicely with other sounds.

10 Likes

Yep, my fav too!

2 Likes

The TR-8s sounds amazing with the Zoia IMO

1 Like

If Detroit modular still has them in stock, you can get a new one for just over $650 with their 10% off code BF10.

Its a hidden jem isnt it? A whole world of gorgeous bass drum sounds. Im very impressed by its capabilities .

2 Likes

Yeah, it really is. It’s the only kick I want to use these days.

I haven’t used many other drum machines, and I’m probably a bit biased, but I genuinely believe the TR-8s is one of the best ones ever. It’s so fun to play.

6 Likes

I’ve gone through a few drum machines. TR8-S is easily my favourite. I love the sound of it, and like you say, its fun

That counts for a lot.

4 Likes

The motion recording and the the step loop functions are both really great for live improvisation.

3 Likes

The sample engine is impressive too. I had initially not taken any interest in the sample side of things due to having an octatrack.

However, after loading a bunch of my own samples, there’s a lot of deep sample shaping to be done with the stock engine, without adding FX.

ACB, FM and Samples. Thats 3 sound engines in one drum machine. Pretty impressive.

1 Like

Yes. There’s fun to be had with the samples too. I haven’t loaded any of my own yet, but lately I’ve been playing with a crash sample using the ctrl knob assigned to playback speed (affects the pitch). I’ve been able to find some strange tones that I’ve motion recorded to create weird sci-fi atonal melodic stuff.

I have only had it a few weeks, but I first thought I would be using ACB and FM all the time, but then I started messing with samples too, and wow! Changing the playback speeds of built-in samples and adding filter and LFO creates some great drones.
I swear I will eventually sync my Model:Cycles with it, but right now…

1 Like

Just had a strange session when in the middle of it my TR8s fader of LT started to send data even I did not touched it. Even strange is that when pulled down, the lowest value I get is 115. I did factory resets and I am on latest 2.03 firmware but it does look like the fader has to be changed. Still in warranty but wanted to check if anyone had similar issue or / if there is a remedy without sending it for a service. Thanks.

Oh bad luck. Worht a squirt of contact cleaner on the pot before you go to more trouble?
Mine’s not to a beat wrong and remains resolutely jam-tastic!

Are you playing it standalone or with other kit? If the latter, where does it sit in the MIDI chain?

1 Like

Had something similar with my SD fader. The fader was replaced within warranty and haven’t had a problem anymore since then.

Will give it a try. It just started to be wonky dorky during a jam. Suddenly I had a sound coming out while all faders were down. Really strange as I do not perform live and its studio

Tonight it was sending CV to DFAM and Midi to Typhon. Its usually very simple jam setup. No live jams, sits in comfy in my home studio. Very surrpised if there is some dust as I do care about my boxes.

I would not spray anything into it, you might lose your warranty. You can let them replace the fader for free within warranty

1 Like

Yep, will definitelly just air blow but will take it to the shop and will keep you all posted. Thanks for your tips. Cheers M

Ahh. So nothing that could be sending MIDI to the TR8S? My thoughts were that something external was sending MIDI that the LT track was responding to. :slight_smile: