Saving Kits

Say i put some 808 sounds on all 8 audio tracks, i’d like to save that as ‘808 Kit’ so i can load it up again in future - how is this done?

I’ve read the manual section 9 about kits etc but cant see how to save them.

Thanks

Not possible sadly :frowning:
Indeed manual introduces concept of kits but its implementation leaves a lot to be desired - specifically no way to save / manage kits directly
There are some workarounds for this like e.g. creating a template project and using last bank’s patters as sort of kits (and then copy-paste them)

2 Likes

To add on to @baton’s point, I would load your samples as suggested on the first pattern, save that project as 808 Kit, then load it up every time I wanted that kit and, before doing anything else, save it as a new project so that you preserve your original kit and can use the new project for your current track.

cheers both :slight_smile: appreciate that.

Yeah im doing what this guy suggested - Digitakt Drum Kit Tutorial - True Elektron Knowledge - YouTube

Using patterns as kit holders. Im gonna use the last 2 banks, G and H to hold 32 patterns, but really they will be kits.

Quick question - im building the kits now, but its super tedious going from one pad to the next, i have to keep backing out the menu browser tree then select my next pad and go again - is there a quicker way or loading my sounds on to the next pad without having to navigate all back up the tree each time?

im doing ‘FNC + SRC, then FNC + YES’ each time to get to my samples.

Thanks

Not really. It’s tedious work. Maybe these?

NAVIGATING
[FUNC] + [RIGHT] (In the SAMPLES menu) opens a directory.
[FUNC] + [LEFT] (In the SAMPLES menu) exits a directory and backs one step up in the directory hierarchy.

2 Likes

thanks will try.

One thing im noticing already is im gonna need a pen and paper next to the DK with a list of what bank and pattern has what kit on it.
In the heat of battle when you think ‘where’s my 808 kit’ say, i need to know which pattern and bank they’re saved under lol

will post in feature requests about kits

1 Like

ugh im going nuts here - im in bank H, created an 808 kit on pattern 1 then a 909 on pattern 2. Both in Bank D. Saved the project as ‘kits’ just to be safe. But whenever i alternate patterns im only ever getting my 909 kit. the 808 one is lost. If i load Bank D pattern 1 - the 808 kit is not there anymore.

Any ideas what im doing wrong here?

Thanks

Although i have my workflow working (saving projects empty with only samples as kits and lock them so they can’t be accidentally overwritten) i had a lightbulb moment. While working in a project hitting the ——- button i read the option “save kit to project / load kit from project. If only a secondary sub menu is added where i can choose other projects to load from that might work ain’t it? Perhaps it only loads and saves kit data, not the actual samples from +drive to memory… :thinking:

It’s like its not saving the sounds/samples of each pattern i make. The guy on that video i linked to above has it working though.

I just cant figure out how he did it!

The first 8 samples in a project loaded are available and allocated in order to T1-T8 ready for recording. So each pattern has this “kit” by default. If you choose, say Bank B 1 and you want the samples 8-16 allocated you press T1 and assign the sample to that track by browsing and yes. Repeat that for all 8 tracks and now bank B pattern one is “kit 2”

+drive is the basement, the internal crate dig environment.
In a project you can load up 64Mb of samples from the basement for use of that project. Each pattern track can have it’s own sample from that 64Mb samplepool and on top you can plock sounds from soundpool or samplepool on one ore more trigs. They chocke each other because each track has one voice.
I guess you have to wrap your head around how file management works elektron’s way. It’s quite easy when you visualize it. Hope this helps.

1 Like

But what i dont understand is, i load 8 samples on to the tracks 1-8. This is on Bank H - Pattern 1.
I click the (. . .) and choose ‘save to project’ and save kit data, also tried saving sequence data - then i go to Bank H pattern 2 and load a different 8 samples in. Save the same way again.
BUT now i go back to H pattern 1 and its sounds are replaced by the ones i just made in pattern2.

Does that make sense?

But yet in that video above, the guy has it where he has different sounds for different patterns.

I just dont get how he did that.

Is it because im getting my samples from the +drive and they need to be in the ram? That cant be right though because you can only store 127 sounds in that RAM. I want to be able to make loads of kits.

Are you choosing new sample slots for your new kit, rather than replacing the original ones. I.e., using slots 9-16 for the second kit?

1 Like

No. But like i say, that video of that guy using patterns for kits, he isnt using pads 9-16 anywehre, he just jumps from pattern to pattern and hey presto a new kit loads each time with different sounds on 1-8

It’s not about PADS, it’s about SLOTS. So on pattern 1, SAMPLE SLOTS 1-8 are on pads 1-8. On pattern 2, SAMPLE SLOTS 9-16 are on pads 1-8. On pattern 3, SAMPLE SLOTS 17-24 are on pads 1-8. So the issue with this method is, unfortunately, that you are filling up your sample pool with sounds you may not use in a particular project.

DT really needs legit kits. This shiz is ridiculous.

1 Like

Wow this is ridiculous! I agree!

And how many sample slots can we have?

I plan on making like 32 kits each with 8 sounds in, is this even possible? So Bank G and H have 16 patterns of different kits in them

Thanks for the info and explaining all.

this is where you’re going wrong. you’re replacing the samples when you do this, chucking them out of the project for the new ones. you have 127 sample slots per project so shouldn’t be any need to be replacing the samples. but yea… DT’s file management system can be tedious and fickle. needs work…

2 Likes

rightttttt, starting to make sense, man this sucks though. dont want to complain but this sure seems counter intuitive.

So if i load 128 samples into the slots, i can only ever have 16 kits made at any one time (8 sounds per kit x 16 = 128)

This sucks big time!

Also - say i do make 16 kits with 128 samples loaded in the slots - then i decide to change one of the kicks for one from the +drive, that kit is messed up then because its been replaced by the +drive one.

this could get messy REAL fast i envision.

correct (but it’s 127 sample slots, not 128)

i don’t see how anything would be messed up… how do you mean?

If I may suggest so:

You are pretty set on a workflow that you have in your head and try to force upon a groove box that has a pretty specific workflow by design. This is a perfect recipe for disappointment and frustration :wink:

Setting up patterns as templates / kits is a great way to work but filling up an entire project with samples to use as kits is a bit of a waste. You max out your project with samples / kits you might not even use in a project that way.

In stead you could use the +drive as your kit database. Create a folder for each kit containing 8 samples, with the samples numbered in their names in the order you want to have them in a pattern.
Now create a template project where the default samples are removed (go to sample manager, left arrow, view RAM, select the samples, right arrow, Unload samples.

Now for your bank H, set up each pattern so they use sample slots 1-8, the next one 9-16, next one 17 - 24 etc. The sample slots are empty at this point of course.

What you can do now is go to the sample browser , go to a folder with a kit, select the 8 samples, press right arrow, load to project. And boom, pattern 1 in bank H now has a kit loaded. Rinse repeat from here. The samples will be loaded into the next free 8 sample slots and thus pattern two will contain the second kit.

You could keep doing this for your most used kits but leave a bunch of slots empty for various kits you might want to use in the future. Save project as “kits template”.

Just an idea :+1:t2:

12 Likes