Science Lab Challenge, February 2015

It’s actually noet boring at all, it’s amazing what you can do with just this little chunk of audio. You can make melodies, bass, percussion, pads, bassdrums and snares and then you can morph it so that the melody becomes the drums and vice versa. At least that’s what you can do in the octatrack.

In the famous words of Dataline: The limit is endless! :wink: I do think that 90% of the people is working on the Octatrack and since every product MD, AR and OT has it’s own winners, you probably have a huge advantage to make the track with the Analog RYTM… It seems like there will not be that many tracks to choose from in comparison to the Octatrack.

Hmm, not sure… I think its not what you use - its how you use.

:slight_smile:

I have had a quick attempt and it seems to me that it is easy to degrade a sound into a white noise that can pass for a snare, kick or bassline, but what is more difficult is finding more unusual and distinctive sounds. That seems to be the real challenge.

Great idea for a challenge, Elektron! It’s really making everyone dig deeper into their devices.

Pulling off tricks and pushing the sampling engine to the limits is very satisfying.

I can’t wait to hear what everyone comes up with!

Hey Dataline, i have found a bug on the Analog Rytm when working on the challenge.
When using a looped sample as an osc on the 1 machine (BD) with very short loop setting (ex : start 0 , end 0) the pitch is wrong. All other machine are fine with the same setting but machine 1 is not usable because its out of tune compared to the other machine with the exact same setting.

Hope that make sens.

Thanks.

BTW i’ve made the testing using the sample provided for the challenge and other samples as well.

just problem to find a fat snare but the rest is terrible for the moment!

Please report to support, thanks!

I had a great time yesterday creating sounds from the sample in AR. Got a few good kicks, a few bass sounds, hats, and an organ. Really fun stuff.

Spawned a few things I wished the AR allowed:

[ul]
[li]Disable choking between two tracks, if not possible for the syth machines at least make it possible for the sample machines[/li]
[li]If a sound has the synth disabled it should be able to be saved/loaded into any track. Or at least copied/pasted into any track. [/li]
[/ul]

I need to look at the manual again but I’m wondering if you can copy/paste say just the LFO settings, or Filter settings, from one track to another.

Yeah, knowing about not being able to bring up sounds between machines would have been good before starting…

That’s why this competition is so cool thought I guess, we’re really getting to know the machines properly - even their limitations and how to work with them

1. impossible, they share a voice, same issue for synth/sample
    2)again we can see why it’s not possible, but the workaround is to use page copy, i.e. hold sample+copy then on new track it’s sample+paste
    i think electron can sort this by introducing a synth engine called the ground machine which turns off the synth and allows ALL tracks to load a sound saved with a ground machine

You can copy individual pages (like sample, filter, amp and lfo) between different tracks.

So if you want to copy the sample page between two tracks you:

1. Press and hold the “sample” page button and then press “record/copy”. Display will say “copy page samp”.

2. Switch track.

3. Press and hold “sample” page button and press “stop/page”. Display will say “paste page samp”.

impossible…

I know they share the same analog synth voice (or at least that’s what I assumed). I have no idea if they have to share the same sample voice as that is digital. Usually the digital only stuff is pretty flexible

Playing the samples simultaneously is probably possible with a software change but I’d need an elektron engineer to know for sure.

You can copy individual pages

Cool, thanks. Seems like an ok workaround. Was wondering as I wrote my comment if there was something like this.

hate to be the last one in here with a stupid question … can I use the compression on track 1 from the effects page of flex machine in track 1?

(thats the only way I can get a kick, and the kick is the only thing I can get out of the hector sample)

This challenge makes me realize how badly I would like a second LFO page on the RYTM. Can we please, please, please, pretty please, please get that in a future update?

Boo… I have none of the machines with sample usability. If there’s an Analog Keys contest in the future, I’m in.

I have no delusions that I will be picking out a machine of my choice but I’m really looking forward to throwing this sample against the wall this weekend!

Huge thumbs up to Elektron for instigating a lab with the dangling of a carrot to really get people’s attention. If nothing else, you’ve facilitated some galvanizing of Elektron “lifers” by nudging us into a situation of discovery of these machine’s capabilities. It’s always a good reminder that from limitations you can achieve serious growth as an artist.

Mostly though, I CAN"T WAIT to hear what you guys come up with! There are a few people (who I won’t name, so as not to give them too much pressure, but most of us know who they are) that I am very interested in hearing how they approach this and which machine they choose to produce it on.

My money says the winner will have used an Octatrack, but I look forward to being proved wrong!

Spent an hour last night making some attempts with the OT. Easy to get enjoyably lost in the rabbit hole though
AR is my next attempt. I’ve a sneaking suspicion that the AR, hamstrung as it is sample-edit & FXwise compared to the OT, might be a bit more rhytmically musical for this sort of challenge. time will tell!
Great idea by elektron to resurrect these sort of fun challenges though with deliberate restrictions.
I hope Cenk is working hard on his Delia Smith ‘here’s one I made earlier’ example as part of the competition :joy:

lmfao! … i bet elektron did not see this post comming in their official thread for the competition! …