Science Lab Challenge, February 2015

A quick barrage of questions before I lose a week doing this :wink:

Just to be 100% clear on this, is it ok to load the sample into as many Octatrack slots as necessary and set slice points / loop points differently on each and all that jazz?

Also presumably its fine to use arranger?

Finally what about the old midi out to midi in trick to sequence xfader transitions and all that? Iā€™ve got a few plans and donā€™t want to get too deep into it if Iā€™m disqualifying myself :wink:

Yes, you can load the same sample into multiple Slots in the OT. Though, as mentioned before you can not use the Audio Editor in the OT.

Arranger is OK.

As long as you are not using resampling with the fader transition, it is OK.

Yes, you can load the same sample into multiple Slots in the OT. Though, as mentioned before you can not use the Audio Editor in the OT.

Arranger is OK.

As long as you are not using resampling with the fader transition, it is OK.[/quote]
Nice one Cenk :slight_smile:

I saw the intro video, my question is whether we can use the drum samples in the OT or not?

Im new to the OT - still learning and i did read the thread but can we use the neighbor machines, FX, echos (thatā€™s resampling isnā€™t it)?

One more question for this never ending listā€¦
When you say ā€œcanā€™t use the audio editorā€ in the OT, does this mean that we canā€™t set the start and end points in the trim window? or just that we cant perform any edits?

Sorry Iā€™ve got another quick question. On OT entries are we allowed to feed outputs into inputs eg; using outputs 3/4 to send cue output from various channels into inputs 1/2 to use a channel as an aux send? /geek

Donā€™t want to get so smartass on my submission that its not a valid entry :wink:

But isnā€™t it so, that in the OT all the trimming and looping actually happens inside the AUDIO EDITOR?. could somebody please clarify what edits exactly are prohibited inside the audio editor & whats not=)

ā€œYou canā€™t resampleā€ means you cannot save a sound with effects/editing/whatever and get this new sound as a new sample.
This is resampling.
Now using a neighbor is just adding effects to another track, so it cannot be seen as resampling : the source is still the original sample.

Thanks Lying Dalai

To Kuhnun, you can change the start and stop of the sample with the playback controlsā€¦

I respect that everyone has a right to their opinion, but am I the only one that is tired of reading countless negative posts from forum member AikiGhost? It is not just on this forum but many other places on the internet. Come on man lighten up a little!

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question. How does one send a SysEx from the Octatrack? I have C6, but didnā€™t see anything in the OT manual.

Cheers.

Mount the CF card to a computer and check the files in your projectā€™s folder. I believe everything is located there. Just copy and paste.

Are we allowed multiple submissions? I have an OT and MD UW. Am I allowed to submit one track done with ONLY the Octatrack and another done ONLY with the Machinedrum UW?

Also are there any limitations on the performance method? My typical workflow involves me using only one or two pattern banks and mostly just mute and unmute parts as needed plus using scenes. I assume the sysex dump is solely to confirm I indeed did use only the given sample and not for a direct playback of the track?

As the rules say, only the given sample can be usedā€¦ No drum or whatever samples are allowed for entries.

Neighbour machines n fx can be used.

Only one submission from 1 person regardless of the machine type.

There are no limitations on how you perform the track, go bananaz!

Yes, sysex is to confirm and hear the essence of the submitted track, not to near the entire performance.

You would need to copy the project files from the CF card. Make sure you save your project first!

When saying Audio Editor, I mean the actual audio edit functions inside the EDIT page, where you can copy paste trim normalize reverse the sample in a destructive way are not allowed.

Changing start end loop points n slicing is of course allowed.

Errrr, why not :slight_smile:

For the OCTATRACK,
Iā€™d like to know if it is possible to use the 8 available tracks with different machine types.

Ie:
1 Flex
2 Thru
4 Flex
5 Thru
6ā€¦
7ā€¦
8 MASTER FX

I understand all sounds should be the result of the live machine process of the given sample.

Thank you !

JMA

^^ yes of course, as long as you are using the sample as the source for sound creation.

@fredrikalm @dataline hey guys, what is the preferred method of sharing the MP3? Is Drop Box OK? Will we get a confirmation that the submission has been received? Thanks guys. Awesome contest, looking forward to hearing all the tracks. Good luck fam!

Cenk - you mean these things you list are prohibited?

Sorry for off topic hereā€¦

I was about to compete and even made my drums pattern then I spotted your avatar and nickname. Mate, I just have been demotivated big time lol. No chance I would make something better than your productions :slight_smile:
I remember when I heard your track ā€œDonā€™t forgetā€, ā€œHigh volumeā€ about 3 years ago sitting with my best mate at our Woolwich flat.
Just wanted to say big thanks for your music and I hope you can win this competition!

Cenk - you mean these things you list are prohibited?[/quote]
Yes, destructive editing of the sample is not allowed.
However, you can achieve similar results by tweaking the track parameters - which is where the fun is at!

virtual_flannel wrote

Dropbox is fine :slight_smile:

Good luck!!!