Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Besides the new functionality, probably the “ugliest green ever factor” finally finds relief in a slightly less painful alternative. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not out yet.

1 Like

Indeed, and still much less painful than my Rytm was in mute mode! :slight_smile:

I like that you can customize color for each track. I’m surprised Elektron doesn’t allow for this feature with the newer multi-color LED’d MK2s.

2 Likes

I’m really curious if there is an MX-1S in the wings. It still owns the market for that sort of product.

2 Likes

Based on my limited understanding- I thought each pattern was limited to 1 bar

If I’m wrong, someone please correct me

Each pattern is a bar, but each pattern (there are 128) holds within it room for 8 unique variations, and these can be chained.

So, in Elektron terms, each of the 128 patterns can be up to 8 unique bars long. Plus the 3 different fill variations.

Setting the fills aside, it’s the same effective amount of pattern/step memory as a 16 bank, 256 pattern (@ 4 bars ea) Octatrack Project. Or twice that of A4, or AR, DT… etc.

3 Likes

Dont expect Roland to Support Aira after seven years…anyone remember VariOS? Or VSynth?

I had the TR8. Nice machine, fun to use but i Always longed for more sound sculpting capabilities which i finally found with the Digitakt.
TR8s…Not sexy to me. Sound seems very sterile to my ears. And they replaced the Attack and Snappy Buttons with a simple Ctrl Button that you must assign upfront? WTF!

1 Like

I just preordered my tr8s too. I’ve had the idea of ordering another tr8 for some time now. I missed my first one and this is a bigger badder version of it. After I made my order I wondered if there would be some new version of the original aira crew, especially the tb3, and mx1. Roland would definitely recoup many of the lost customers to all of the let downs from with aira. New sampler in the future? Not just a 404 with fugly green paint.

I’d sell the DT to fund the 8S but if I’m not mistaken, the 8S doesn’t sequence midi. Correct?

“Don’t be silly. I’m still gonna buy it!”

1 Like

@plusn

I’m just not convinced by this machine at all.

2 Likes

potential vulnerabilities…

From the looks of the manual and the sample edit screen, the tweaks you make to a sample’s parameters are carried over on EVERY kit that uses that sample.

They aren’t kit level parameters.
The changes you make to a sample’s settings in the sample edit screen are baked into the sample, so to speak, and changed in every kit that references the sample.

Bit clunky.

2 Likes

Between the Aira MX-1, System-1M, and System 8 Roland Aira has had some really good stuff going on and had dropped the green trim good to see the TR-8S is following suit. Would love to see a new box that is the equivelent of the TR-8S for the synth stuff though… basically all the boutique units loaded into a groove box with some user synths (based on using ACB parts to piece together your own classic roland Frankenstein). People love to hate on the Aira stuff… but really only the first stuff in the line had that awful green trim that didn’t match the colors of the lights. My guess it was always a bit of a case of analog fever and mob mentality of hating green. :nauseated_face:

I’m curious how the semitone tuning works with the TR-8S… anyone know if you can just plug in some midi keys?

2 Likes

I’d like to know that as well.

Those faders on it are making it look really fun, I think they did a good job on design this time, almost looks like a colaboration with Elektron

The TR-8S will respond to MIDI note messages, but it seems that only one MIDI note number can be assigned per instrument.

You can probably use the motion sequencing to create melodies, but I believe that this will only work on the sample sounds, not on the ACB sounds.

Disclaimer: this is from me reading the manual; I haven’t seen any of the video demonstrations yet.

2 Likes

Off topic: I would love another R8. I should never have traded mine.

3 Likes

Thanks - that was quite helpful.

I still wish that they would implement class compliance as well as their driver version. For me, Linux - since on stage, all my audio runs into a RasberryPi (!)

showoff :tongue:

Cool, thanks for that. I’m still in the foothills with OT and haven’t really gotten into the midi sequencer too much. Such a great machine.

I have been pretty set on a Nord Drum cause it sounds aces and has really huge variety but the immediacy of this is pretty tempting. Really wish they brought over some of the v-drum stuff in addition to simulating their electronic machines.

1 Like