Science Lab Challenge, February 2015

Quick question…

Are you allowed compression on the master inside the AR/OT? Just not the DAW or is no compression on the master allowed at all?

Thaynks :wink:

hello,
I want to know
the sample who downloaded to serve us for the entirety of the track ?
it has no right to import sample wav or mp3?

and to finalize the track is not entitled to use such ableton to record the final track ?

excuse my speak English thank you

You’re right sir, one source only being the sample you downloaded, as many copies as you like, but not edited.
And no Ableton.

…except for recording (and just recording) the final track.

just to be clear,
in the audio editor:
Trim and Slice Sections are OK.

in the audio editor:
the section edit is not OK.
_
i can trim and slice however i want but cutting, copying and pasting parts of the sample etc. are not ok.
im new to the octatrack. got it for 4-5 days. but already read the whole manuel and watched all protips and know hows! im on FIRE!
I WANT THAT RYTM! - and im going to get it :wink: <3

is it OK (on MDUW) to output the sample directly to an input machine (filter/env)?

I’m having a lot of fun giving this lab a whirl. I made a huge mistake and lost a ton of work since I’m not used to using the octatrack in this sort of way. It’s ok, I climbed back on the horse and found new inspiration, but I’m concerned about losing more work going forward.

What I did wrong was deleted a slice grid on a sample that was copied from one track to another on the octatrack, thus deleting the slice grid on the original track as well. What I’m trying to figure out before messing up more work is if slice settings are preserved between different parts within a bank, or if they only exist on a particular sample slot in the assign menu. Could I, for example, get by using 7 different instances of the same sample (slots 1-7, tracks 1-7) with completely different parameter settings and then use those same slots in a new part with different parameters settings, or would I have to use 7 additional assign slots to make changes without messing up the first parts?

So… Could the same 7 instances of the sample be used differently in 8 separate parts, or would I need to fill 56 sample slots each uniquely assigned to a part?

I also lost parts of what i thought was really cool sample mangling at some point. How can you save a “state” you are playing to a “sound/track” preset?

Can i record part of the song to a DAW and layer my song like that or must it all play out of the octatrack?

I believe it’s OK to have x times the same original sample with different names, so that you can save and not share the slice info.
This is not resampling.

Genius editing ! Hilarious :slight_smile:

I don’t know, but whilst it sounds like a benign process, it does seem to be resampling, presumably adding colour, best get official fbk

Srsly! No. Yes !

For obvious reasons, this video is not my entry into the challenge.

ps. the last 20sec conform to the challenge rules. (OT only, with hector sample only)

Great contest !
One question:
I don’t know if compression and limited must be done by me or if it is Elektron.
I have no idea about compression and limited parameters !

I’m up to the 2 minute mark and have used so far:

1 arrangement, 38 patterns, 10 sample slots, 5 different genres and 3 bpms. I may be getting a little carried away here :stuck_out_tongue:

Great contest !
One question:
I don’t know if compression and limited must be done by me or if it is Elektron.
I have no idea about compression and limited parameters ![/quote]
it’s clear, you can do any compression inside your Elektron box (nothing else). Elektron may need to add ‘subtle’ compression for the sake of soundcloud listening balancing, that’s all

So…layering is not allowed?
Like I record the kick in one take, do some modulations while recording. Then record a bass on top while doing modulations…etc…
Or do you want me to record everything in one go?
(how are you going to control this anyway?)

Just submitted mine :smiley:

As long as you layer sounds that only use the SAMPLE, and NO SYNTH, then you can layer whatever you want…

That’s why i asked before if we could record live takes from the OT and layer tracks on the DAW… It’s kind of clear elektron wants us to use just the OT or AR or MD to produce this but how will they know if anyone cheats layering stuff on the DAW?