Science Lab Challenge, February 2015

This seems weird maybe, but if I win (which I have extremely little possibility of doing) I will donate the machine to a local school for their music program. I can imagine a ton of youngsters learning on it throughout the years and going on to do great things. THere are a ton of schools tightening the budget on music and so many people can’t afford to rent an instrument much less ever buy something like an Elektron. Not trying to sway any votes here but it’s the right thing for me to do and me writing it here makes me obliged to do so. Can you imagine having a machinedrum or a Rytm in your high school band room?? I remember there was an MMT-8 and an HR16 in my junior high band room in this small locked room. The band director would never let me play it because he had no idea how to use it. I really wish I could have been in that little room working on that thing rather than blowing on that Bari Saxaphone.

This is why I wouldn’t do it. I see it sitting in a closet and possibly getting beat up on. It would be one thing if it was a Moog that you can just twiddle and play but I don’t see a music teacher having the time to invest in learning it, then teaching kids how to use it. Or worse, it could end up being used as a metronome or something.
Nice idea though.

You’re in luck! It just so happens that I started a school, moments ago! Please donate your Analog Rytm to: (d) c/o glitched.org’s school for the deaf, 1212 anywhere street, Wallawalla, Washington, 99362.

This is a difficult question, as it depends how the judges will be listening to it. Will they listen to it with earbuds, larger headphones, on small computer speakers, on larger hi-fi speakers or on a nightclub sound system?

As it is an MP3 this already limits your options as the MP3 compression process removes a lot of the audio detail compared to a FLAC or WAV.

On top of that, all the Elektronauts, how will they listen to it?

There was a famous record producer - was it Phil Spector? I forget. - who would listen to his tracks on his car radio because in the 1950s and 1960s that is how most people would have heard his tracks.

EDIT: heh, just found a track that purports to be all the lost data when a song is converted to MP3, but since when I listen to a track on the internet it will be compressed to reduce the file size then surely I shouldn’t be able to hear anything.

Longest thread in shortest time ever :wink:

This is my favorite of all the questions so far on this thread.[/quote]
:+1: +1

What styles are people coming out with on their tunes??

Mine’s a sort of bouncy squidgy Techno. (can yer guess what machine I’m using?)

this is a lot of fun!!! I am anxious to hear the songs! :+1:

do you rent out your time machine ? #page10

i’m no judge, but whichever way you look at it, that is (re)sampling - even though there’s a much subtler yet legitimate (maybe!) way to do a ‘similar’ thing internally on the OT, bit of a grey area indeed, best get some clarity

i’m no judge, but whichever way you look at it, that is (re)sampling - even though there’s a much subtler yet legitimate (maybe!) way to do a ‘similar’ thing internally on the OT, bit of a grey area indeed, best get some clarity[/quote]
Basically the way I think it works… If they load the project file into their (ot, ar, or md) and they pres play, the track should sound exactly the same (minus paramiter mangling) which means if the sample was edited in any way in any of the tracks it will load differently and no longer fit within the rules of the competition.
I think it’s pretty clear. If one of your channels has an edited or re-sampled bit and it is suddenly replaced with the original sample by the elektron judges that part will sound completely different.

that sounds very pragmatic, but you could set up a flex recorder to resample endlessly by starting with the original and not require any cabling up - it has got a little bit confused re the specifics if not the intent - you could do a hell of a lot to that sample by recording it through some crossfader-action scenes; that’s using the OT, but it’s definitely resampling, nothing for me to worry about as i’m using this as an exercise to delve into the AR

i read it that the only material that can be present in a flex or static slot is the original sample in its entirety, fwiw, you can alter start/stop and slice locations … just a thought

Submission Submitted. Now if only I could get rid of the ringing from my audio interface. Probable solution: buy a new audio interface. and a new computer.

I just got my Octatrack at the start of February, and while working on my track, I was dying to hear what you were all writing. So in the spirit of openness and transparency…

https://soundcloud.com/accretion-of-planetesimals/looping-as-vice

Greetings Elektronauts.
If using an input machine on MD is classed as resampling then I’ve failed the challenge. I’m gonna submit anyway. To me resampling means writing a file to memory and then further manipulating it (using a ram or flex.).

This was a really great lab. The 3 minute rule is an amazing way of working.

I look forward to hearing all the tracks.

This is the part I’m struggling with now. I’m paring down my patterns and trying to get it down to < 3 minutes.
Might try out the arranger to constrain myself and prevent missing pattern changes.
Can you still do everything you would normally do (i.e. scenes, etc) while the arranger is playing back? Is it basically just changing patterns for you?

I have to say this is the funniest thing happened on this forum in a long time…my track will not be in the top but i will value the knowledge i got from this challenge forever. More of this…this sort of stuff gets me really motivated
:stuck_out_tongue:

Started working on this today, powered up the OT for the first time in over a month to work on something new, 3 hours went by like nothing:-). Really amazing how much it is possible to get from a short sample like that.

i’m no judge, but whichever way you look at it, that is (re)sampling - even though there’s a much subtler yet legitimate (maybe!) way to do a ‘similar’ thing internally on the OT, bit of a grey area indeed, best get some clarity[/quote]
I figured as much, and though i doubt ill even want to use it, I was just curious as thats somewhat of a grey area since youre not technically re-sampling it and technically its an “in box” effect.
BUt yeah, having tons of fun with this. I never really delved too deep into the sampling mangling aspect before, just light sampling. Most certainly not going to win, but have learned a bit more in a time crunch.

[quote="" natrixgli""]

This is the part I’m struggling with now. I’m paring down my patterns and trying to get it down to < 3 minutes.
Might try out the arranger to constrain myself and prevent missing pattern changes.
Can you still do everything you would normally do (i.e. scenes, etc) while the arranger is playing back? Is it basically just changing patterns for you?[/quote]
You can change scenes, use delay control, etc. just like you would normally if you use the arranger. You can also mute/unmute, chop up patterns, change BPM, and lock scenes to rows. It’s really helpful for this Science Lab IMO.

I ended up using the arranger, it’s really cool!