Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Perhaps someone can help me out here, I am clearly an idiot. My TR8S isn’t finding the update file. I’ve followed the instructions both as outlined on the Roland website and also following youtube walkthroughs. I have also tried via both USB connection in storage mode and via the SD card…

Every time when I turn it back on (holding shift) to get into update mode it always says ‘No update file found’… I’ve downloaded the file, unzipped it, haven’t renamed it, and I’m moving the .bin update file into the root ROLAND folder on the SD card (or via the USB). It is clearly on the card but when I put the card back into the TR8S it’s not finding it… what am I doing wrong!!?! Any advice greatly appreciated!

Try it without the SD card at all. I did mine directly from USB connection to the computer (where the TR8S appears as a removable drive).

Follow the Roland instructions for this way of doing it carefully though please!

1 Like

Installed the new firmware yesterday. Didnt have much time to play with it, but man those menus are a bit of a hassle to work with when you had so many parameters on the new FM models. I need to install the editor again. I think it will be better when i get more familiar with the parameters.

The menu system and tiny screen are what stop me from getting another TR8S. I’m sure I’d get used to it but oh man I don’t want to try! The Virus screens are also a bit cramped but at least you get multiple parameters per page to tweak.

One of the main limitations of the FM I hear is the ability to easily input melodic parts.

Is it possible to do this with an external MIDI controller?

1 Like

This is a great update without a doubt, but these new FM models really make me wish - even more than I did before - that Roland would update the control knobs to allow all of them to be assignable, as per the 707. Otherwise (without the software controller) I think it’s difficult to realise the potential.

It’s a bit much to complain when the 8S was already pretty complete, but I’d give up all these new sounds and effects for assignable controllers and a couple more LFOs (ideally one per track, but three master LFOs would do the trick). The single LFO has always been the most baffling aspect of the 8S for me.

But, as opposed to no update at all, this is a nice surprise and very welcome.

1 Like

Great update for these boxes. Deeper FM options and step probability (amongst other things)! Starting to get into the model cycles territory with the new FM options. Wish we could have chromatic mode to record melodic parts. Pretty underrated drum boxes and play nicely with Elektron stuff.

5 Likes

Nice!

Beyond me why they couldn’t let you remove the individual tracks from the main output in order to record only the fx on the stereo channel (as you can on all elektron boxes). Makes the master channel fx useless if you are trying to multitrack record over usb. A pity as there are sum nice fx.

You can choose which output the individual track will use. If you choose any other output than master it goes out of the assigned output and not the master anymore. So I dont see any problem here. Have all my hats + the effects going out to the master. Bassdrum, snare, toms,… have their own.

Did you copy ONLY the file from the folder you find in the zip file?
Also save eject TR8S.

Please let me know where do you find this option? Is this on the 8s only? On the 6s I cant seem to get the individual tracks out of the main output and record the individual over usb only.

Hi, yes-just the .bin folder from the file, and yes I ensured that I ejected the usb/SD card safely… it really is a bit of a mystery to me!!

The FM kick is great addition. AFAIK it’s the only kick where you can fully control the sweep decay and depth for more in-depth shaping.

Oh sorry, didn’t knew you mean the 6s. Its on the 8s like that. Don’t have 6s. :frowning:

This update got me started using the editor as well. I have to say it all works really smooth! Very happy they made the machine this deep and created an editor for it, while still being a very hands on machine that’s very performance oriented :slight_smile:

You can remove them by Nulling them. I did this with success, but it is a hassle indeed.

Have you tried sending program changes from Elektron to TR-8S. It’s not good.

You copied only the file, not the folder, right?

2 Likes

You would. I did. Now I wouldn’t change my TR8-S for any other drum machine. I love it.

Honestly, button push for button push, its no more menu divey than any elektron machine.

You can shape your sound in real time either way.

Edit: personal experience / subjective opinion may vary.

5 Likes