Sequential discontinuing the Prophet 12 Desktop

Thank you :slight_smile: that is very kind of you to say. I do like to think I make an effort to use field recordings in the way you describe it.

That is an old DFAM sample I’ve had lying around for some time, combined with noise from foot steps I recorded as I took a walk through the snow when we still had winter around here.

1 Like

Hang in there my friend…

Mine was stuck in Chicago for a good 2 weeks+ ( @jemmons was right, it eventually makes it out of the United airport at some point)

It made it to the post office today in Canada, will pick it up tomorrow…

:space_invader:

2 Likes

I just love the way this filter responds to audio rate modulation. Here’s two random pads making use of that technique: Waterworld and Bee Orchestra.

I’m honestly so into this synth. Eager to get my hands on a Pro 2 as well now.

5 Likes

Yes, I got it eventually (9 days in Chicago) after several calls to FedEx. It came in the Dave Smith box and no outer packaging and the box was water damaged, black and moldy smelling!! Thankfully, the contents were all sealed in plastic and in perfect condition, but I was pissed at the way it was shipped (Pro Audio Star if anyone is interested).

4 Likes

Oh man I had a bit of a heartattack reading that second sentence. I’m so happy the content were sealed and the synth is all good. Hope Pro Audio Star does something to make up for their poor service.

EDIT: the added picture is grim as hell.

1 Like

holy moly… did they have it in some flooded warehouse? make sure to double and triple check everything works.

Proaudiostar shipping seems to be careless. Not the first instance I have seen.

Got mine from proaudiostar too. Must have been sitting on a pile of them. Mine also shipped in the DSI box, for what it’s worth — though luckily dry and without mold.

Glad yours checks out! Scary seeing a package like that arrive on your doorstep.

Finally got it today.

Got mine from Detroit Modular, glad to say it arrived double boxed and pristine.

Althought extra points for DSI for the fact that they kinda seal-wrap their gear when they box it.

Now turning off internet, time to get in the lab.

9 Likes

Master @circuitghost, would you mind sharing some sound design tips on the P12? Do you have any go-tos or general advice?

Some workflow tips I found very helpful:

• Hold display program and press feedback select to make an init patch.
  • For assigning modulation to env or lfo, hold the modulator button briefly and wiggle/press the parameter you want to affect. Press button multiple times to scroll through parameters of that destination.
  • Hit global twice to set startup patch.
4 Likes

Thanks for asking. The title certainly carries some responsibility, to which I cannot live up to, I’m afraid. I don’t approach the Prophet 12 in any specific way, but just sort of move around and go wherever the mind takes me.

With that said, there are a few things I always do -

• Don’t use the delay as a traditional delay. You’ll be disappointed. Instead, apply it to create effects that give reverb-like qualities or even chorus style stuff. Turn off the sync. Set a looong tail on something and slam the HPF filtering of the tail into high gear. You’ll expand the room and widen the sound.

• The 12’s a bit rowdy on the frequencies. It’s not as contained as the more polite Prophet 6 or 5. I always use the high-pass filter to some extent, to just not get those low, thundering frequencies that EQ can’t fix (nor would I want to, I just prefer a clean source rather than trying to fix it in mixing). The character section’s Air can be considered like a subtle version of a high band EQ and the Girth like a low band equivalent. Their effect is subtle but you’ll notice them more clearly as you start using the results in a mix.

• Really pay attention to especially the reputed harsher tones of the Prophet 12. If you’re not entirely sure if you’re on the right side of the fence, dial down the low pass filter somewhat, to avoid those ear cutting patches. You don’t always hear them as clearly before you know the synth well, but you’ll notice them when you start using the material in context. And especially if you sample your work, like I do, this is the kind of stuff that’s not easily fixed in mixing. Especially the resonance can be pretty brutal if you’re not careful.

• The LFO slew rate is amazingly smooth. Even just a little, goes a long way to make those organic movements more alive. You don’t hear the movement, you just feel it. Lovely stuff.

• Always modulate something within the VCA. The envelopes on the Prophet 12 are fantastic. Especially the VCA responds so well to modulation and real time tweaks. This is where the synth’s heritage really shows. Filters are great and all, but the envelopes is where the real magic happens.

• Bi-timbrality is mostly overrated. There’s so much going on in one patch, you usually don’t need another one going at the same time. Especially since the output mixing is very limited. It gets crowded, fast.

• Don’t try to make it sound like a Prophet 6 or 5. You can’t. You can get close. But if you truly want that tone, the Prophet 12 can’t do it. Look for the sounds outside the classic ones, where you can still retain the vintage character. You don’t even have to use wavetables to find those tones, just the classic oscillators are enough. You get this synth because you want to explore sounds that you don’t find on records from the 80’s. You don’t want to replicate the Stranger Things theme or Pink Floyd’s On The Run. You’re not here to play Van Halen’s Jump nor go for the Blade Runner lead. Not today, anyway.

15 Likes

Quoting myself from earlier in this thread. Same ol’ same ol’. With the VERY notable exception that there’s a P12 module available second hand now… somewhere on the internet. For 1000€.

I probably don’t need to tell you but the icanhazsynth demos on Soundcloud are CRAZY GOOD!

2 Likes

really good insights here, as a new owner I appreciate it as well as the guy who asked i’m sure!

as for my word to the wise, one thing I had to do was tell myself constantly… you don’t need to use all the OSCs and LFOs ahaha. when I got the P12 I almost felt like I was wasting it by not trying to modulate everything all the time. often I find I get great results with just 2 or 3 osc voices.

as for your note about bitimbrality… noted as well. I have the A out going straight into my mixer and the B out going through my FX before the bluebox. this lets me easily route the P12 to my mixer either dry or wet, and if i’m feeling kinky I can often create a little mono sequence or bassline on the B layer without stealing from the A layer, which makes my SE02 and DB01 feel lonesome. I almost wonder with the split outs on the P12 if I can sell them…

overall the unit is really beautiful. almost anything I tweak gives me something charming in some way. I absolutely love the sounds and textures that come out of this thing.

3 Likes

Very good points, all. I rarely use all four osc or the sub osc. When splitting the P12 through a mixer, the bi-timbrality becomes very useful. That’s essentially two poly synths. For sound design, it’s messier, tho.

1 Like

The icanhazsynth demos was definitely what pushed me over the edge - alongside the tireless entusiasm of @circuitghost and a bit of panic due to the discontinuation.

If all goes well, my module arrives today! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I feel you, I most definitely do! :slightly_smiling_face:

Looks like someone, ehm, claiming to be me wrote the seller of the P12. Payment pending but this is going down!

3 Likes

For live performance the bi-timbral setting is incredible.

Examples -
left hand bass, right hand chords/leads
Left hand chords, right hand lead/arp

Or stacking a pad with an arp - though I prefer to use my novation SLMkIII to do this rather than the prophet settings…

I had a jam (in real life, woah) yesterday with a band and they were constantly amazed at the versatility of the thing, literally anything they asked me to do I could set it up so quickly. ‘Hey can you do a kindof 8-bit arp over that pad sound?’
‘Yep’
‘Oh shit is that delay stereo, nice!’
‘Yep’

And then when I had two patches running, holding the patch select so you’re editing both, and running both through the distortion to make a huge build.

Ah man it’s the perfect synth

Edit: oh yeah and being able to run the bass sound through a bass amp separately means you can shake the building

5 Likes

Probably a stupid question (i.e. that could be answered by reading the manual) but is it possible to split the P12 module into bi-timbral mode using something like the Moog Matriarch as a midi controller?

Edit: Suppose it is. :slightly_smiling_face:

Mmmmm I actually don’t know, I have mine always in bi timbral mode and use my keyboard to make splits and layers, so I don’t actually need to turn it off and on, if that makes sense

1 Like

For me 6 voices is more than enough, so I permanently rock it in bitimbral mode. I agree using the stacking might be overkill. There’s a few instances where it can be useful though, for example if you want to achieve poly unison.

Most annoying aspect of the bitimbral implemantation is the patch storage. You can’t save just one layer, and you can’t initialize just one layer.

Another few tips I’d give:

• Use random mod source to add subtle variation to a parameter (without having to sacrifice another Env or LFO). I use it lots on the filter frequency to give it some ‘drift’.
  • Random -> LFO Freq is a way to wack the LFOs for the voices out of sync. Great for cool textures and organic movement in pads.
  • Adding a tiny bit of a delay stage to the envelopes can sound amazing
  • Sending the envelopes to modulate their own decay can give you a snappier curve.
4 Likes