Rumour: new Korg Volca(s)

Gaz Williams said more Volca’s are on the way in this @Bobeats video from today!!

Thoughts? Granular? EFX?

2 Likes

A mixer in the volca format (to be released before the kickstarter one)

An effects unit in the volca format

Another digital volca, like a miniature blofeld

A granular sampler (ala microgranny)

The koma elektronik fieldkit fx is already a superb mixer choice for the volcas.

But if any new instruments are forthcoming, I am very much looking forward to it!

3 Likes

I’d like a Volca Station, or a Volcatribe. Throw in the best of them into a funkier groove box of sorts, kick up the size just enough to make it durable and dear lord add some kind of export, or I don’t know what to tell my son.

And press Go.

4 Likes

Volca wavetable, because I prayed to the god of Korg every day :pray: with lots of :level_slider: and :control_knobs: ˋs a tiny :joystick: for perfect :notes: pads then I will shit only :rainbow: ! Or it will be just a korg “volca snare” …

4 Likes

Volca Cowbell. :cb:

11 Likes

A volca snare, capable of replicating all the og roland analog drumbox snares, would actually be a great complement to a rytm :nyan: I dunno why but replicating x0x roland snares is really tricky with the ar…

Volca Wavestation FTW!

or a Volca M1?

2 Likes

This, I’ve been dreaming of!

Volca no :volcano:

5 Likes

I want a Volca physical modelling synth with 64 patch & pattern memory locations, 32-step patterns, and an aluminum enclosure.

3 Likes

This might be an unpopular opinion around here, but I don’t think the Volcas have aged well…

The sample and the FM are by far the best, but at around £125 they’re still not great value for what you get… especially when buying multiple units. Getting all the Volcas would cost like £700.

3 Volcas will set you back £375 which is quite pricey when a Novation Circuit does a hell of a lot more for £250.

Don’t get me wrong, they played an important role and helped push analog synths into more consumer’s hands, but right now I think there are better options.

That being said, I feel that something between the Elektribe and the Volcas could do very well. Something analog with a few more features than the Volca series but still targeting the budget market.

2 Likes

Volca polka

6 Likes

I agree with this, especially re: the volca beats. Sure it’s analog, but a PO-12 blows it out of the water IMHO

1 Like

Yes, the Volcas will be remembered more for the gates they opened, less for what they actually did as instruments. But that’s not a bad legacy, not bad at all.

3 Likes

People have been asking for the mixer for years but there’s lots of choices for small mixers now, like the aforementioned Koma Fieldkit and the Bastl Dude.

I doubt they’re going to do anything really weird, but I’m still looking forward to whatever it is. Hopefully something digital because they’ve got the analog pretty well covered at this point, unless they want to make something with PWM to appease Nick Batt. I love my volca sample and volca FM. The beats is the weakest of the bunch, but it can be good fun too.

1 Like

I pretty much use the Volca Bass every time I turn on the gear multipoints power switch, not least because it has been modded with a MIDI out that makes it quite useful as a basic sequencer setup (complete with active step and slides) for controlling other stuff - it’s currently controlling an SV-1 Blackbox, and doing a good job of it too while syncing an SQ-1 for a 0-Coast and Erebus; the Analog 4’s not even really been in use much with them all as yet.

Having three further VCOs to tweak on the bass is also good fun… even if it’d be even better with more steps on the sequencer.

1 Like

I’m thinking that a volca version of the DW 8000 would be potentially cool. I don’t think a lot of people remember that one anymore, but it would be worthy of an update imo. I always thought hybrids were some of the best sounding synths. There is plenty of room for improvement in the DW8000, but with some updates/modern conveniences, I think it would be quite successful.

Korg DW-8000 Sound Examples

I think there’s far more reason to do a DW volca than there ever was to do a D-50 Roland boutique. I have a Roland D-20 (I think it sounds more personal than the D-50) and I have to admit it mostly sits in the corner unloved. As digital synths go, I feel like more people nowadays would want the DW8000 type of sound than anything else that hasn’t already been brought back at this point.

Of course, it’s probably going to be a new idea instead of something old. I think a volca multi-fx unit would make sense at this point, but so far it’s been all instruments, so they’ll likely stick to that strategy. I just hope it’s not another drum machine or sampler. I doubt they could bring anything new to the table in either of those areas at this point.

I’d love to see a volca Radias, but that seems like an almost impossible task so I won’t hold my breath.

1 Like

I think post Tats that the volca line may not have as strong offerings as the first handful. The guy was key to the series. But, I would definitely like to see some sort of volca with wavetable synthesis, something that korg did quite well back in thne day. The volcas have basically been throwback to older synthesis (fm-dx7, beat-808, sample-mpc, bass-303) so i think it is likely that we will get a volca reinmagining of a classic synthesis technique. Wavetable is logically whats left. Also i really dont see a volca mixer as a necessity, there are many small form mixers already available on the market.

I have four volcas (beat, key, sample, & fm) and really the only one that sees heavy use anymore is the volca key.